• The KillerFrogs

Grier to skip Bowl game?

LVH

Will be interesting the first time the star of a CF Playoff team elects not to play...I have a feeling it’s coming in the very near future. The opportunity to prove yourself against the best used to be the goal for young football players. That’s now been replaced by draft status..CFB is just a thing you do now to get that NFL money.

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

To me a lot of this is vanity. These players sit out because they feel like they are above bowl games, because other high draftable talent is doing it too, so its their way of puffing their chest out and saying "Yeah, look at me, I'm too good for a bowl game". Not because they are worried about getting hurt.

Frog-in-law1995

I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet.

To me a lot of this is vanity. These players sit out because they feel like they are above bowl games, because other high draftable talent is doing it too, so its their way of puffing their chest out and saying "Yeah, look at me, I'm too good for a bowl game". Not because they are worried about getting hurt.

What in the blue hell are you talking about? It’s entirely a risk avoidance consideration. These boys love to play football.

SwissArmyFrog

Jalen Smith had insurance ($9mm to be exact) and is doing OK I’d guess at the next level and financially.....

Quote from this NBC Sports article says Smith collected $900,000.

"Smith’s policy will pay $900,000 because he fell all the way to the 34th overall pick in the draft, Darren Rovell of ESPN reports. That doesn’t make up for the money Smith lost with his injury: If he’d been the third overall pick he would have signed a contract with a total value of about $26 million, but as the 34th overall pick he’ll get about $6.5 million on his rookie deal."

Here's the full article: https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...ll-receive-insurance-payment-myles-jack-wont/

Wexahu

This is gonna be more and more common every year. We’re not far at all IMO from 3rd year guys that have kind of solidified their draft status just sitting out their entire junior seasons and I don’t think players sitting out CFP games is all that far fetched at all, I know that’s what agents would recommend if a kid is already gonna be a Top 5-10 pick.

netty2424

This is gonna be more and more common every year. We’re not far at all IMO from 3rd year guys that have kind of solidified their draft status just sitting out their entire junior seasons and I don’t think players sitting out CFP games is all that far fetched at all, I know that’s what agents would recommend if a kid is already gonna be a Top 5-10 pick.
Doubt it goes that far. If it does, colleges should start re-writing scholarships to include contractual obligations to repay scholarship monies.

Wexahu

Doubt it goes that far. If it does, colleges should start re-writing scholarships to include contractual obligations to repay scholarship monies.

Honestly I’m not sure there’s much they could do other than have a next man up outlook, which would probably be ok.

This is kind of the college player’s answer to not being able to be paid. So be it.

netty2424

Honestly I’m not sure there’s much they could do other than have a next man up outlook, which would probably be ok.

This is kind of the college player’s answer to not being able to be paid. So be it.
Yah I don’t fault guys that truly have a lucrative NFL career ahead of them. But at some point, College football has to protect it’s own brand and may have to make its own business decisions to counter something so extreme. Hope it doesn’t come to that.

Eight

hmmm....contractual obligations? that sounds that something you would find between and employer and an employee.

ncaa and schools can't and work do a thing about this for one very good reason.

frog-hat

which is why the NFL should let them be drafted sooner than 3 years out of high school. the notion that some aren't NFL ready just isn't true anymore. it would also help with parity in the college game as the Bamas Ohio States and Clemson of the world will have more of those players leaving even earlier.

netty2424

hmmm....contractual obligations? that sounds that something you would find between and employer and an employee.

ncaa and schools can't and work do a thing about this for one very good reason.
Or similar to the paperwork every student athlete signs before stepping onto campus.

Eight

Or similar to the paperwork every student athlete signs before stepping onto campus.

the more restrictions and requirements, especially those that favor the school over the athlete the closer the schools get to crossing the threshold to becoming an employer.

if a student is on an academic scholarship and they get a chance to start an internship that might lead them to a job they aren't prevented from taking the intern position.

add in that bowl is basically an exhibition game, the school makes money off their attendance, and the coach might be paid a bonus for making the bowl and the idea of mandating participation for a student leaving school and the program sounds a great deal like an employment contract