• The KillerFrogs

Grier to skip Bowl game?

Brog

Yeah, I know, he's got millions, maybe, hanging on his NFL future, but there's a putrid flavor to this announcement. Were I a WVu fan,I'd be very disappointed.

West Virginia quarterback Will Grier announced Saturday that he will skip the Mountaineers' bowl game to prepare for the next stage of his football career — the NFL draft.

MTfrog5

The list of players doing this is in double figures and will only become more common moving forward. I’ve seen guys doing the same so far from NC St, Iowa, Minnesota, LSU, Houston, Michigan, OK St..... Doesn’t really bother me at all. These games mean very little at the end of the day.
Will be interested to see how Bowls react to this too. Would think WVU will bring less fans now to the bowl game. Will Bowls start to pick over teams in fear their the star player won't be playing?

dawg

Playing in the Fiesta Bowl cost Jalen Smith millions, as he’d have been a top five pick. College players noticed.

Selfishly, unwanted WVU to pack some secsecsec fudge, but I can’t say I blame him.

frog-hat

Or can schools deduct a pro rata amount of the athlete's scholarship money for not playing the entire schedule?
I suspect his academic career ends when the semester ends. No reason for him to hang around afterwards and play in an exhibition game. I don’t fault Grier at all.

BleedNPurple

Don’t blame him. Bowl games are a good chance for next year’s team to start playing together. He’s probably more interested in working with his NFL QB coach at this time and getting ready for the combine, pro days, other tryouts to start his future!

FrogLifeYo

Will be interesting the first time the star of a CF Playoff team elects not to play...I have a feeling it’s coming in the very near future. The opportunity to prove yourself against the best used to be the goal for young football players. That’s now been replaced by draft status..CFB is just a thing you do now to get that NFL money.

notyalc

If it was a Playoff Game I wonder how NFL teams would view skipping. Seems like a pretty selfish characteristic.

y2kFrog

Will be interesting the first time the star of a CF Playoff team elects not to play...I have a feeling it’s coming in the very near future. The opportunity to prove yourself against the best used to be the goal for young football players. That’s now been replaced by draft status..CFB is just a thing you do now to get that NFL money.

Why would you play any of the season if your not going to play in playoff game?

AroundWorldFrog

Not much competitive fire or love of the game if you [ Finebaum ] out a chance to win the national championship.

Edit. Should have been sit out, but might as well be [ Finebaum ] out.