• The KillerFrogs

Great Pick Up By TCU Women's Basketball

Scott

"KillerFrogs.com....your source for TCU SPORTS"
Whitney is a GREAT young lady & a friend to my family. The Frogs wanted her 2 years ago & she chose Iowa St over TCU. Must sit out next year....but watch out in the Fall of 2011.

April 30, 2010

FORT WORTH—The TCU women’s basketball team has added guard Whitney Williams, a transfer from Iowa State, to its roster, head coach Jeff Mittie announced Friday. Williams will sit out next season as a redshirt before becoming eligible to play for the Frogs as a junior in 2011-12.

A native of Fort Worth, Williams played two seasons at Iowa State, each ending in deep Cyclone NCAA Tournament runs. Overall, she played in all 69 contests in her two years, including 14 starts this past season as a sophomore while helping the Cyclones reach the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament. ISU advanced to the Elite Eight during her freshman season in 2008-09.

Williams, a 5-7 guard, averaged 20.1 minutes per game with totals of 5.9 points, 1.0 rebound and 1.6 assists per contest in 2009-10. She shot 40.1 percent overall from the field and ranked fourth in the Big 12 Conference in 3-point percentage with a rate of 40.0 percent. She also shot 87.0 percent from the free-throw line as a sophomore. Williams opened her career by appearing in each of ISU’s 36 contests as a freshman in 2008-09, averaging 2.1 points and 1.0 assist per game.

While Williams has been a fixture on the court in her first two seasons, she also has excelled in the classroom. She earned a spot on the Big 12 Commissioner’s Honor Roll for Fall 2008.

Williams joined Iowa State after playing prep basketball for the THESA Riders of the Texas Home Educators Sports Association. A four-time All-American, she won the National Christian Homeschool Championship as a junior and senior and was tournament MVP both years. The squad was the national championship runner-up her freshman and sophomore campaigns.

Williams scored 3,630 points and hit 569 3-pointers while starting all four years of her prep career. She drilled 198 treys and turned in 1,201 points for a 23.5 points-per-game average as a junior, leading her team to a 40-11 overall mark, before scoring 19.1 points per game as a senior. Her efforts as a senior helped earn her the Pete Maravich Award, which is given to only one player each year at the NCHBC tournament

Nick Danger

QUOTE(Scott @ Apr 30 2010, 08:35 PM) [snapback]553636[/snapback]
A native of Fort Worth, Williams played two seasons at Iowa State, each ending in deep Cyclone NCAA Tournament runs. Overall, she played in all 69 contests in her two years, including 14 starts this past season as a sophomore while helping the Cyclones reach the Sweet 16 round of the NCAA Tournament. ISU advanced to the Elite Eight during her freshman season in 2008-09.

Doesn't look like she has a history of losing in the first round of the playoffs! Hope she fits in here.... :blink:

FeistyFrog

Sir FeistyFrog
QUOTE(Scott @ Apr 30 2010, 09:15 PM) [snapback]553662[/snapback]
She is a BIG pick up!

But she's only 5-7....

Welcome to TCU!

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Scott @ Apr 30 2010, 08:35 PM) [snapback]553636[/snapback]
Whitney is a GREAT young lady & a friend to my family. The Frogs wanted her 2 years ago & she chose Iowa St over TCU. Must sit out next year....but watch out in the Fall of 2011.

April 30, 2010

FORT WORTH—The TCU women's basketball team has added guard Whitney Williams, a transfer from Iowa State, to its roster, head coach Jeff Mittie announced Friday. Williams will sit out next season as a redshirt before becoming eligible to play for the Frogs as a junior in 2011-12.

Williams, a 5-7 guard, averaged 20.1 minutes per game with totals of 5.9 points, 1.0 rebound and 1.6 assists per contest in 2009-10. She shot 40.1 percent overall from the field and ranked fourth in the Big 12 Conference in 3-point percentage with a rate of 40.0 percent. She also shot 87.0 percent from the free-throw line as a sophomore. Williams opened her career by appearing in each of ISU's 36 contests as a freshman in 2008-09, averaging 2.1 points and 1.0 assist per game.

While Williams has been a fixture on the court in her first two seasons, she also has excelled in the classroom. She earned a spot on the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll for Fall 2008.

Williams joined Iowa State after playing prep basketball for the THESA Riders of the Texas Home Educators Sports Association. A four-time All-American, she won the National Christian Homeschool Championship as a junior and senior and was tournament MVP both years. The squad was the national championship runner-up her freshman and sophomore campaigns.

Williams scored 3,630 points and hit 569 3-pointers while starting all four years of her prep career. She drilled 198 treys and turned in 1,201 points for a 23.5 points-per-game average as a junior, leading her team to a 40-11 overall mark, before scoring 19.1 points per game as a senior. Her efforts as a senior helped earn her the Pete Maravich Award, which is given to only one player each year at the NCHBC tournament

Never heard of the "home school" team she played for. Why didn't she go to a real high school?
Is her "high school" the equivalent of Oak Hill "Academy" in Virginia, which is also a "home school" team?

LVfrog

My son played against the THESA boys team this year in a tournament. These are all home schooled kids that come together to form a team.

BTW, they have a 6'5" soph who is pretty darn good. I'm going to keep an eye on him.

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(allinfrog @ May 1 2010, 10:18 AM) [snapback]553842[/snapback]
These are all home schooled kids that come together to form a team.

What he said. They can play against UIL and TAPPS competition, they just can't compete in their state tournaments. We had two girls from our program go to THESA. One is just a roleplayer, and I'm not sure the other one will even make it.

They have a point guard who is a stud. Will only be a junior next year. Moriah Jefferson.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Frog45 @ May 1 2010, 10:42 AM) [snapback]553855[/snapback]
What he said. They can play against UIL and TAPPS competition, they just can't compete in their state tournaments. We had two girls from our program go to THESA. One is just a roleplayer, and I'm not sure the other one will even make it.

They have a point guard who is a stud. Will only be a junior next year. Moriah Jefferson.

UIL won't play them - against the rules. TAPPS should put a stop to it.
"Select" is getting out of control - now these "coaches" are pulling kids out of school. What next?

Scott

"KillerFrogs.com....your source for TCU SPORTS"
2314....can we leave this thread at welcoming Whitney??? Thanks.

She has two sisters on that THESA team & since I gave her parents a heads up to see her "Welcome" on our board.......I'm sure they are impressed at your reception. :blink:

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
QUOTE(2314 @ May 1 2010, 10:46 AM) [snapback]553857[/snapback]
UIL won't play them - against the rules. TAPPS should put a stop to it.
"Select" is getting out of control - now these "coaches" are pulling kids out of school. What next?

They do too play UIL competition, and in the case of the two I mentioned, they certainly were not recruited.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Frog45 @ May 1 2010, 11:02 AM) [snapback]553861[/snapback]
They do too play UIL competition, and in the case of the two I mentioned, they certainly were not recruited.

Maybe in tournaments but NEVER on a regular (non district) schedule.

[SIZE=14pt]Welcome back HOME, Whitney!
You will love your new team.[/SIZE]

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Frog45 @ May 1 2010, 11:02 AM) [snapback]553861[/snapback]

Next time you post something know what you are talking about.

http://www.uil.utexas.edu/

Children in home school programs are not allowed to participate in UIL events, either individually or as a group

Frog45

Ticket Exchange Pass
I understand what the UIL site says. Several ADs have called to Austin.

As far as what you gain, it fills a nondistrict game. You also get that nondistrict game at home since they don't have a home gym.

2314@work

Contributor
QUOTE(Frog45 @ May 1 2010, 11:36 AM) [snapback]553882[/snapback]
I understand what the UIL site says. Several ADs have called to Austin.

As far as what you gain, it fills a nondistrict game. You also get that nondistrict game at home since they don't have a home gym.

See my post above your last post.
I really don't like these home school teams being allowed to play against UIL.
What if every kid did that?
Parents, you are getting out of control. Give your kids a proper social environment. You are turning these kids into pro athletes with your methods.
Having said that ...

[SIZE=36pt]... welcome back home, Whitney![/SIZE]