• The KillerFrogs

Grandys Closed

HG73

WTH. The one across the parking lot from my office. Was walking over to get my three wings with collard greens and I thought the lot looked a little sparse. Got up to the door and it was locked. Sign said "Closed Temporarily." ???

PurpleBlood87

WTH. The one across the parking lot from my office. Was walking over to get my three wings with collard greens and I thought the lot looked a little sparse. Got up to the door and it was locked. Sign said "Closed Temporarily." ???

What location there are few around?

Paint It Purple

My FIL (RIP), loved him some collard greens. He was a Santa Fe locomotive engineer, so he worked all hours. Late one night around 3:00 AM as he was coming in the door and into the kitchen, I watched him stop by the stove to dip a cold biscuit through the ham-hock grease and into the greens for his dinner/breakfast. Simple pleasures for a generation gone.

HG73

My FIL (RIP), loved him some collard greens. He was a Santa Fe locomotive engineer, so he worked all hours. Late one night around 3:00 AM as he was coming in the door and into the kitchen, I watched him stop by the stove to dip a cold biscuit through the ham-hock grease and into the greens for his dinner/breakfast. Simple pleasures for a generation gone.
My grandparents (I'm 68) would just throw a sheet over the table after breakfast and you could just cruise by, peek under the sheet and grab something.

QuilterFrawg

CDR USN (Ret)
Similar thing happened to me the other day. Went to lunch at Mamacita's in New Braunfels, and it was closed! Some lady standing in the middle of renovation work said the new restaurant will offer "healthier, Mexican food, not Tex-Mex." Ugh. Probably Cali-Mex - sprouts on tacos, that sort of thing. But that Mamacita's was sooo good, can't believe it closed! We went to IHOP instead.

Froggish

In would assume he dropped dead for a heart attack right after?

Pharm Frog

Similar thing happened to me the other day. Went to lunch at Mamacita's in New Braunfels, and it was closed! Some lady standing in the middle of renovation work said the new restaurant will offer "healthier, Mexican food, not Tex-Mex." Ugh. Probably Cali-Mex - sprouts on tacos, that sort of thing. But that Mamacita's was sooo good, can't believe it closed! We went to IHOP instead.

I ate at Huisache last week and NB Coopers BBQ this week. There's some strong to quite strong eatin' in NB. As for healthier Mexican food....screw that.

BrewingFrog

Was I supposed to type something here?
I make some killer collards. You're right, not that difficult, just take a bit of time. My dad said that mine are better than my grandmother's, and we're originally from GA.

Now I gotta bake a chicken and make collards for lunch. Darn this thread.

If I may humbly suggest...

https://www.heb.com/product-detail/h-e-b-premium-campfire-bacon/2068856

I generally cut up about 1/4 of the package and render it in a 6 qt. iron pot. I don't stem the collards unless they're really gnarly, and really only use a lot of fresh ground black pepper for seasoning, along with an onion and garlic cooked in the bacon fat before the collards go in. After that, it's a box of chicken stock, and several hours of simmering. Simple, easy, and delicious!

As for my rather public love for the fleshy leaves, we were dining at Killen's BBQ a few years ago on a Sunday. Sunday is Fried Chicken Day, and it is an utter delicacy. The line boss saw me, and exclaimed, "Mr. Wood! We got collards today!" Mmmm...