• The KillerFrogs

GP Salary now over $5 Million

LeagueCityFrog

Wow. That's a lot of money for Gary Patterson and I'm okay with it, market driven. That being said, looking at his cost as an investment compared to his results. He's making big boy money so looking only at his record performance since going the big boys.(We know it was also great before entering a power 5 conference.) Gary Patterson has an overall 25-20 record in the Big XII and 40-24 overall the last 5 seasons. For how hard it seems he prepares for games, I'm sure some of those give away losses in conference have to kill him, like Texas Tech in 2012, 2013, and 2016, Baylor in the 61-58 fourth quarter nightmare, and those two dumb bowl loses we gave the game away vs MSU and Georgia last season. Some years the Big XII conference has been real good, like 2012 when 9/10 teams went to bowl games, some years it has been 4th or 5th best conference of the 5 power five conferences as reflected by the fact that in 3 CFPs so far, i.e. 12 spots, Oklahoma is the only team to ever play in it. One would argue that the 2014 TCU team should have been there instead of Florida State, but the record shows the Big XII has only had 1 of the 12 coveted CFP spots.

All that being said I think Gary was the right man, at the right place, at the right time. The market is about as ripe as you can get for recruiting college football, TCU alums, though smaller in size than state schools, more than make it up when it comes to opening the wallets for big ticket sports donations, expensive tailgate parking, bowl travel support etc. Overall, Gary with a five year winning percentage of 62.5%, if sustained, would put TCU at the #20 of #129 division 1 football winning programs behind #19 Auburn. Not too bad, but I think we have shown that the school can do better when we look how those two teams in 2014 and 2015 were built. While Gary seems to now have Baylor and UT's football number and built his team accordingly to beat those type of speed teams. OU and Okie State would say other wise. In 10 attempts Gary is 2-8 against any team from the state of Oklahoma. I'm not saying we should beat OU every year by any means, but a 20% win percentage for the money he's making and the level of support he's getting isn't very good.

So my suggestion is to put that Peach Bowl game back on the TV and ask what was it about that team that seemed nearly unstoppable. As I sat in the stadium and watch that game this is what I saw. A risk taking, yet methodically calculating offense, where the quarterback and everyone was on the same page for most of the game before they snapped the ball, speed everywhere, size on the offensive line, wide receivers catching the ball, and hard runs by our tailbacks for extra yards. And a Great kicker.

On defense in 2014, Gary had some DAWGS! This past season, the team seemed to play hard and do what they were asked on defense, but just looked confused before the snap, small in physical size, and like a bunch of nice guys. I didn't see one Paul Dawson out there and someone reflecting the kind of attitude and tone that Davion Pierson brought when he was there. I think our scheme on both sides of the ball is fine and it appears hard to prepare for opposing coaches.

From what I've been hearing the new OL coach is awesome. The next coming of Davion Pierson maybe Ross Blacklock, and would Gary pull a Nick Saban from last season and start a freshman at quarterback if Shawn Robinson makes the offense go smoother? Maybe. And it's those decisions is why he makes over $5.1 million a year! I'm hoping 2017 is a throw back to the turnaround TCU had in 2014. Here is to a great summer and I'm looking forward to hopefully another awesome and exciting Fall in Fort Worth in 2017!

Go Frogs.

LCF

Here is the link that shows the current record of the Top 25 Programs currently. Pull out a couple of Group of five teams from the list and TCU would actually be ranked higher on the list.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA_Division_I_FBS_football_win-loss_records

TCU is a private university and has every right to do what it wants with its money. Now public universities funded by state tax paying citizens ... those universities have enough alumni to pay salaries, facilities, equipment, travel , etc. and athletic departments should not be funded by state $.

Armadillo

Double it.

For both of them.

(And I agree with Wes, it's out of control. But those 2 deserve it. And double Schloss and Dixon while you're at it).

DOUBLE IT!!!

Limey Frog

This is getting crazy. I love sports as much as the next guy but good grief and Saban's $11 million is insane

It is insane and grotesque. But at least it makes more sense than schools who pay useless wastes of space half that amount. Say, coaches named Charlie recently featured in South Bend and Austin, etc.

As for GP, I can't imagine that his positive impact on the institution has been worth less than $5 million a year over the decade-plus he's been here.

Last edited:

Dman890

It's well deserved but the conspiracy theorist in me thinks that this salary becoming public is no coincidence. Verified salaries from TCU are hard to come by - and making over $5 million results expectations to win. This will be a story if we struggle again this next year.

Bob Sugar

Double it.

For both of them.

(And I agree with Wes, it's out of control. But those 2 deserve it. And double Schloss and Dixon while you're at it).

DOUBLE IT!!!
JitteryUnluckyAmethystsunbird.gif