• The KillerFrogs

GP for AD

ECoastFrog

I know GP said he was leaving TCU now, but people can change their minds. I think we should go after him to be AD. He certainly knows the national athletic scene, and loves (though is probably temporarily pissed at) TCU. He could find the good coaches. He can work with the donors, with whom he already has so much respect. Fort Worth knows and loves him. TCU knows and loves him. Kelsey loves Ft. Worth.

While I know he loves coaching, which may mean my thoughts are just a bunch of bunk, I think this would be a way for him to 'slow down' a bit. He could probably also manage to do some sports commentaries with ESPN occasionally and take a few more frequent trips with Kelsey.

I think he would be perfect.

TCUdirtbag

We have already thoroughly dispatched with this incredibly stupid idea.

Thread:

Wexahu

I know GP said he was leaving TCU now, but people can change their minds. I think we should go after him to be AD. He certainly knows the national athletic scene, and loves (though is probably temporarily pissed at) TCU. He could find the good coaches. He can work with the donors, with whom he already has so much respect. Fort Worth knows and loves him. TCU knows and loves him. Kelsey loves Ft. Worth.

While I know he loves coaching, which may mean my thoughts are just a bunch of bunk, I think this would be a way for him to 'slow down' a bit. He could probably also manage to do some sports commentaries with ESPN occasionally and take a few more frequent trips with Kelsey.

I think he would be perfect.
He would absolutely hate working with donors and would hate being an AD. And he'd be terrible at it.

He's a football coach. He's one of the few people in this world who truly found his calling and that is being a football coach.

asleep003

He deserves the offer ... Just look at all the things he has given us over the past 20 years/or that would not have happened without him...

- New Stadium
- Rose Bowl Trophy for our trophy case...
- Big Xll 7-3 record over the whorns in league play.
- AP top #2 and #3 finishes...
- A Big 12 Championship Trophy in our trophy case.
- Numerous Fantastic Bowl victories(11-6).
- Plus 11 AP top 25 and 6 AP top 10 finishes...
- A Conference Championship Game.
- And Del Conte as AD to Austin TX... thanx to CGP

Is this not enough to at least offer AD to him, as 1/2 the above could have disappeared if he chose to take one of many big offers.

tcuball3

Ticket Exchange Pass
ADJD has done an incredible job in the past week, absolutely amazing leadership in a tough time. He crushed that press conference, expert choice of words and owned that room. We’ve got a young rising AD.

asleep003

AD's need to know how to act and be a salesman.

Patterson is too brutally honest to cut it as an AD.
He's been selling to recruits and others his whole life and could surely assume your salesmanship role. His coache's role occasionally required some frankness whether one may agree with some of it or not. Sure he could easily adapt, if allowed to assume that role.

asleep003

Patterson not adapting is what got him in this situation.
Adapting got him/us to so many highlights... such as

Big 12 Rose Bowl Trophy for our trophy case.
New Stadium for us...
Big 12 membership...
AP final top 5 #2 and #3 finishes ...
Beating the whorns 7-3 in Big 12 play... tho out manned annually.
Big 12 Championship Trophy in our trophy case.
Loads of great Bowl victories(11-6), not counting Cheez-its, lol!
A Big 12 Conference Championship Game.
11 AP top 25 final finishes, without one 5* recruit...
Only 6 top 10 finishes, with no 5* recruits....

1) Are much, if any of these things there, with out GP... the answer is absolutely not.
2) Plus much history of salesmanship/charm in recruiting ... sure, he is adaptable.
3) Point is, he deserves/earned the offer... and if not adaptable, he goes... period!

Last edited:

Eight

Adapting got him/us to so many highlights... such as

Big 12 Rose Bowl Trophy for our trophy case.
New Stadium for us...
Big 12 membership...
AP final top 5 #2 and #3 finishes ...
Beating the whorns 7-3 in Big 12 play... tho out manned annually.
Big 12 Championship Trophy in our trophy case.
Loads of great Bowl victories(11-6), not counting Cheez-its, lol!
A Big 12 Conference Championship Game.
11 AP top 25 final finishes, without one 5* recruit...
Only 6 top 10 finishes, with no 5* recruits....

1)Are much if any of these things there with out GP... the answer is absolutely not.
2)Plus much history of salesmanship/charm in recruiting ... sure, he is adaptable.
3)Point is, he deserves/earned the offer... and if not adaptable, he goes... period!

gary is not known to be a great recruiter and especially not a great closer as opposed to a guy like say, mack brown or eddie o and none of that has a thing to do with being a quality ad

start crossing things off your list that happened over 5 years ago.

have absolutely no idea what the last two "highlights" have anything to do with being a good prospect for athletic director

asleep003

gary is not known to be a great recruiter and especially not a great closer as opposed to a guy like say, mack brown or eddie o and none of that has a thing to do with being a quality ad
have absolutely no idea what the last two "highlights" have anything to do with being a good prospect for athletic director
Let's not get stupid here ... If GP had the UT job ... his recruiting levels would be extremely high... possibly better than Mac Daddy's !
You can't figure out finishing in the Top 25 11times/Top 10 6times/Top 5 twice... without a 5* recruit... is not an adaptable person.?.
God bless you !!!!

Last edited:

Sebastian S

Let's not get stupid here ... If GP had the UT job ... his recruiting levels would be extremely high... possibly better than Mac Daddy's !
You can't figure out finishing in the Top 25 11times/Top 10 6times/Top 5 twice... without a 5* recruit... is not an adaptable person.?.
God bless you !!!!

Not taking away from his years of success because anyone would be stupid to.

We are talking about recent record and its not even that recent, go back to 2018.

2016 - 2020, TCU has steadily been recruiting the 3rd best class in the Big 12 and averages 25th in the nation.

Give a 2 year buffer(2016) for recruits to develop, 2018 to today, his players have not performed on the field. He is regressing and not progressing. Given his recruiting, we should always be at least 3rd in the conference and always competing for the championship game. We have Baylor, who had to rebuild, and look at what they are doing.

So even if he did have the 5 stars of UT, recent history would dictate that he wouldn't have much success either.
I have never met GP in person but I could totally see him telling some rich stuffed shirt donors how full of it they are. People in the know please feel free to correct me.
He would be horrible as an AD. I have seen his press conferences, been to many of his luncheons and being an AD is just not his forte. He doesn't have the patience or personality.

Watch Donati and Del Conte, they were groomed to be an AD.