• The KillerFrogs

GP / DM -

Well, he is basically a running back.

Seriously, if he just focused on that I'd bet he'd be pretty damn good at it. The wheels and extra gear he showed on that one run......wow. He looks as fast as any guy on the field. And he's definitely tough enough to take some hits.

Not saying to base our offense around it like some, but we really ought to throw a couple of true veer plays in the mix 2-3 times a game. Max up under center, triple read.....Single bar facemasks....

Eight

Not saying to base our offense around it like some, but we really ought to throw a couple of true veer plays in the mix 2-3 times a game. Max up under center, triple read.....Single bar facemasks....

not sure max can make the required read and that is not a knock on him. a number of great quarterbacks just don't make that read proper and from what friends who coach have told me the option is not something you just throw in. you have to work on it regularly and there are other things i would like max to improve upon first

CountryFrog

not sure max can make the required read and that is not a knock on him. a number of great quarterbacks just don't make that read proper and from what friends who coach have told me the option is not something you just throw in. you have to work on it regularly and there are other things i would like max to improve upon first
Very true. There's a reason why triple option teams run almost nothing except the triple option and have only about a dozen pass plays. The QB has to spend so much time working the reads, mesh, and timing with the other backs that it's basically impossible to have time to actually practice the passing game or other aspects of your offense many days.

It looks simple on tv when you watch a team who can run it at a high level but the amount of time that goes into that is astounding. It's not something you can just spend 15 minutes working one day in practice and then expect to run it with any proficiency in a game.

TRF51

At this level, a qb should be able to complete 100% of throws from 0-20 yds and 95% of throws 20 yds and beyond. If there is double coverage on the deep balls, that number drops to 92%.
Name me one QB in the last 10 years who has had a completion % anywhere near this.

Very true. There's a reason why triple option teams run almost nothing except the triple option and have only about a dozen pass plays. The QB has to spend so much time working the reads, mesh, and timing with the other backs that it's basically impossible to have time to actually practice the passing game or other aspects of your offense many days.

It looks simple on tv when you watch a team who can run it at a high level but the amount of time that goes into that is astounding. It's not something you can just spend 15 minutes working one day in practice and then expect to run it with any proficiency in a game.
I never fail to be amazed at the number of people who suggest that we should install a different offensive scheme for a particular game during the middle of the season as though as though it were just some run of the mill undertaking.

tetonfrog

If we are going to beat OU, Max is going to have to play like he is the best QB in the Big 12. I don’t care if our RBs average 10 yards a carry, the refs are gonna call a bunch of BS penalties & we will be in third and long a lot.

Max is going to have to make some great throws & he is also gonna have to rip off some long runs, too.

TCU is gonna have to score 60 points to win. To do that, we must make big plays in the passing game. OU is gonna load the box with 8 guys & blitz our ass off. Max will have to make them pay. If he can’t burn them, then we are toast.

I never fail to be amazed at the number of people who suggest that we should install a different offensive scheme for a particular game during the middle of the season as though as though it were just some run of the mill undertaking.

People are acting like its rocket surgery. I'm not talking about changing our entire offensive scheme. I'm talking about 2-3 plays a game. Teams already incorporate the read option, this is just a different spin on it. I've seen some idiots run it back in the day. Pure dee idiots. I'm sure Max will abide. Now, about those single bar facemasks....

People are acting like its rocket surgery. I'm not talking about changing our entire offensive scheme. I'm talking about 2-3 plays a game. Teams already incorporate the read option, this is just a different spin on it. I've seen some idiots run it back in the day. Pure dee idiots. I'm sure Max will abide. Now, about those single bar facemasks....
The mesh and blocking are completely different for the zone read run out of the spread and the veer run from under center. It’s not making a small adjustment on the same concept but a different scheme entirely. It takes a lot of precision to make it work meaning it takes a lot of repetition, not just a hey guys let’s do this approach.