• The KillerFrogs

GP 19-22 in Big 12 without Meachum

PO Frog

The linebacker position has suffered because the DL had been poorly coached since Bumpas left. If the D tackles had zero tackles in a game, that would be a perfect game in GP's playbook. Look at the Oklahoma game from the 2014 season, Davion and Chucky held up the interior linemen freeing Dawson and Mallet to clean up. Now our DL struggles with gap integrity and has to have two position coaches for arguably the easiest positions in the defense.

LB was further hurt by recruiting perception of having a GA at the position instead of a named position coach.

LB Position Coaches:
2006?-2011, Tony Tademy
2012: Randy Shannon
2013-2015: Demontie Cross W/Jason Phillips as GA
2016-2017: Jason Phillps
2018 - Current: Chad Glasgow

We're seeing a lack of recruiting from those years when it was just Phillips in the position. Phillips had to take over the LB position because the DL needed two coaches for the simplist position after Bumpas retired. IMO he did a damn good job with Summers and what he had to work with.

Recruiting instability after Tademy left and poor DL play after Bumpas has made things difficult.

Off the top of my head:
Freeze - Quit (potential 5th year senior this year)
Vinny - never showed.
Tyree Horton - Quit.
Montreal Wilson - Medical Retirement (5th year senior this year)
Did we stunt as much in the old days of dominance? Seems like every play we’ve got lineman stunting and looping from gap to gap. Is that to cover up deficiencies or just a matter of being more creative? Seems like we stunt ourselves into missing assignments more often than I would like.

Eight

I agree but some of those teams beat up on some really good teams, I mean a Rose Bowl isn't getting crushed by OU but it's something

the problem is you are viewing this through the lens of a single game versus the week to week difference the frogs face in the big 12 versus the mwc.

people like to make jokes about it, but the mid and lower tier of the mwc doesn't come close in regards to the talent and physicality of an 85-man roster the frogs have faced since joining the big 12.

think of the number of games tcu at times slept walk through in the mwc they get hammered now for the same level of effort.

Eight

The linebacker position has suffered because the DL had been poorly coached since Bumpas left. If the D tackles had zero tackles in a game, that would be a perfect game in GP's playbook. Look at the Oklahoma game from the 2014 season, Davion and Chucky held up the interior linemen freeing Dawson and Mallet to clean up. Now our DL struggles with gap integrity and has to have two position coaches for arguably the easiest positions in the defense.

LB was further hurt by recruiting perception of having a GA at the position instead of a named position coach.

LB Position Coaches:
2006?-2011, Tony Tademy

We're seeing a lack of recruiting from those years when it was just Phillips in the position. Phillips had to take over the LB position because the DL needed two coaches for the simplist position after Bumpas retired. IMO he did a damn good job with Summers and what he had to work with.

Recruiting instability after Tademy left and poor DL play after Bumpas has made things difficult.

Off the top of my head:
Vinny - never showed.
Tyree Horton - Quit.

truth, mix in the misses at linebacker and then the attempts to convert players that just didn't take and we find the mess things are in today and the situation at defensive end has a similar path

Moose Stuff

Difference in a better "player" and a better "athlete". Is Wayne Daniels a better player than Mathis? Yep, by a mile. Better athlete? Nope, by a mile.

The better question is was RS-Frosh Wayne Daniels better than RS-Frosh Ochaun Mathis. Decent chance that answer is no.

M

mkel43

LB Position Coaches:
2006?-2011, Tony Tademy

Off the top of my head:
Vinny - never showed.
Tyree Horton - Quit.

NOTHING on the defense has really been the same since Bumpas left because GP needs a guy who knows as much about his D as he does. Bumpus could think, gameplan and coach this D on GPs level and I don't think they have had anybody since Bumpus to really contribute to the gameplan, at least with what the Front and the DL was doing. I also thought I remembered Bumpus signaling the defense with GP but the guy I saw doing it wasn't one of our DL coaches it was a smaller guy.
I agree about our philosophy of recruiting some of our guys. There are guys out there that played RB (Jerry Hughes) or QB (Ty Summers) that turned out to be great players but that shouldn't be the only guys you actively go after. If you come across a great athlete and know he'd be a lot better at another position then yea bring him in but just because TCU has had some success in the past with it doesn't mean it needs to be what we actively chase after. As far as the LB's go using a GA as a position coach probably wasn't a smart move to begin with especially if what you said is true and we did it to keep two DL coaches. Our DL has by far been the most disappointing part of the season for me. Plus I'm not sure but I highly doubt a guy like Phillips signed on to GA, coach LB's and recruit all year.

Eight

NOTHING on the defense has really been the same since Bumpas left because GP needs a guy who knows as much about his D as he does. Bumpus could think, gameplan and coach this D on GPs level and I don't think they have had anybody since Bumpus to really contribute to the gameplan, at least with what the Front and the DL was doing. I also thought I remembered Bumpus signaling the defense with GP but the guy I saw doing it wasn't one of our DL coaches it was a smaller guy.
I agree about our philosophy of recruiting some of our guys. There are guys out there that played RB (Jerry Hughes) or QB (Ty Summers) that turned out to be great players but that shouldn't be the only guys you actively go after. If you come across a great athlete and know he'd be a lot better at another position then yea bring him in but just because TCU has had some success in the past with it doesn't mean it needs to be what we actively chase after. As far as the LB's go using a GA as a position coach probably wasn't a smart move to begin with especially if what you said is true and we did it to keep two DL coaches. Our DL has by far been the most disappointing part of the season for me. Plus I'm not sure but I highly doubt a guy like Phillips signed on to GA, coach LB's and recruit all year.

one big key is that a ga can not go off campus to recruit.

imagine ohio state rolling into to the browning house hold with vrabel and multiple super bowl rings and the frogs linebacker coach can't come to the in home visit because he is a grad assistant

M

mkel43

one big key is that a ga can not go off campus to recruit.

imagine ohio state rolling into to the browning house hold with vrabel and multiple super bowl rings and the frogs linebacker coach can't come to the in home visit because he is a grad assistant

Whoa! I didn't even think about that. Now that I think about it how did we get Wallow or Harris to come here because why would you come if the LB coach is a GA and won't be there in a year or two?

Eight

Whoa! I didn't even think about that. Now that I think about it how did we get Wallow or Harris to come here because why would you come if the LB coach is a GA and won't be there in a year or two?

glasgow was the position coach for the frogs since 2018

Surfrog

The problem is the defensive room is too internal. Bumpas could gameplan because he and GP could go back and forth with each other. Bumpas has coached with GP since Kstate days. In fact, Bumpas was the DC at Navy while GP was the DB coach.

Now, look at the room:
Fitch - never been a coach before except TCU, was coached by GP. DT
Modkins - never been a coach before except TCU, was coached by GP. C
Glasgow - Fired by tech after leaving TCU. Came back after one year. LB
Sharp - been a coach for the last 30+ years except was on offense for the last 27. moved from TE to DE
Gonzalez - never been a coach before except TCU, was a college baseball player. S.

M

mkel43

The problem is the defensive room is too internal. Bumpas could gameplan because he and GP could go back and forth with each other. Bumpas has coached with GP since Kstate days. In fact, Bumpas was the DC at Navy while GP was the DB coach.

Now, look at the room:
Sharp - been a coach for the last 30+ years except was on offense for the last 27. moved from TE to DE
Gonzalez - never been a coach before except TCU, was a college baseball player. S.
So out of those guys who does what Bumpus used to do as far as signaling the defense because I thought that had a lot to do with our scheme?

Eight

i could have sworn that back in the day bumpas called signals for the front independent of gary's call to the secondary because they were so in sync, but i don't think gary does that anymore

Big Frog II

I don't think there is any doubt that we need some new blood. Look what LSU has done this year when they went out and hired a new OC. A world of difference.

4th. down

Now, look at the room:

That's depressing for me. Tooooo many yes men. But.......we can [ hundin] all we want but it ain't changing. Each year since Boykin/Doctson left, we've said next year we are going to have this and that so we can do this and be better. But.........it ain't happening and I hear others say the same now for next year - Foster, Barlow, Max, we are going to roll.

Did we stunt as much in the old days of dominance? Seems like every play we’ve got lineman stunting and looping from gap to gap. Is that to cover up deficiencies or just a matter of being more creative? Seems like we stunt ourselves into missing assignments more often than I would like.
I don't believe that we did. I understand trying to overcome some deficiencies at DE but our defense has started to look very "busy" and it it is obvious both to the eye and in the film breakdowns posted that players are frequently out of position relative to what GP apparently envisions when calling the play. I don't think the game has in any way passed by GP as some have suggested but perhaps he's gotten too smart at some things for his own good in that the players cannot put all the moving parts together at game speed. I think we've been pretty successful in the past with more of a bend but don't break strategy. There is to me no issue with giving up yards if you're making a college offense successfully execute 12+ play drives to get in the end zone. It's really about just scoring points yourself and keeping as many points as possible for the other team off the board; nothing much in between matters.

Froggish

I feel like the twisting and slanting has increased 10 fold since we joined the B12..We used it before but it’s just a ton now.

puckster59

The major change in TCU’s recruiting has been that they HAD to go out and find/convert the Jerry Hughes types because they rarely were in on the 4* guys. Those who have been around here a while would agree, I think. It was rare to see a player consider TCU along with Texas, A&M and LSU let alone choose the Frogs. With the success over the last 10 years and the move to the Big 12, recruiting has entered a whole new dimension.

4th. down

The major change in TCU’s recruiting has been that they HAD to go out and find/convert the Jerry Hughes types because they rarely were in on the 4* guys. Those who have been around here a while would agree, I think. It was rare to see a player consider TCU along with Texas, A&M and LSU let alone choose the Frogs. With the success over the last 10 years and the move to the Big 12, recruiting has entered a whole new dimension.

The NCAA police work, as we all know, is almost non existent. However, the FBI is at least prodding them now.

Recruiting at TCU is doing everything possible by the administration to enhance the athletics. So much money and effort have been put into athletic facilities in the past 20 years but we still struggle in staying 3rd. in conf. for football recruiting. Let's look at what's going on with the Big Dogs on recruiting and how our program compares with 4 & 5* recruits out of a 85 scholarship squad:

• Ohio State (60)

• LSU (51)

• Alabama (69)

• Penn State (50)

• Clemson (40)

• UGA (59)

• Oregon (32)

• Utah (8)

• Oklahoma (50)

• Florida (39)

• I don't know how accurate this is so it's FWIW - source, Pick 6 Previews.