• The KillerFrogs

GP 19-22 in Big 12 without Meachum

Eight

Maybe it does have something to do with signing better "athletes" instead of "players." I remember Coach P talking about how signing Ty Summers, a quarterback he converted to linebacker, was a throwback to what "we used to do at TCU." (Like Hughes from running back to defensive end, etc.)

Gimme me a squad of Ty Summerses and Jerry Hugheses.

rico evans was a quarterback and very good athlete who just never showed the instincts for the position.

if you go back and look through the frogs classes you will find just as many misses on the athletes projected to play another position than the home runs if not more so.

i do agree with many that the issue at linebacker is frogs are asking them to do such a variety of things i am not sure if there are many who can truly cover a slot receiver as well as take on a guard or offensive tackle

Froggish

Maybe it does have something to do with signing better "athletes" instead of "players." I remember Coach P talking about how signing Ty Summers, a quarterback he converted to linebacker, was a throwback to what "we used to do at TCU." (Like Hughes from running back to defensive end, etc.)

Gimme me a squad of Ty Summerses and Jerry Hugheses.

It’s possible that what we used to do at TCU doesn’t work any more...I’m not buying that we all the sudden just stopped trying to find Jerry Hughes and TY Summers types. Same coach, same scheme, and better athletes...I’m not the smartest guy but should that result in pretty much the “Same” results? Unless of course there are other factors at work...Like the game evolving around you..

Last edited:

Wexahu

rico evans was a quarterback and very good athlete who just never showed the instincts for the position.

if you go back and look through the frogs classes you will find just as many misses on the athletes projected to play another position than the home runs if not more so.

i do agree with many that the issue at linebacker is frogs are asking them to do such a variety of things i am not sure if there are many who can truly cover a slot receiver as well as take on a guard or offensive tackle

Well, Texas scored on a play where supposedly the RDE was to cover the RB on a wheel route. So add DEs covering guys potentially 15 yards downfield to that list.

PO Frog

Actually 247 themselves said TCU has one of the top 20 facilities in the country.. They ranked them this past off season
ACTUALLY ranked us in their august list as 21 since we are being pedantic . Point of the post was that we are never going to be better than 30 or so in recruiting, so we should get back to coaching well instead.

purpleshades

When GP does not allow a Good OC to run the offense, independently, Patterson teams will always hang around average to below average. When he turns the keys over to a Good OC and stays out of it, TCU can be exceptional.

With Meachum, and more importantly, GP removed from the offensive side, TCU is 19-8 in BIG 12. These are just the facts.

He could not control Meachum and basically fired him. He can control Cumbie and this is the product we have.

This is not Rocket Science.

Until GP stays out of the offensive play calling all together and lets an OC do his job we will always be mediocre. It's what the stats show.

GP is his own worst enemy on this issue. Just wish someone would tell him to give up the reigns on offense and get us back to what made us great again!
Amen - preach on....

Froggy Style

I think Boykin was the real difference maker. terrible play calling overcome by a QB that perfectly understood how to underthrow a fade route to a 6’3 dude with a 40 inch vertical.

When safeties have to drop deep and your QB runs like a WR with the vision of a great RB...you’re almost impossible to stop.

Meachum was like Greg Davis with Vince Young...just a blind squirrel getting lucky.

Cumbie is Blind and Deaf.

I think another thing that has gone missing is physicality. I remember one of the talking heads pointing out teams' poor record the week after playing TCU. I don't see anything like that anymore. It appears that we have become much more finessed in our approach.

M

mkel43

I think another thing that has gone missing is physicality. I remember one of the talking heads pointing out teams' poor record the week after playing TCU. I don't see anything like that anymore. It appears that we have become much more finessed in our approach.

That's a pretty true statement because I remember a stat from maybe 2008 about the number of opponent players that year and the years before it that used to miss the next game after playing TCU. No idea what it was because I think I remember a stat like that but not sure at all.

Surfrog

The linebacker position has suffered because the DL had been poorly coached since Bumpas left. If the D tackles had zero tackles in a game, that would be a perfect game in GP's playbook. Look at the Oklahoma game from the 2014 season, Davion and Chucky held up the interior linemen freeing Dawson and Mallet to clean up. Now our DL struggles with gap integrity and has to have two position coaches for arguably the easiest positions in the defense.

LB was further hurt by recruiting perception of having a GA at the position instead of a named position coach.

LB Position Coaches:
2006?-2011, Tony Tademy
2012: Randy Shannon
2013-2015: Demontie Cross W/Jason Phillips as GA
2016-2017: Jason Phillps
2018 - Current: Chad Glasgow

We're seeing a lack of recruiting from those years when it was just Phillips in the position. Phillips had to take over the LB position because the DL needed two coaches for the simplist position after Bumpas retired. IMO he did a damn good job with Summers and what he had to work with.

Recruiting instability after Tademy left and poor DL play after Bumpas has made things difficult.

Off the top of my head:
Freeze - Quit (potential 5th year senior this year)
Vinny - never showed.
Tyree Horton - Quit.
Montreal Wilson - Medical Retirement (5th year senior this year)

Last edited:

4th. down

Difference in a better "player" and a better "athlete". Is Wayne Daniels a better player than Mathis? Yep, by a mile. Better athlete? Nope, by a mile.

IMO, this is the major defensive problem coupled with a talent decline. The mindset of the LB group and Defensive Line does not have that Davion Pierson attitude along with Chucky Hunter.