• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Women's Tennis Sweeps Brown, 7-0

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/w-tennis/recaps/030318aaa.html

GoFrogs: Women's Tennis Sweeps Brown, 7-0

Final Stats

FORT WORTH, Texas – The No. 42 TCU women’s tennis team was dominant on Saturday as they picked up the 7-0 victory over Brown to mark the sixth sweep on its home courts at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center this season.

The Horned Frogs (8-5) jumped out to early leads on all three courts in doubles action as Marie Norris and Stevie Kennedy ran out to a 6-0 victory on court two. The Bears (5-6) attempted to make comebacks on the other two courts, but TCU was able to close out both matches to secure the doubles point.

In singles, the Frogs were able to snag the opening set on four of the courts with Norris and Meredith Roberts getting identical 6-1, 6-1 victories to put TCU up 3-0 in the match. Brown once again attempted a comeback, but Alexis Pereira was able to clinch the win for the Frogs with a 6-3, 7-6(4) win on court six. With the match already decided, the rest of the singles matches were played out with Kennedy getting the 6-0, 4-6, 6-3 win on court five first. No. 82 Aleksandra Zenovka followed with a 3-6, 6-3, 6-3 win on court one, before Donika Bashota wrapped up the match with a 4-6, 7-5, 12-10 win on court two.

Quotes from the Match
Head Coach Lee Taylor Walker
“We are starting to get some momentum this season. We had a tough schedule early and took some close losses, but I feel over the long haul it made us tougher. Today's match had some interesting momentum shifts. We got out to strong leads in doubles and only one of our teams was able to keep it going. Brown turned the matches around on courts one and three and came back. I thought we lost our edge and that really gave their team hope for not only the doubles but also the singles. Nonetheless, we were able to hang on and get all three doubles wins.

“In singles, it was similar in that we got up 3-0 in the match with Marie (Norris) and Meredith (Roberts) winning quickly, but then all of sudden we lost the momentum on all four remaining courts. There was a 10 to 15 minute stretch where we were in trouble although I don't think any of our player or their players were aware. In the end, all four of our girls remained resilient and finished them out for a 7-0 victory. We are building confidence and we are getting momentum. Monday night is another opportunity to keep it going. I specifically am looking for someone to challenge Maria Kononova from University of North Texas. She's beat us every time and she's one of the best players in the country. Whoever plays her at the top has to realize the privilege of playing a top ranked girl on our home courts and take advantage of this. I am really looking forward to that No. 1 singles match on Monday night.”

Match Results
Brown vs TCU
Mar 03, 2018 at Fort Worth, Texas
(Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center)
#42 TCU 7, Brown 0

Singles competition
1. #82 Aleksandra Zenovka (TCU) def. Maddie Stearns (BROWN) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
2. Donika Bashota (TCU) def. Alyza Benotto (BROWN) 4-6, 7-5, 12-10
3. Marie Norris (TCU) def. Taylor Cosme (BROWN) 6-1, 6-1
4. Meredith Roberts (TCU) def. Juliana Simon (BROWN) 6-1, 6-1
5. Stevie Kennedy (TCU) def. Courtney Kowalsky (BROWN) 6-0, 4-6, 6-3
6. Alexis Pereira (TCU) def. Katie Ta (BROWN) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)

Doubles competition
1. Donika Bashota/Elizabeth Tedford (TCU) def. Maddie Stearns/Courtney Kowalsky (BROWN) 6-4
2. Marie Norris/Stevie Kennedy (TCU) def. Juliana Simon/Taylor Cosme (BROWN) 6-0
3. Aleksa Cveticanin/Aleksandra Zenovka (TCU) def. Alyza Benotto/Semi Oloko (BROWN) 6-3

Match Notes:
Brown 5-6
TCU 8-5; National ranking #42
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (3,4,6,5,1,2)
T-3:06 A-164

Up Next
TCU will continue action at home by welcoming North Texas on Monday, March 5 at 5:30 p.m., to the Friedman Tennis Center.