• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Women's Tennis Caps Off Michigan Invite with Two More Wins

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2020/1/19/...s-off-michigan-invite-with-two-more-wins.aspx

GoFrogs: Women's Tennis Caps Off Michigan Invite with Two More Wins

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- TCU women's tennis finished the weekend with strong showings in the three singles matches that took place, resulting in two straight-set victories on the final day of the Michigan Invite in Ann Arbor, Mich. Marie Norris claimed her second win of the weekend before No. 81 Mercedes Aristegui notched her name in the win column for the Horned Frogs.

"I'm very proud of the team for embracing the challenges and overcoming a lot of things we couldn't control to make it a positive weekend," head coach Lee Walker said. "Mercedes learned a lot from her match on Friday and started implementing some things that she'll have to do to win at a high level today. Stevie played really well all weekend. She played three really high-level players and showed that she can battle with them all. Marie, being out for 14 months and then playing that much tennis, so well, was really cool. She's only going to get better. We've built belief, we've built confidence, and we're ready for next Sunday."

Norris went to work first, calmly dismantling her opponent in straight sets. Norris stayed the course in both sets before earning late breaks to secure her second victory of the weekend, 6-3, 6-4. Norris finishes the weekend with a 2-1 singles record in her first action since the spring of 2018.

"After losing a tough match in three sets yesterday, I was able to learn and adjust to be better prepared for today," Norris said. "I came out ready to improve and happy the result reflected that."

Playing in her second singles match of the weekend, Aristegui came out swinging. The forehand was working in the first set as she diced her opponent for a 6-1 win. The second set offered adversity as a late break from Lommer (Michigan) tied the score, 4-4. But Aristegui showed off tremendous poise, making the shots she needed in the clutch to break back and win the set and the match, 6-1, 6-4. It was her first victory of the new campaign.

"I felt really good today," Aristegui said. "I was brave and played more aggressive than before. I cannot wait for the rest of the season. We are building a lot of belief. I'm very excited for what's coming."

The final match of the day was a heated clash from Stevie Kennedy as she gave No. 26 Guilia Pairone of Michigan all she could handle across three sets of work. Kennedy came back from an early break in the first set to bring the score level, 3-3, before utilizing a break on her opponent's final serve of the set to win, 7-5. After dropping the second set, 6-2, Kennedy bared down in the third, forcing deuce on four of the six games but couldn't get the bounces she needed to pull off the win.

Singles Results
Marie Norris (TCU) d. Kathleen Jones (OSU): 6-3, 6-4
No. 26 Giulia Pairone (MICH) d. Stevie Kennedy (TCU): 5-7, 6-2, 6-0
No. 81 Mercedes Aristegui (TCU) d. Chiara Lommer (MICH): 6-1, 6-4

Up Next
TCU returns to Fort Worth for a week of practice before opening up the spring duel schedule on Sunday, January 26 at Illinois. The duel is scheduled to begin at noon.

For more information on TCU women's tennis, visit gofrogs.com and follow the team on social media: @TCUWomensTennis on twitter and Facebook, @tcuwomenstennis on Instagram.