• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Volleyball Storms Past Texas Tech

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2018/10/6/womens-volleyball-tcu-storms-past-texas-tech.aspx

TCU Storms Past Texas Tech

FORT WORTH, Texas – A pair of rookies with stellar offensive performances along with a stout defensive effort led the TCU volleyball team to a 3-1 (25-22, 22-25, 25-22, 25-19) victory over Texas Tech on Saturday afternoon at The Rickel inside the University Recreation Center to wrap-up week three of conference action.

After the Horned Frogs (11-5, 3-2 Big 12) and the Red Raiders (15-4, 4-1 Big 12) split the first two sets, TCU turned up the offense and hit over .300 in the final two sets to hand Texas Tech its first conference loss this season. The largest crowd of the season was on hand for today's match-up as the Frogs put down 62 kills on a .295 hitting clip while also picking up 57 digs.

The TCU freshmen duo of élan McCall and Katie Clark paced the offense with 20+ kills a piece with McCall finishing with 21 and Clark knocking down 20. Anna Walsh was the most efficient hitter for the Frogs with 11 kills and a .409 hitting clip to go along with a team-best three blocks. McCall led the defensive effort with 17 digs for her 10th double-double of the season while Berklie Baker picked up 15 digs. Tori Dilfer guided the offense to its best hitting percentage in conference play with 53 assists to go along with eight digs.

Stats of the Match
7 – TCU had two players scored 20+ kills in a match for only the seventh time in program history on Saturday and the first time since October 16, 2004 when Dominika Szabo and Ellen Rehme accomplished the feat against Cincinnati. This is also the first time two players have done it in a match under the direction of Jill Kramer and the first time that both players were freshmen.

Quotes from the Match
Head Coach Jill Kramer
Opening Statement
"The one thing that I talked to the team about after this match is that I felt like we worked really hard the entire match and had a great effort. That is always a good thing, but I have a lot of respect for the Texas Tech and how hard they work. I have watched them all these years in the Big 12 and that is one thing that is going to be evident is that they are going to work really hard and play really good defense. One of our goals was to out-work them and I think our effort was great. We had to talk about it a little bit in the first set, but that was all. Just had to talk about it one time and then we came back from it.

"I still think in the first set that we did not come out as sharp as we would like and had a lot of miscues at the beginning. The cool thing was that we did settle down and within that set start to play better volleyball. We need to get a little bit better at that still, but it was much improved upon. Last year playing this team, we had a hard time finishing. We didn't see that this year. We finished when we had opportunities and I was excited to see that."

Notes
-TCU moves to 11-5 on the season and 3-2 in Big 12 play with the win on Saturday
-The Frogs break the all-time series record tie and now hold a 10-9 advantage over Texas Tech with the win
-TCU moves to 10-1 at home this season to mark the ninth time in program history the team has scored double-digit wins inside The Rickel
-élan McCall scored her 10th double-double of the season and sixth straight with 21 kills and 17 digs
-The 21 kills by McCall marked the 16th straight match she has recorded double-digit kills which broke the streak set by Anna Vaughn in 2006 of consecutive double-digit kill matches to start a season
-McCall also record 20+ kills for the seventh time this season
-Katie Clark recorded double-digit kills for the second time in 2018 with a career-high 20
-Clark also had a .359 hitting clip to mark the sixth time recording a .300 hitting percentage or better in a match
-Anna Walsh put down 11 kills in the match to mark the 13th time in 2018 recording double-digit kills and the sixth straight match
-Walsh finished with a team-best .409 hitting clip to mark the eighth time in 2018 with a .300 or betting hitting percentage and the 56th time in her career
-Tori Dilfer dished out 53 assists to mark the sixth time in her career with 50+ assists in a match
-Berklie Baker recorded her ninth double-digit dig match this season with 15
-The 2,096 fans in attendance were the most in 2018 and the seventh most in program history
-This marked the second straight home match with over 2,000+ fans in attendance
-TCU sold-out the match for the seventh time this season

Up Next
TCU will spend the next week on the road with the team first traveling to Waco, Texas, to take on Baylor on Wednesday, Oct. 10 at 6 p.m., before traveling to Ames, Iowa, to face Iowa State on Saturday, Oct. 13 at Noon.