• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Volleyball Rallies for 3-2 Win over Auburn

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/9/15/womens-volleyball-tcu-rallies-for-3-2-win-over-auburn.aspx

GoFrogs: Volleyball Rallies for 3-2 Win over Auburn

FORT WORTH -- TCU volleyball (5-3) dug in and battled its way back from down, 1-2, to win the final two sets and take down Auburn (4-4) to win the Add-Ran Cup title Sunday afternoon at The Rickel inside the University Rec Center. Three Frogs finished with double-digit kills and the team was perfect from the service line in the final two sets to claim its second win of the weekend.

The effort brings TCU's eight-game home stand to a close. The Horned Frogs finished with two tournament titles and a 5-3 record.

TCU NOTABLES:
  • For the first time this season, three different Horned Frogs delivered 10+ kills in the same match: Audrey Nalls (17), Julia Adams (12) and Katie Clark (11).
  • TCU set a season-best with just nine service errors in five sets today, including a flawless final two sets – three aces, zero errors across 39 serves.
  • This was the eighth consecutive sellout to begin the season, further advancing the program record set last Sunday.
  • This is the first five-set win of the season in the team's second attempt.
  • Senior middle blocker Sarah Langs delivered a career-high seven blocks. She finishes the weekend with 13 blocks (1.62 per set).
  • This is the second time this season a TCU middle has finished with seven blocks (Afedo Manyang – 7 vs. FAU).
  • For the sixth time this season, Nalls led the team in kills with her 17. She has finished with 15 or more kills in four of her last six contests.
  • Clark finished the weekend with 19 kills on .318 hitting, also contributing four blocks on the right side.
  • The defense held its own down the stretch, forcing Auburn to hit .102 in the final two sets.
  • Junior libero Berklie Baker was phenomenal on the back line. She finished with a team-best 12 digs, six assists and was a perfect 20-20 receiving serves.
  • Baker was flawless all weekend in the receiving game, controlling all 39 serves sent her way.
  • Irem Uçar and Mckenzie Nichols both performed well. Uçar led the team with 21 assists, while Nichols added 18 of her own as they spread the ball around nicely.
  • Berklie Baker and Katie Clark earned All-tournament honors for their efforts this weekend.
  • Audrey Nalls claimed her second tournament MVP title of the season, finishing the weekend with 25 kills (3.12 kills/set), 10 digs, six blocks and two aces.

HOW IT HAPPENED:
Set 1 (TCU, 25-21): The tone was set in the early going as both teams exchanged blows with neither managing to pull away. It wasn't until the score was tied, 17-17 that the Frogs were able to go on a run. Clark connected for three straight kills and TCU went on a 7-1 run to force set-point. Waggle delivered the final blow for the Frogs to give TCU the early advantage. Nalls led the team with five kills on .625 hitting.

Set 2 (AU, 19-25): Auburn jumped out to a 6-0 lead early and never allowed the Frogs back in. Nalls and Waggle each finished with three kills but trouble on the service line doomed the Frogs comeback hopes.

Set 3 (AU, 19-25): Both teams traded scoring runs in the early going. First, TCU went on a 3-0 run to open the set off three straight Langs blocks but Auburn responded with a 5-1 run to claim a 6-4 lead. From there, both sides traded points until the score was showing an 18-19 Auburn lead. From there, the Tigers won six of the next seven points to win the set.

Set 4 (TCU, 25-16): With their backs against the wall, the Frogs responded, taking advantage of Auburn mishits to grab a 10-4 lead. This time it was TCU that wouldn't allow Auburn anywhere near the lead again and the Frogs were able to tie the match. Adams led the team with three kills as the TCU defense held Auburn to 0.51 hitting on 39 attacks.

Set 5 (TCU, 16-14): Auburn used a 5-0 run to go ahead, 10-6 and force a TCU timeout. The Frogs responded off the timeout with a kill from Adams, ace from Ashley Wehrstein and an Auburn error to work themselves back into the set with a 3-0 scoring run. Another kill from Adams and massive block from Langs tied the score back up at 11-11. The teams exchanged blows until the score was deadlocked at 14-14. A service error from Auburn gave TCU its second match point which Nalls deposited over the net for her 17th kill of the match, giving TCU its first five-set victory of 2019. Nalls was clutch in the final set, finishing with four kills and two digs to lead the team to victory.

UP NEXT:
The Frogs hit the road for the first time this season, when they head east on I-30 to play SMU. The match is slated to start at 7 p.m.

For more information on TCU Volleyball visit GoFrogs.com and follow @TCUVolleyball on Instagram, Twitter and Facebook.

Pharm Frog

I'm intrigued by the "sellout" thing. Seems to me if you are playing in a rec center and truly selling out, you might want to investigate moving to a larger venue. The two times I tried to attend and it was a sellout and was turned away, it seemed to me as if there were a very large percentage of young lady volleyball players (junior high-ish age) that had tickets and were getting in. Got nothing against that and I think its great...but if you are having to turn away fans, I just wonder about it.