• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: TCU Picks Up Third Sweep

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/w-volley/recaps/082915aaa.html

TCU Picks Up Third Sweep
The Horned Frogs score a 3-0 victory over UTEP to finish out their first weekend.

Final Stats |  Photo Gallery 
media-icon-photogallery.gif

FORT WORTH, Texas - A hard fought defensive effort by the TCU volleyball team led to a 3-0 (25-17, 25-22, 25-22) victory over UTEP on Saturday night, to cap off an undefeated opening weekend inside the University Recreation Center.

The Horned Frogs (3-0) finished off the Crosstown Classic in winning fashion over the Miners (1-2), with Regan McGuire being named Co-MVP of the tournament, while Ashley Smith and Jillian Bergeson also earned spots on the All-Tournament Team.

For the second match in a row, TCU's defense was on point, as the team finished with a total of 11 blocks, while also recording 62 digs. Bergeson (11 kills, 15 digs), Smith (10 kills, 12 digs) and Alexia Heist (26 assists, 10 digs) all finished with double-doubles, while McGuire was just short with 13 kills and nine total blocks.

Stat of the Match
3 - The number of double-doubles for TCU in the match.

Quotes of the Match
TCU Director of Volleyball Jill Kramer
Opening Statement
"I thought it was a great start to the season. The team has put in a lot of preparation. They have committed to making a lot of changes and that was really evident in our play all weekend long. I think today, we let fatigue set in a little bit and UTEP really fought the whole time. They kept trying to climb back in it and in the second set, they were up a bit and we had to get comfortable going back-and-forth and siding out. We hadn't done that yet over the weekend. The best thing was to see our team step-up in that situation, trust each other and make plays and as a coach, that is what you want to see."

On how the defense performed against UTEP
"We actually talked about this in our locker room. Our defensive system is way different for these guys then what they were doing before, blocking especially. It requires them to focus on certain things and everyone has got to do their part and I thought we did a really good job of executing that blocking wise which made it a lot easier defensively. Literally, two days ago we had Sutton (Sunstrum) start playing middle back and she has done a great job with that."

Notes
-For the fifth time in program history and first time since 2011, TCU started the season 3-0
-The 11 total team blocks marks the first time the team has notched 10+ blocks this season
-Bergeson earned her first All-Tournament honors as a Horned Frogs, while Smith was named to an All-Tournament team for the sixth time and McGuire for the second time in their careers at TCU
-Bergeson scored a double-double for the second straight match
-Smith and Heist picked up their first double-doubles of the season
-The double-double for Heist marked the 20th of her career, while Smith notched her 14th career double-double
-With 17 digs, Sutton Sunstrum recorded double-digit kills for the second straight match

Up Next
TCU will hit the road for the first time in the 2015 season by heading to San Diego, Calif., to compete in the SDSU/USD Invitational on Sept. 4-5. The Frogs will open with Dartmouth on Friday, before taking on hosts San Diego State and San Diego on Saturday.

yurintroubl

Not familiar enough to know where TCU's SOS stacks up going into conference play... but I get the distinct feeling this program is going to become very formidable very quickly. 

I am getting downright spoiled seeing TCU show up on Top 25 lists for both men's and women's sports across the board.