• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: TCU Falls in 3OT to Texas Tech, 56-53

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://gofrogs.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/102012aab.html

TCU Falls in 3OT to Texas Tech, 56-53

Jaden Oberkrom set a school record with six field goals.

Box Score | Quotes | Notes | Highlights
Photo Gallery 1
media-icon-photogallery.gif
| Photo Gallery 2
media-icon-photogallery.gif

News Conference Video

FORT WORTH, Texas (AP) -- Seth Doege threw seven touchdowns, three in overtime, and No. 18 Texas Tech won 56-53 at TCU after blowing a late 10-point lead Saturday.

The game-winning pass was an 8-yard throw to Alex Torres, which came four plays after Jaden Oberkrom's school-record sixth field goal had put TCU ahead. Both teams scored touchdowns in the first two overtime periods.

TCU (5-2, 2-2), the Big 12 newcomer, has lost consecutive home games for the first time since 1999. After losing the final two home games in 1998, they lost the 1999 season opener at home.

Doege completed 30 of 42 passes for 318 yards and Texas Tech (6-1, 3-1) is already bowl eligible a year after its first losing season since 1992.

TCU redshirt freshman Trevone Boykin was 26-of-44 for 332 yards with four TDs and two interceptions.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

POSTGAME QUOTES

TCU head coach Gary Patterson
Opening Statement:
“It was a heck of a ball game. You have to give Tech credit for finding a way to win. We have to find a way to make plays, simple as that. We can’t give up points, we can’t give up missed tackles like we did near the end. We are going to lose when we do that. I told my kids in the locker room, there is no one to blame. I have to do a better job calling, coaches have to do a better job and we have to find a way to make plays. Welcome to the Big 12. I do believe this, I believe we proved we can play in it. Are we unhappy we lost? Yes, but it was a heck of a ball game.”

On the defense:
“They only had 300-some yards. We did what we needed to do, but we gave up a couple of big plays. We said it was going to be a jump ball. You have to be able to go make plays. Before a touchdown, we dropped an interception. If you make that play, they don’t score a touchdown. We have to make plays.”

On the offense:
“We are down 10 points and they already thought they sealed the deal. They were jumping around, and we came back and tied the game. You have to give our team a lot of credit to fight back, tie the game and force it to overtime. We can’t settle for field goals. That is what we did on the last one. It was not a good first down call and then we were in second-and-long, third-and-long. We had drives where we had to kick field goals, and we have to fight and get touchdowns.”

On whether he felt the team played well:
“We played well. It was not like last year when we played terrible against Baylor. We played a Tech team that was 5-1 and we lost by three points in overtime. They made one more play than we did. I wish I would have had a better call a couple of times. You can’t do any more on special teams except to cover the onside kick.”

TCU wide receiver Josh Boyce
On Boykin's clutch performance:
"As a quarterback, he's a leader, so you can never give up. When you see the quarterback fighting, everyone else comes along.”

On Skye Dawson’s outing:
“Skye had a big night. We knew they were going to press the slots all day, and Skye is one of the fastest guys in college football. People have trouble covering him and he had a good game.”

On how the offense fared:
“As an offense we just didn't get enough first downs. The play calling was there, but we needed to get a few first downs to help the defense out.”

On the whole complexion of the game:
"The offense didn't get first downs to help the defense. They have a good offense and can throw the ball anywhere. We didn't get first downs, and Jaden had a great game, but you have to do better on offense."

Texas Tech head coach Tommy Tuberville
Opening Statement:
"First of all, I’d like to say congratulations to both teams. Overtimes are hard on all sides: players, coaches and fans. Coach Patterson and his team played a heck of a game. They outplayed us for most of the game, outcoached us and had us on our heels. We found ways to make some plays there in the second quarter and then at the end of the game. What a bizarre football game. Their quarterback played outstanding. We made a lot of mistakes, but we’ve been working really hard for a game like this; you win a game when you don’t play you’re best. To find a way to win on the road in overtime is very hard."

On the second overtime:
"We played it down on our end. We probably shouldn’t have done that, but I wanted our fans to see it down on that end. We knew we had that trick play for the first play."

On the game in general:
"They ran the ball on us, which was a little disappointing for us defensively. They were pretty balanced. We weren’t balanced at all. We just made big plays. You’ve got to find a way to win when you don’t play pretty. Going through that game last week took a big toll on us. We lost four starters last week and came back and found a way to win. Now we’re 6-1."

On Seth Doege’s performance:
"Seth played well. As you can tell, they were after him. I think they got two roughing the passer penalties. They were bound and determined to get to him. I thought there were times that our offensive line got moved around a little bit, but when it counted, we gave him enough time to throw it. This was a team win because we didn’t play that great and we found a way to win."

Texas Tech senior receiver Austin Zouzalik
On loss of 10 point lead in the fourth quarter:
“I mean it was kind of devastating. That’s the kind of stuff we’ve been working on all the time. You know sometimes, Coach Tuberville, we’ll get done with practice and he’ll just roll out some drills, and we’ll start pushing boards and pushing sleds and stuff like that. So I don’t think there’s any doubt with the team, you know that just took a little air out of us, but we just pick right back up and keep going.”
On halftime:
“Halftime was interesting. I came in here and just lied on the table with an IV the entire time. I guess it was just the heat and I wasn’t used to playing so many plays. It hasn’t been this hot in Lubbock, and coming up here with a little bit of humidity, I was down at halftime.”
On the entertainment of the game:
“Oh it was entertaining, you know, their fans are right behind us, so we got to hear from their student section the entire time. It was a pretty good atmosphere though, you know, we enjoyed it. I think some of the guys enjoyed it a little too much whenever we got up by 10.”

Texas Tech senior quarterback Seth Doege
On the play call on the winning touchdown in overtime:
“I was hoping for that play call. We practiced it over and over and over. Alex Torres does a really good job selling it. He covered it a little bit, but the way Torres sold the run. He bent just enough to where I could fit it in there, and Torres made a great catch. It’s all good from there. We’ve been practicing that play for three weeks, and we never had an opportunity to use it. Finally, perfect opportunity to use it, and we executed it. It was just sweet to actually run it during the game.”
On the emotion of his team throughout overtime:
“On the sideline you could tell that nobody had any thought of losing this game. That’s all credit to our coaches at Tech. We were in it the whole time. No matter what hole we were in, we were always digging our way out of it. It’s huge for us, because all we’ve been preaching is taking it to the next level. In the past we’ve played really big games, and won really big games, but we’ve never consistently played a high level and consistently beat big time teams. This was a great opportunity for us, and we expected to come in here and win. We battled through a lot of adversity today.”

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

POSTGAME NOTES

TEAM NOTES
*TCU fell to 5-2 on the year and 2-2 in Big 12 play.

*Today’s attendance of 47,894 marked the second-largest crowd in TCU history, surpassed only by the 50,307 for Utah on Nov. 14, 2009.

*The Horned Frogs slipped to 5-7 all-time in overtime games, including a 4-6 mark with Gary Patterson as head coach.
*TCU played the first triple-overtime game in its history.

*TCU has dropped consecutive contests at Amon G. Carter Stadium for the first time under Patterson as head coach and overall since the final two home games in 1998 and the season opener in 1999.

*The combined 109 points were the second-most in school history, surpassed only by 117 in a 62-55 TCU win at Houston on Oct. 25, 2003. The combined points were an Amon G. Carter Stadium record.

*TCU played an overtime contest for the first time since Oct. 1, 2011 against SMU. It was the first overtime game against a conference opponent since a 51-50 win at BYU on Sept. 24, 2005 in TCU’s first year as a member of the Mountain West Conference.

*With a 19-yard scoring pass from Trevone Boykin to Skye Dawson, TCU had a touchdown on its opening drive of the game for the third time in seven contests this season.

*Defensive end Josh Carraway became the 16th true freshman to play for TCU this season. The Horned Frogs lead the nation in that category. LSU, Ohio State and Texas are tied for second with 15 true freshmen playing.

*With 53 points, TCU extended its nation-best streak of consecutive games scoring at least 20 points to 33 games.

*TCU had three sacks in the game for a loss of 21 yards. It marked the eighth time in the last 14 games that TCU recorded three sacks. The Horned Frogs came into the game leading the Big 12 with 2.7 sacks per game.

*TCU wore an all-black uniform with a purple chrome helmet.

INDIVIDUAL NOTES
*Jaden Oberkrom was 6-of-6 on field goals with makes of 32, 41, 32, 45, 42 and 38 yards. He is now 14-of-16 on the season and has made 14 of his last 15 attempts.

*Oberkrom’s six field goals set a TCU and Big 12 single-game record, bettering Nick Browne’s five against Cincinnati in 2002 and 2003.

*Oberkrom scored 23 points (6 field goals, 5 PAT), setting a TCU record for points scored by kicking in a game. The previous best was Browne’s 19 against Cincinnati in 2003. The 23 points are the eighth-most for any player under Patterson.

*With 10 receptions for 154 yards, Skye Dawson had his second career 100-yard receiving game and set a personal best for catches and yards receiving. His previous highs were eight catches for 111 yards versus Portland State last season.

*Trevone Boykin competed 26-of-44 passes for a career-high 332 yards and four touchdowns. It was the seventh-most yards passing for a quarterback in the Patterson head coaching era.

*Boykin’s 44 attempts were the most in a game since Andy Dalton also had 44 against Boise State on Jan. 4, 2010 in the Fiesta Bowl. It tied for the sixth-most in a game under Patterson.

*Boykin had four touchdown passes for the second straight week. The four scoring tosses tied for the third-most by a TCU quarterback in the Patterson era, trailing only Casey Pachall’s five against Boise State on Nov. 12, 2011 and Jeff Ballard’s five versus San Diego State on Nov. 18, 2006.

*Josh Boyce extended his streak to 27 consecutive games with at least one reception. He had seven receptions for 52 yards.

*Matthew Tucker’s 4-yard second-quarter scoring run was the 29th rushing touchdown of his career, tying him with Joseph Turner (2006-09) for fourth on TCU’s all-time list.

*Aundre Dean had a career-long 37-yard carry in the first quarter. His previous long was 35 versus UNLV last season.

*LaDarius Brown’s 60-yard fourth-quarter touchdown grab was his fourth in the last five games.

*Jason Verrett totaled a career-high 11 tackles, including two for loss, with three pass breakups.

*Joel Hasley had a career-high and team-best three tackles for loss.

*Wide receiver David Bush and defensive end Jon Koontz made their first career starts, becoming the 15th and 16th different Horned Frogs to make their first collegiate starts this season.