• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Stanford Named Assistant Captain of USA Solheim Cup Team

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2020/6/5/w...ssistant-captain-of-usa-solheim-cup-team.aspx

GoFrogs: Stanford Named Assistant Captain of USA Solheim Cup Team

FORT WORTH -- Former TCU women's golf standout Angela Stanford has been named assistant captain for the 2021 USA Solheim Cup Team.

Stanford is TCU's only four-time All-American. She won a school record 10 tournaments as a Horned Frog. Her four titles as a senior, including the 2000 Western Athletic Conference Championship, set a TCU season mark. She was also the 1999 WAC Player of the Year.

In 2010, her first year of eligibility, Stanford was inducted into the TCU Lettermen's Association Hall of Fame. She was selected in 2017 to the Women's Golf Coaches Association Players Hall of Fame.

Stanford has totaled six LPGA victories, including the 2018 Evian Championship for her first major title. She has competed in six Solheim Cups, representing the USA in 2003, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2013 and 2015. In 2015, Stanford earned the winning point for Team USA with her 2-and-1 victory over Suzann Pettersen.

"My six Solheim Cup teams are among the highlights of my career, and I'm excited to take this next step as an assistant captain," Stanford said. "I'm really looking forward to being back in the Team room, where we're all after the same goal and we all have the same passion to win the Cup."

Stanford was selected an assistant captain by Solheim Cup captain Pat Hurst.

"Angela and I are pretty similar in a lot of ways," Hurst said. "We both have passion for the game. We love the red, white and blue, playing for our country. Angela, even playing for TCU, she's just the biggest supporter of them, and she's that way with representing the United States."

Stanford was recruited to TCU by Angie Ravaioli-Larkin, who is in her 27th season as head coach of the Horned Frogs and is this year's WGCA President.

"Wow," Ravaioli-Larkin said. "I am so proud of Angela. I can remember her as a freshman, like it was just yesterday. To watch her grow into one of the emerging great leaders in our game is exciting and an honor."