• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Soccer’s Unbeaten Streak Halted at OU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
http://www.gofrogs.com/sports/w-soccer/recaps/092316aaa.html

GoFrogs: Soccer’s Unbeaten Streak Halted at OU

Final Stats

FORT WORTH – A penalty kick in the match’s 15th minute was the only goal of the game as Oklahoma handed TCU a 1-0 loss in the Big 12 Conference opener for both teams.

The Rundown
It was a tale of two halves as the Sooners controlled the pace of play, outshooting the Horned Frogs 8-3 in the first half. The early push from the Sooners culminated in a penalty kick in the 15th minute.

Madeline Brem was called upon to take the PK and snuck the ball just past a diving Courtney Hofer to give Oklahoma the 1-0 lead.

Just two minutes later, TCU had a look at the equalizer. Karitas Tomasdottir was spot on with her turnaround shot from the top of the 18, but it clanged off the crossbar and out of danger.

TCU came out with a vengeance in the second half as it was trying hard to tie the game at one. The Frogs controlled the possession, but the Sooners did just enough defensively to prevent shots on goal.

The Frogs’ best look at tying the game came in the first 10 minutes of the half. Kayla Hill pushed the attack and played distributor to Michelle Prokof and Allison Ganter. Prokof’s bid was high, while Ganter’s shot just deflected off the fingertips of the Sooner keeper and out of danger.

Stat of the Game
2 –
TCU was held to just two shots on goal, both coming in the second half.

Quotes of the Game
Head Coach Eric Bell

On the match:
“In the first half we came out slow. It was not the way we wanted to start. We were a lot better in the second half. We controlled the ball better and were able to create more scoring opportunities. Hopefully we learn from the two halves of soccer we played tonight.”

On the fight back in the second half:
“We didn’t make many changes and halftime. We told them we thought there were a lot of missed opportunities in the first half. Once they realized they had more time and space than they thought, we made better decisions.”

The defensive game:
“I thought we were able to really nullify a lot of things. We didn’t give up a lot of chances. My feeling is that they had more of the play in the first half, but then we took over the play in the second half.”

On Sunday’s game:
“I know our kids will be up for it and I’m sure SMU’s will be too. I expect it’ll be a good game. Hopefully our team will be hungry to get rid of the feeling we have now and we can get back on the positive side of the score.”

Notes
• TCU was shutout for the first time this season.
• Oklahoma was the last team to shutout TCU, doing so on Oct. 25, 2015.
• The penalty kick allowed was the first since Sept. 21, 2014 when North Texas failed to convert.
• The PK conversion was the first by an opponent since Washington State capitalized on Aug. 22, 2014.
Michelle Prokof returned to the lineup after missing three games. She led the team with two shots.
Kayla Hill, Cachet Lue, Lauren Sajewich and Ryan Williams played all 90 minutes.

Up Next
TCU (7-1-1) closes out its non-conference schedule on Sunday night when it hosts SMU. Game time is set for 7 p.m. at Garvey-Rosenthal.