• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Mokaleng, Longmire Win at Charlie Thomas Invite

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/2/2/m...ng-longmire-win-at-charlie-thomas-invite.aspx

GoFrogs: Mokaleng, Longmire Win at Charlie Thomas Invite

COLLEGE STATION, Texas – TCU track and field competed at the Charlie Thomas Invitational on Saturday where the Horned Frogs faced off against a handful of top 10 ranked teams. Highlighted by event wins by Derrick Mokaleng and Destiny Longmire, TCU had several strong performances throughout the meet.

EVENT WINS
TCU had a pair of event winners on the day. After making her TCU debut in the long jump last weekend, Longmire improved her season mark with a first-place jump of 6.17m (20-3). Longmire was the only jumper to clear 20 feet in the meet.

Mokaleng followed up his top 10 national mark in the 400m from last weekend with a victory on Saturday, running 46.86 for the win.

RELAYS
Pulling double duty, Mokaleng also competed on the men's 4x400m relay. Running with Darrion Flowers, Tinotenda Matiyenga, and Glenn Bender, TCU finished third. Saturday was Flowers' first meet since last year's NCAA Outdoor Championship meet.

The women's 4x400 relay, consisting of Asiah Fields, Kiana Banks, Lily Beckford, and Kennedy Crawford, finished fifth with a mark of 3:41.85.

INDIVIDUAL HIGHLIGHTS
Individually, Beckford improved her season-mark in the women's 400m to 53.44, narrowly finishing second. The Brunel University-transfer ranked No.17 in the NCAA entering the meet.

Also finishing second in a tight race, Evelyn Mandel ran a personal-best 4:55.39 in the women's mile and was less than 0.3 seconds out of first-place.

In the men's 60m, Tarrick Brock won his section in the prelims to advance to the finals. Brock finished fifth in the finals.

Also advancing to the shot put finals, Brooklin Klopf finished sixth with a throw of 14.05m.

COACH'S THOUGHTS
"From a competitive standpoint, I thought we were fine," head track and field coach Darryl Anderson said. "We left some people at home, and we're beginning our prep work for Big 12s with next week as our final tune-up for that meet. I'm looking at the weather, and we're going to have sunny and mid-70s on Monday and Tuesday, so I took this meet away so we could train those days. So, we didn't run a whole lot here today and only a few people doubled up. But, Derrick ran well, Lily ran well, and I thought we had some key performances in some areas. Even though their times weren't fast, I thought the 60 meter guys were better today from an execution standpoint. We're getting to a point where we should start to see drops in times. But the key over the next three weeks is that we can get practice sessions in and that we can start running faster in practice."

UP NEXT
The Horned Frogs return to action next weekend at the Texas Tech Shootout, the team's final meet before the Big 12 Indoor Championships. The meet is scheduled for Friday-Saturday, Feb. 8-9.