• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Men's Tennis Slips Past Arizona State

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2019/3/24/mens-tennis-horned-frogs-slip-past-arizona-state.aspx

GoFrogs: Men's Tennis Slips Past Arizona State

FORT WORTH, Texas – The No. 10 TCU men's tennis team had to perform a comeback on Sunday as the Horned Frogs banded together in singles action to pick up the 4-3 victory over No. 35 Arizona State at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center in Fort Worth.

TCU (14-3) dropped the doubles point for the first time in eight matches as Arizona State (7-10) used an early break on court two to get the win to start the match. The Frogs were in a battle on the other two courts, but a late break on court three was the deciding factor as the Sun Devils got the 7-5 win and the early 1-0 lead in the match.

The Frogs responded in singles and captured the opening set on five of the six courts. It took over two hours, but TCU scored its first point from No. 7 Alex Rybakov with the senior getting the 7-5, 7-5, victory over No. 55 Nathan Ponwith to improve to 18-1 on the year and 10-1 against ranked opponents. Arizona State went back on top with a win on court three, but No. 25 Alastair Gray gritted out a 6-3, 3-6, 6-4 win on court two to even up the match at 2-2. No. 115 Bertus Kruger got a late break on court four to secure the win and make it 3-2 for TCU, but the Sun Devils took court six with all eyes turning to the final court. At the time Luc Fomba was up 4-0 in the final set and the sophomore finished off his match with a break to take court five, 6-2, 4-6, 6-3, and give the Frogs their ninth straight win.

Quotes from the Match
Head Coach David Roditi
"All this entertainment is killing me, but I wouldn't trade it for anything. Our team found a way again. They are willing to suffer and deal with the pressure of being out there and being vulnerable. My favorite part today is that we lost the doubles point and had to come back in singles to win four matches. Every match was a battle and I'm proud of our guys for finding a way to win. It looked like our fans had a blast too and I hope they took full advantage of what we are organizing out here in the parking lot. Please come out Tuesday when we battle SMU in a doubleheader with our women's team."

Match Results
Arizona State vs TCU
03/24/19 at Fort Worth, Texas
(Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center)
#10 TCU 4, #35 Arizona State 3

Singles competition
1. #7 Alex Rybakov (TCU) def. #55 Nathan Ponwith (ASU) 7-5, 7-5
2. #25 Alastair Gray (TCU) def. Dominik Kellovsky (ASU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-4
3. Justin Roberts (ASU) def. Reese Stalder (TCU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
4. #115 Bertus Kruger (TCU) def. Andrea Bolla (ASU) 6-1, 2-6, 6-4
5. Luc Fomba (TCU) def. Tim Ruehl (ASU) 6-4, 4-6, 6-2
6. Makey Rakotomalala (ASU) def. Sander Jong (TCU) 6-2, 4-6, 6-3

Doubles competition
1. #6 Bertus Kruger/Reese Stalder (TCU) vs. #18 Dominik Kellovsky/Nathan Ponwith (ASU) 6-6, unfinished
2. Justin Roberts/Makey Rakotomalala (ASU) def. Alastair Gray/Alex Rybakov (TCU) 6-4
3. #56 Tim Ruehl/Andrea Bolla (ASU) def. Luc Fomba/Sander Jong (TCU) 7-5

Match Notes:
Arizona State 7-10; National ranking #35
TCU 14-3; National ranking #10
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (1,3,2,4,6,5)
T-3:22 A-542

Up Next
TCU will finish out its home stretch of matches by welcoming SMU on Tuesday, March 26 at 5:30 p.m., on the Bernard J. 'Tut' Barzten Varsity Courts.