• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Men's Tennis Advances in NCAA Opener

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

GoFrogs: TCU Advances in NCAA Opener

FORT WORTH –
No. 1 seed TCU won its opening match of the NCAA Tournament, 4-0, over Drake on Friday at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center.

The Horned Frogs (24-4) picked up the doubles point after a win from the No. 2 pairing of Sander Jong and Lui Maxted, 6-2, followed by the No. 3 team of Juan Carlos Aguilar and Pedro Vives, 6-2.

In singles, Pedro Vives won a quick match, 6-3, 6-0 over Reid Jarvis. No. 12 ranked Fomba won TCU's third point, 6-4, 6-3 over Jeremy Schifris. The final point came from the No. 6 court where Tomas Jirousek defeated Markus Bolin, 6-1, 6-3.

TCU will face Utah (21-7) in the second round on Saturday at 4 p.m. at the Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center. Utah defeated Ole Miss (16-13) earlier on Friday, 4-2. The game lasted three and a half hours, causing a delay of the TCU match.

Tickets are $5 and must be purchased at the gate (cash only).

From head coach David Roditi
"I thought the guys did a great job coming out of the gate with the doubles point. One of the most solid doubles points we've played all year. I just loved the way our players handled the delay. It was a great start. I thought in singles, I liked the way we responded to the stress and the way we responded to pressure and how we responded to being the No. 1 seed not just here in the region but in the country. Tomorrow, it's very obvious that we will be in an absolute war with Utah. They have a lot of guys that compete very well. It's a gritty team from what I saw today. They are well coached. It should be very exciting. It was a beautiful night tonight. It will be beautiful tomorrow. It will be hot. It will be windy. We would love to get as much support as possible so we can continue to advance down this road to Champagne. Thank you for the support today."

Singles Results
1. #12 Luc Fomba (TCU) def. Jeremy Schifris (Drake) 6-4, 6-3
2. #18 Juan Carlos Aguilar (TCU) vs. Matija Matic (Drake) 5-7, 5-4 uf
3. #72 Sander Jong (TCU) vs. Evan Fragistas (Drake) 7-6 (7-5), 4-1 uf
4. #92 Jake Fearnley (TCU) vs. Oliver Johansson (Drake) 1-6, 6-2, 3-5 uf
5. Pedro Vives (TCU) def. Reid Jarvis (Drake) 6-3, 6-0
6. Tomas Jirousek (TCU) def. Markus Bolin (Drake) 6-1, 6-3
Order of finish: 5, 1, 6

Doubles Results
1. #1 Luc Fomba/Jake Fearnley (TCU) vs. Evan Fragistas/Jeremy Schifris (Drake) 4-2, uf
2. #10 Sander Jong/Lui Maxted (TCU) def. Oliver Johansson/Matt Clegg (Drake) 6-2
3. Juan Carlos Aguilar/Pedro Vives (TCU) def. Reid Jarvis/Matija Matic (Drake 6-2
Order of finish: 2, 3