• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Mapaya Captures Big 12 Championship Record

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2021/5/16/...paya-captures-big-12-championship-record.aspx

GoFrogs: Mapaya Captures Big 12 Championship Record

MANHATTAN, Kan. — Chengetayi (Du) Mapaya established a facility record, season-best mark and Big 12 Championship record with his distance of 17.01 meters (55' 9.75").

He captured his third facility record at R.V. Christian Track & Field Complex en route to his fourth Big 12 title. Mapaya jumped 16.78m (55' 0.75") to break the E.B. Cushing Stadium Record this past month in College Station, Texas. His first facility record occurred at Texas Tech's Sports Performance Center during indoor season where he leaped 16.85m (55' 3.5"), breaking the school record.

The Harare, Zimbabwe, native broke Will Claye's Big 12 Championship record (16.94m) from 2009 on his first attempt. Claye went on to be an Olympian for the United States in 2012 and 2016. The Olympic standard this year is 17.14m.

Mason Buckmaster scored the Frogs' first points on Saturday afternoon in the men's high jump. The Smith Center, Kansas, native jumped a season-best 2.11m.

The men's 4x100 squad of TJ Brock, Tinotenda Matiyenga, Kundai Maguranyanga and Robert Gregory Jr. started Sunday's competition slate off with a gold medal. The squad ran a 39.75 in a downpour, topping Texas by four-thousandths of a second. The women's 4x100 placed fourth overall taking their heat with a 45.71.

Rainey Anderson was the next Frog to score points as he took home sixth in the 110 hurdles (14.34).

Ten-time All-American Derrick Mokaleng collected his fourth Big 12 silver medal of his Horned Frog career in the 400m, running 45.95 and earning eight points. Freshman David Seete also contributed three points with a sixth-place finish (46.94). TCU's 11 points in the 400 led the conference.

Gregory Jr. earned his second medal of the day in the 200 as the standout sprinter placed second and ran a 20.69. Matiyenga (sixth) and Maguranyanga (seventh) completed the trio of Horned Frogs in the 200m final, who combined for a conference-high 13 points in the event.

Kyla Robinson-Hubbard, another freshman, scored four points for the women in the 400m hurdles with a time of 59.24.

Two Frogs combined for seven points in the 100m, as Matiyenga (10.34) and Brock (10.35) placed fifth and sixth, respectively.

The men's 4x400 team closed out the meet with a fourth-place finish (3:04.77), propelling the Frogs ahead of Kansas in the team rankings.

TCU's men slotted in at sixth place while the women finished 10th overall.

Selections to the NCAA Championship will be announced on Thursday, May 20. The preliminary rounds are scheduled for May 26-30 in Jacksonville, Florida and College Station, Texas. This year's Championship is slated for June 9-12 at Oregon's Haywood Field in Eugene.

Quotes
Chengetayi (Du) Mapaya, Men's Triple Jump Champion

On his performance…
"It was a good day. It was a bit rainy but this is like pre-Oregon. Oregon's gonna be like this so I just took this like I'm gonna be at Nationals. Coach told me to just go out there and take one good jump and just rest after that. So that's exactly what I did."

On setting records in bad weather...
"It's amazing. It's a good feeling because it's always good to go out there and set a mark. It's a great feeling every time you jump well and I'm satisfied with my competition."

On what he can take from this competition...
"This is just the start. It's only going to get better after this. You're gonna get better competition. It was good competition today, but going into preliminaries and nationals will be better competition. That means bigger jumps are coming, definitely."

Robert Gregory Jr., Men's 4x100 Anchor
On the team's performance…
"Good, we messed up on the handoffs a little bit but we are just glad we got to run."

On handling the conditions...
"No, we just go out there and have fun. We don't let the weather dictate our race."