• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Horned Frogs Edged by Mountaineers

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog

GoFrogs: Horned Frogs Edged by Mountaineers
FORT WORTH - The TCU football team dropped a 29-17 decision to West Virginia on Saturday night in Amon G. Carter Stadium.

TCU started fast as Derius Davis returned the game's opening kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown. It was his fourth career special teams touchdown. His three career punt returns for touchdowns are tied for second in program history. It was the first time TCU returned the game's opening kickoff for a touchdown since at least 1996.

West Virginia utilized its ball control offense in the first quarter to take a 10-7 lead, scoring on its two possessions. In the opening 15 minutes, the Mountaineers held a 23-7 edge in plays from scrimmage and an 11:36 to 3:24 advantage in time of possession.

Trailing 13-7 in the second quarter, TCU went for it on 4th-and-3 from the West Virginia 5 and regained a 14-13 lead as a scrambling Max Duggan found a wide open Taye Barber in the end zone with 5:17 left in the second quarter.

Duggan passed for 244 yards on 16-of-26 attempts to give him 5,465 in his career, moving him past Casey Pachell (5,415, 2010-13) into fifth place in TCU history.

After West Virginia went back on top, Griffin Kell's 24-yard field goal with 14 seconds left in the second quarter cut TCU's deficit to 20-17 at the half.

TCU's Quentin Johnston had five receptions for 113 yards to top the 100-yard mark for the second straight game and fourth time in his career.

Dee Winters led TCU defensively with a career-high 12 tackles, while Corey Bethmyley had a sack.

Up Next
TCU will be on the road for the third time in four games when it travels to Kansas State next Saturday, Oct. 30, for a 2:30 p.m. contest on ESPNU.

++++++++++++

TCU – WEST VIRGINIA POSTGAME NOTES
TCU 17, WVU 29

Team Notes

* TCU scored on both its red-zone opportunities and remains the nation's leader at 100.0 percent (25-of-25) on the season. The Horned Frogs have 18 touchdowns and seven field goals on their red-zone chances.
* TCU scored for the 362nd consecutive game. It's the nation's second-longest current streak and moves past BYU (361, 1975-2003) for third-longest in NCAA history. The Horned Frogs haven't been blanked since Nov. 16, 1991, at Texas (32-0).
* A sack by Corey Bethley gave TCU at least one sack in 92 of its last 98 games.
* TCU played its first conference home night game since a 31-24 victory over Oklahoma State in the 2018 regular-season finale.
* TCU's captains were Emari Demercado, Max Duggan, Ochaun Mathis and Dee Winters. Duggan, Mathis and Winters have been captains in each game this season.
* TCU wore a black jersey, white pants and a white helmet.

Individual Notes
Offense
* Max Duggan passed for 244 yards on 16-of-26 attempts to give him 5,465 yards in his career, moving him past Casey Pachell (5,415, 2010-13) into fifth place in TCU history.
* Quentin Johnston had five receptions for 113 yards for his second straight 100-yard effort and fourth of his career, tops among current TCU players.
* Taye Barber's 5-yard second-quarter touchdown catch on a 4th-and-3 from the West Virginia 5-yard line was his second receiving touchdown of the season and sixth of his career, trailing only Johnston (seven) among current Horned Frogs.
* Wes Harris returned to the starting lineup at right guard after being sidelined the previous three games due to injury.

Defense
* Fifth-year senior safety Michael Onyemaobi made his first career start and totaled a personal-best five tackles.
* Dee Winters had a team-best and career-high 12 tackles. His previous best was 10 stops on two occasions.
* Corey Bethley recorded his first sack of the season, giving him 10.5 for his career. It's second-most among current Horned Frogs (Ochaun Mathis, 14.5).

Special Teams
* Derius Davis returned the opening kickoff 100 yards for a touchdown. It was his fourth career special teams touchdown as his three punt returns for scores are tied for second in program history.
* Davis had TCU's first kickoff return for a touchdown since KaVontae Turpin went 99 yards against Oklahoma in 2018.
* It was the first time TCU returned the game's opening kickoff for a touchdown since at least 1996.
* The 100-yard kickoff return tied for second-longest in TCU history (105 yards, Charles Casper versus Texas, 1933) and was the Horned Frogs' longest since B.J. Catalon went 100 yards against LSU in 2013.
* Griffin Kell's 24-yard field goal made him 8-of-10 on the season and 23-of-31 in his career.
* Kell has made his last seven field-goal attempts.
* Ochaun Mathis had TCU's first block of a field goal since current TCU graduate assistant Chris Bradley versus SMU in 2017.

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU – WEST VIRGINIA POSTGAME QUOTES
TCU 17, WVU 29
Oct. 23, 2021

TCU Head Coach Gary Patterson
On what he told the team after the game
"Play hard. You can't turn the ball over. You need to manage the game and defensively make stops in order. I thought we did pretty good, you never #4 name start or play in any ballgame and today you did. I thought he did a pretty good job."

On Max Duggan
"There were three takeaways. Down the sideline, one on the deep route and then the fumble."

On where you go from here
"We play Kansas State next week. We have younger guys down the line and third and fourth strings already on the field."

TCU Wide Receiver Taye Barber
On his message to the team as a leader:
"We need to keep fighting. Everybody takes an L sometimes and you have to keep fighting no matter what to win."

On West Virginia's scoring ability:
"They're a great team and we had a couple bad turnovers, but everyone has those days."

On the targeting of Quentin's defense:
"It doesn't make it harder at all. No matter who gets targeted, we all need to do what we need to do."

On his touchdown in the first half:
"It feels great, but I just want to win at the end of the day"

TCU Linebacker Dee Winters
On message to the team on how to stay positive
"Come to work tomorrow, learn from this and be ready to go to work tomorrow and move on from this loss."

On the defensive adversity
"Go out there and show no mercy on defense. Coach P has good schemes for each team we just need to go out there and execute it correctly and we can win games."

- - -

West Virginia Head Coach Neal Brown
On the game:
"It was a quality team win if you think about it offensively and defensively. The defensive backs had three takeaways ... within that room, limiting big plays for the most part I think played their best game of the season by far. The offensive line ran the ball for 229 yards – we were able to run four-plus minutes off the clock at the end of the game, so proud of those two groups. What we've really talked about is ownership over the past two weeks. We are always aggressive. I think that's the mentality especially when you kind of get in the plus territory.

Jarret Doege – WVU Quarterback
On the importance of O-Line performance
"I think it's really important. And it is just a testament to show how hard that O-Line worked the past two weeks. They are a tough physical unit. I think they just cleaned up some details over the past two weeks and they're going to be pretty good when they want to"

On how the past three weeks did not affect the team long term
"We just never quit. We kept fighting. That was a message we talked to the offense about after the Baylor game. We just need to keep fighting and keep battling week after week."

Charles Woods – WVU Cornerback
On playing 100% of the time
"Our coaches preach all the time that you never know when your opportunity is going to come. You have to prepare like a pro and stay ready at all times. When your name is called, you just have to make a play."

On his mindset during catching the interception
"I was in my zone, and I saw the tight end leak out late, like a little trick play. I just saw the ball in the air and went to make a play and try to go score."

FrogByBirth

Ticket Exchange Pass
Edged ??!!

Must be a liberal Dem journalist. It’s all about spin and not facts.

Whoever wrote it……. Go work for MSNBC or CNN.

Or go live in Venezuela

Tcu got their ass kicked. And showed up with zero energy and motivation- as usual!!