• The KillerFrogs

GoFrogs: Baseball’s Rally Comes Up Short

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
https://gofrogs.com/news/2020/2/23/baseball-tcus-rally-comes-up-short.aspx

GoFrogs: Baseball’s Rally Comes Up Short
MINNEAPOLIS – Minnesota scored seven times in the first four innings and held off a comeback attempt by TCU, handing the Horned Frogs a 7-6 loss. Austin Henry drove in three of the Frogs' six runs in the game.

The Rundown
Minnesota jumped out to an early 1-0 lead in the first. A lead-off hit turned into a two-out run as Chase Stanke blooped a double into left field to drive in the Gophers first run of the weekend. A two-out solo home run in the second extended the lead to two.

TCU returned the favor with a pair of two out runs in the third to tie the game. Tommy Sacco doubled with two outs to drive in Conner Shepherd with the Frogs' first run of the game. A two-out error allowed Sacco to score the tying run.

After the Gophers regained the lead on a three-run home run from Jack Wassel, the Frogs once again battled back to tie the contest. Phillip Sikes worked a two-out walk to start a parade of hitters to the plate. Porter Brown reached on an infield single and Sacco drew a walk to load the bases. Austin Henry tied the game with a bases-clearing double.

Minnesota jumped back in front with two runs in the sixth. Haylen Green limited the damage with a double play ball to keep the deficit at two, 7-5.

TCU pulled back within one in the seventh, doing so without the benefit of a hit. Gene Wood was hit by a pitch to open the inning and moved to third on two wild pitches. He scored easily on a Hunter Wolfe groundout to make it a 7-6 ballgame.

Charles King (0-1) took the loss after surrendering seven runs on nine hits in 3 1/3 innings. He fanned four and did not walk a batter. Green turned in 3 2/3 scoreless frames. He struck out three. Marcelo Perez pitched a scoreless eighth.

Stat of the Game:
5 – TCU's first five runs of the game came with two outs.

Notes:
• TCU played errorless baseball for the third time this season.
• TCU drew a season-high nine walks in the game.
Porter Brown collected his third outfield assist of the season.
Austin Henry collected his fourth multi-RBI game of the season and the 16th of his career.
Hunter Wolfe stretched his hitting streak to five games.
Gray Rodgers, Porter Brown, Phillip Sikes and Hunter Wolfe have reached base safely in all six games.

Next Up:
With the loss, TCU falls to 5-1 on the season. The Horned Frogs and the Gophers will square off in the rubber match of the series on Monday afternoon. First pitch is set for 12:15. Russell Smith will make the start for TCU.

froginmn

Inability to take advantage of NINE WALKS was painful. Hurt to watch also. I enjoyed Saturday's game much more, and not because of the lopsided score. Better baseball.

flyfishingfrog

Inability to take advantage of NINE WALKS was painful. Hurt to watch also. I enjoyed Saturday's game much more, and not because of the lopsided score. Better baseball.
I agree

even if we had managed to comeback and win yesterday- it was sloppy on both sides
Hoping Big Russ brings it today like he did last Sunday

Froginbedford

Not at the top per se but I bet we start seeing some lineup variations fairly soon.

Well, there was some sarcastic syrup drizzled on my statement....That sentiment for booting the coach...in every sport except women's basketball, rifle, and equestrian...seems to be a constant when the teams don't match our expectations of a perfect, undefeated season....

Pharm Frog

Well, there was some sarcastic syrup drizzled on my statement....That sentiment for booting the coach...in every sport except women's basketball, rifle, and equestrian...seems to be a constant when the teams don't match our expectations of a perfect, undefeated season....

Oh....I would love to see an undefeated NCAA D1 baseball season at some point but I won't.

EDIT: And I interpreted your original comment to mean the current lead off batter.