1. The KillerFrogs

God Has A Plan For Your Life

Discussion in 'Hell's Half Acre' started by ThisIsOurTime, May 4, 2020.

1. I haven't thought about these questions myself but this is what I found on the web that a site put together:

Will we know each other in heaven?
    This is one of the most frequently asked questions about heaven. I would like to share an answer given by a Bible teacher of another generation - a man named William Pettingill. [Note: see the book 1001 Bible Questions Answered, William Pettingill and R.A. Torrey, Inspirational Press, 1997, p. 157. This is a reprint in one volume of two books first published many years ago. I highly recommend it as a handy reference tool for Bible students and Sunday School teachers.] He said, "We may be sure that we shall not know less in heaven than we know here."

In proof he quotes 1 Corinthians 13:12, "Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." How does God know us? Answer: He knows us completely, intimately, thoroughly, inside and out, with nothing hidden but everything seen as it really is (Psalms 139:1-4; Hebrews 4:12). When we get to heaven we'll know each other as God knows us because all the imperfections of this life will be removed. In this life sin causes us to cover ourselves-not just physically but emotionally and spiritually. But when sin is finally lifted from us, then we can be ourselves with no shame, no pain, no embarrassment, and no covering up.

Dr. Pettingill concludes that in heaven we will know every person in heaven and all of them will be friends and loved ones to us.

In his very helpful book on heaven, W.A. Criswell makes the additional point that individual personality survives into eternity. I'll be the same person then that I am now-only with all the imperfections and limitations of sin finally removed. This is a wonderful thought-that the essence of who we are will remain throughout eternity-yet vastly improved by God's grace. [Note: W.A. Criswell and Paige Patterson, Heaven, Tyndale House Publishers, 1991, pp. 33-38. He also says that in heaven we can eat all we want and not get fat. I certainly hope he's right about that.]

That helps me think about a related question that people sometimes ask: How old will we be in heaven? I once heard a preacher say that we will all be 33 years old because that's approximately how old Jesus was when he died. Of course there is no scriptural support for that statement. The truth is, there won't be any age in heaven in the sense we speak of age on the earth. Growing old is a function of the decaying effects of sin. I do not believe that babies who die in infancy will be babies for eternity nor do I believe that people who waste away of cancer will appear emaciated in heaven. It will be something else entirely - which I can barely explain and certainly do not understand.

In heaven we will know each other intimately. That's why Peter, James and John recognized Moses and Elijah, even though they had been dead for hundreds of years, on the Mount of Transfiguration (Matthew 17:1-9). I don't think they had nametags on. I think there was something about those two men that made Peter, James and John recognize them even though they had never seen them before.

That's why a wife whose husband died when she was young will be able to pick her husband out of a crowd of billions of people, even though she hasn't seen him for 50 years since he died on the earth. In heaven she will say, "Sweetheart! I knew it was you." And he will know her.

How this can be I do not know, but I believe it to be true. In heaven there will be no strangers.

What will we do in heaven?
    Again, the Bible doesn't tell us everything we would like to know, but of this we can be sure: Heaven won't be boring and it will be more fun than the best party you ever attended.

So what will we do for all eternity? The answer is, we're going to help God run the universe. Do you remember the story Jesus told about the man of noble birth who gave his servants money to invest? One servant had doubled his money so the man said, "You will rule over ten cities." The next servant had seen a 50% increase so his master said, "Rule over five cities." And the man who hid his money had even that amount taken from him in punishment (Luke 19:11-27). The story is a picture of what heaven will be like. We will use our gifts to administer the new heaven and the new earth. Bakers will bake, teachers will teach, singers will sing, and I suppose that preachers will preach. For all I know, soldiers may march off to battle and quarterbacks will throw passes. Think of the flowers the botanists will study. Gifted astronomers will go from galaxy to galaxy studying the wonders of God's creation.

I can guarantee you this: No one will be sitting around on a cloud eating grapes and polishing his halo. No, we'll all be too busy for that.

Here are five things that will occupy us in heaven. We will …

1. Worship without distraction.
    2. Serve without exhaustion.
    3. Fellowship without fear.
    4. Learn without fatigue.
    5. Rest without boredom.
    [Note: this is not original with me. I found this list in a sermon by David Burns, Minister at the Homer Church of Christ, called "Heaven is a Wonderful Place," Feburary 25, 1996.]

The best part of heaven will be seeing Jesus himself face to face. We will worship the Son of God and celebrate his great victory over sin while the endless ages of eternity roll on and on. The best music you've ever heard will pale compared to the music of heaven. The most awesome worship you've experienced on earth is but a dim reflection of the praise we will render around the throne of God.

Source: https://www.biblestudytools.com/bible-study/topical-studies/what-is-heaven-like-11636670.html

2. This made me think of that Eric Clapton song dedicated to his 5 year old son who tragically died falling out a window in NYC. "Tears in Heaven". Quite a beautiful song. And sad.

Eight and ThisIsOurTime like this.
  3. I follow Ra. He hates this thread too.

4. I believe OP is the same a$$hat who told Wes, not long before he died, that he brought brain cancer on himself through the choices he’d made in his life.

5. I had a guy tell me that my allergy to avocados was because I didn’t pray hard enough.
    He was not kidding.

satis1103 and Peacefrog like this.
  6. I would classify that as a curse, to be fair.

7. Saving $1.49 every trip to Chipotle is no curse.

8. I hope Wes was quick to disregard that kind of assclownery.
    John 16:33
    “I have told you these things, so that in me youmay have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.”
    Matthew 5:45
    “ He makes the sun rise on both the evil and the good and sends rain on both the righteous and the unrighteous.”

9. No, sorry that wasn't me. Christians can get brain cancer too. Hope you adjust your post because that is bearing false witness.

10. Why this spam allowed in this forum?

11. we are told we won't be in a physical form, beyond that not sure and don't care much

somewhat of a pass - fail thing to mr

12. he was an uneducated dumbass

13. scheiss your opinion.

ftwfrog and satis1103 like this.
  14. I laughed out load.

16. I'm partial to Odin and the Flying Spaghetti Monster. They, too, agree this thread sucks. But pretty much every thread by TIOT sucks because he doesn't actually listen to responses (or possibly, he just can't comprehend what other people write since it doesn't fit his narrow worldview). So it's page upon page of condescending apologist blathering disguised as TIOT trying to save all our souls.

17. Found out where the Wuhan virus came from.
    [​IMG]

18. Such an asshoe.

netty2424 likes this.
  19. I've spent a lot of my 60+ years praying, attending services and trying to catch the faith that others say exists and that I need, but it just hasn't come to me.. If I can't see it, smell it, hear it, taste it or feel it, I finally resolved that I'm not going to believe it because somebody else says or writes that it's true.. The world and what's beyond it to me is what I'll call God and refer to God as a "he".. If he has a plan for me (and I don't know if he does or not), then he's been pretty good to me I guess..

Simpleton that I am, I have to finally admit that this stuff is way beyond my comprehension..

20. I understand that just because a book is only doesn’t mean it’s less valid. But the difference in the comparison to George Washington is that we have texts written in the time of Washington by people who knew Washington first hand.

The gospels were written 30-90 years after Jesus death by people who not only never met Jesus, but were people who lived in a different country than Jesus and likely spoke a different language.