• The KillerFrogs

Get Busy Living - The passing of a good Frog

I'm hopeful a few of you knew Chris Devero. I wish the whole world could have known him. He passed away yesterday from an aggressive form of brain cancer. He was just 44. He was first diagnosed over 8 years ago and it was in remission for quite some time.

Over that time he dedicated himself to a healthy lifestyle and found his purpose in life was to raise awareness for cancer, particularly children. He became a triathlete and raised lots money for Kids Shouldn't Have Cancer. He directly helped raise funds for Micah and I know he and Maurice shared some time together.

Last year he was preparing for an epic marathon journey where he was to run marathons on 7 continents in 7 days to raise money for cancer research. As the date neared his tumor resurfaced and he had to cancel his plans.

The cancer became more aggressive and he finally lost his battle yesterday. But he didn't lose the war. Facing eminent death he found his purpose. Passions come and go. They get the blood flowing when the mood strikes. But purposes are eternal. They get you out of bed when your mind is literally telling you no.

He was a good Frog. A Nolan guy. He was my friend and I hope he was yours. His motto was "get busy living." What are we waiting for?

Last edited:

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Get busy living, or get busy dying. That’s a great eulogy for your friend. I did not know him but man I wish someone Would day the same of me. RIP to your friend.
oh man. I didnt need to read that one but i am sorry to hear of his passing.
His name sure sounds familiar and I am not sure if I ever met him but wish that I had

Virginia Frog

I'm hopeful a few of you knew Chris Devero. I wish the whole world could have known him. He passed away yesterday from an aggressive form of brain cancer. He was just 44. He was first diagnosed over 8 years ago and it was in remission for quite some time.

He was a good Frog. A Nolan guy. He was my friend and I hope he was yours. His motto was "get busy living." What are we waiting for?

Anytime we lose a Frog, young or old, it's a BIG LOSS in my book.

Your friend was a splendid example on living. His motto "get busy living" is one worth remembering. He taught me something today and I'd bet he'd get a kick out of that!

My condolences you and to his family and friends.

He was the most gracious and kind person I had ever known. Heck, his best friends went to SMU but he loved them still. I wish I could say he was a great friend but that's my fault. I didn't have the chance to say goodbye and that will eat at me for a long time.

TxFrog1999

The Man Behind The Curtain
I didn’t know Chris, but after reading that I wish I had. My condolences on the loss of your friend and an amazing Frog.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I'm sorry Wes. Don't let it discourage you. Fight with courage and purpose. As your friend, that's all I ask. Keep changing lives. You've made mine better.
That’s about the nicest thing anybody’s ever said to me and I thank you so much for that.

Of course I’m very sorry to hear of his passing that’s a terrible thing but I am encouraged to hear that he lived in eight years after diagnosis that’s very inspirational and lets me know it can be done. These Brian cancers are nasty And life expectancy after diagnosis can be relatively short in my case it’s 15 months after diagnosis on average, so to hear that somebody made it eight years, that’s pretty incredible And it gives me hope.

My only regret is I never got a chance to meet him but he has given me a great deal of hope.

Last edited:

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
I just went to his website and I'm so glad that I did. This man is inspirational and if anybody has the Frog Factor, it's Chris Devero

Everyone should take a moment and visit his site, Chris Devero.com because you will feel a lot better if you do.

I feel sorry for myself about half the time and then I read about Chris Devero, then kick myself, saying "get off your ass and get busy living"

Thank you Chris and I mean that sincerely

I just went to his website and I'm so glad that I did. This man is inspirational and if anybody has the Frog Factor, it's Chris Devero

Everyone should take a moment and visit his site, Chris Devero.com because you will feel a lot better if you do.

I feel sorry for myself about half the time and then I read about Chris Devero, then kick myself, saying "get off your ass and get busy living"

Thank you Chris and I mean that sincerely

Glad you did. I'll pass that on to his widow. He was working on a book too. He had a friend with publishing connections and I assume he was working through him to get it published. I mean it when I say it, I wish everyone could have known him.

Btw, got your PM...I'll try to get your question answered asap.

wes

KIllerfrog Emeritus
Glad you did. I'll pass that on to his widow. He was working on a book too. He had a friend with publishing connections and I assume he was working through him to get it published. I mean it when I say it, I wish everyone could have known him.

Btw, got your PM...I'll try to get your question answered asap.
No need to check. The answer is on his website.

It doesn’t really matter. All brain cancers are nasty but the fact he made it 8 years after diagnosis is remarkable. Gives me hope

They just released his obit. It is exceptionally awesome.

https://thompsonfunerals.com/obituaries/christopher-edward-devero/311/

Christopher Edward Devero, passed away peacefully on November 13, 2018, with his wife Katy beside him and surrounded by friends and family.

Chris was born in Beaumont, Texas on December 20, 1973. He fought cancer like the cops fought the Crips and Bloods in the acclaimed 1988 film ‘Colors’ starring Sean Penn and Robert Duvall, with a riveting theme song by Ice-T. In his life that was cut short, he climbed mountains, played guitar, attended music festivals with a vast array of friends, danced, starred in short films and dramatic recreations for true-crime television shows, competed in triathlons and various other endurance athletic events, inspired all that he knew, raised tons of money for fighting pediatric cancer, lip-synced New Wave music better than anyone, owned a business, loved his peers deeply, never pretended to be something he wasn’t, cared immensely about all, annoyingly beat people into submission until they begrudgingly agreed to live a healthy lifestyle because he wanted them to feel better, never gave a crap about your political affiliation, and ultimately found absolute and perfect true love with Katy. Chris was exceptionally awesome. His smile would light up a room, and his practical jokes such as hiding raw shrimp in your car in the Texas heat would give you nothing but respect for his sense of humor. He will be missed deeply. He would also be mad if you felt sorry for him. So… don’t. Just appreciate that such a genuine, caring, funny, loving, philanthropic person walked the Earth at the same time as you, and maybe give a few bucks to his favorite charity, the Kids Shouldn’t Have Cancer Foundation.

Chris is preceded in death by his maternal grandparents, Grace and Edward Jordan, and Alta Marie and Roy W. Devero.

He is survived by his mother Miriam Jordan Brown and his step-father Owen Brown, his father Kenneth R. Devero and step-mother Jean Devero, brother Kenneth R. Devero II and wife Renea, and their two sons, brother Richard R. Devero and wife Michelle, and their two sons, step-brothers Kelly and Kevin Kirkpatrick, step-brother & sister Paul David Brown, Stacy Brown Wolf, and most importantly, his amazing wife Katy Devero.