• The KillerFrogs

Georgia, Michigan and TCU

Barium Bomber

JogginFrog

These percentages make no sense. How does USC only have a 12% chance of making it? As long as they win the pac 12 championship game, they make it. It doesn’t matter what happens in any other game. This isn’t disputed by anyone.
It's dumb. ESPN's "FPI" predictor claims that if LSU, NC, Utah, and Purdue all get the upsets, and TCU and SC win as favorites, OSU is more likely the SC to make the final 4 (69% chance to 52% chance). Might as well throw that model in the garbage.
If you want to see "no sense" and "dumb," look at FiveThirtyEight's model that shows 3-loss K-State as the 3 seed in the CFP if the top 4 teams lose this weekend.

Wexahu

Anyone into data visualization, here are the resumes of the 6 teams generally considered in the running for the playoff:

This is an interesting chart, and favorable to us. I don't know how Composite Ranking is determined, but the fact we only have two opponents with a negative bodes well. The number of small circles is the only negative. USC's really is unimpressive relative to the others, and Georgia's is maybe even more impressive than what I would have thought.

Wexahu

Yep. One game. And both teams won.

And I was told by another poster that how many games you win on the road should matter more than anything, because road games are so much harder than home games. Where were these games against Minnesota played?

What people argue is important depends on their horse in the race.

JogginFrog

And I was told by another poster that how many games you win on the road should matter more than anything, because road games are so much harder than home games. Where were these games against Minnesota played?

I still think road wins are important. :)

Mostly I think models that don't make adjustments for where games are played do a poor job of differentiating between a team that plays 8 at home vs. one that plays 6 at home.

Wexahu

I still think road wins are important. :)
This year the number of wins over Bowl teams and number of road wins is important (as they should be), and point margins are not important (but they should be), except last week. In 2014, not so much.

I know how this works. ;)

This is an interesting chart, and favorable to us. I don't know how Composite Ranking is determined, but the fact we only have two opponents with a negative bodes well. The number of small circles is the only negative. USC's really is unimpressive relative to the others, and Georgia's is maybe even more impressive than what I would have thought.
Composite ranking is a composite of ESPN FPI, SP+, kelly ford, FEI, beta rank and CFB winning edge. Those all use the same scale and are more predictive type rankings. So it is isn't an average of ranks but he actually uses the values to average.

Really seems like OSU has a good argument over USC for #4.

Planks

If you want to see "no sense" and "dumb," look at FiveThirtyEight's model that shows 3-loss K-State as the 3 seed in the CFP if the top 4 teams lose this weekend.

I like FiveThirtyEight, but I think this is a pretty good example of one of those times where using a model of some kind just isn’t a good way to make predictions.

The model can say Kansas State has a 20% chance of going to the playoffs, but I can say with 100% certainty that unless about 7-8 schools disband their football programs, effective immediately, then Kansas State has no chance.

I remember in 2014 FiveThirtyEight said we had a 99% chance of making the playoffs after we beat Iowa State in the last game. They had fed the model historical trends, which showed dropping in the rankings multiple spots after winning big never happens. Well it happened.

Wexahu

I like FiveThirtyEight, but I think this is a pretty good example of one of those times where using a model of some kind just isn’t a good way to make predictions.

The model can say Kansas State has a 20% chance of going to the playoffs, but I can say with 100% certainty that unless about 7-8 schools disband their football programs, effective immediately, then Kansas State has no chance.

I remember in 2014 FiveThirtyEight said we had a 99% chance of making the playoffs after we beat Iowa State in the last game. They had fed the model historical trends, which showed dropping in the rankings multiple spots after winning big never happens. Well it happened.
Only six teams have a greater than 0% chance. Seven if you want to throw Tennessee in there if every game is a 50-0 blowout by the underdogs.

I’d put their odds at about 0.000001%.

Wexahu

The bottom chart shows TCU’s two best wins over Texas and Kansas State are better than either of Ohio State’s, USC’s or Alabama’s two best. If USC wins this Saturday and TCU loses, that will still be the case.
That same chart shows us at #8, so I don't think we should necessarily put a lot of stock in that "best win" stat.

Right now OSU's win at Penn State is probably the best win of TCU, OSU and USC....our second best win is probably better than those two's.....but that 22-point loss to UM and not playing this weekend loom large against OSU.

The top chart is averages are all the predictor/ point margin type rankings where we have lagged this year because of close wins. But we've slowly risen by the predictor measure (the Iowa State margin really brought us up). Again you can see USC's issues- they really lag in predictor/ point spread type ranks.

Planks

Right now OSU's win at Penn State is probably the best win of TCU, OSU and USC....our second best win is probably better than those two's.....but that 22-point loss to UM and not playing this weekend loom large against OSU.

Worth noting that in the rankings from last week the committee had Penn State ranked #11 and Kansas State ranked only 1 spot behind at #12. If Kansas State beats TCU on Saturday and wins the Big 12 championship, I would have to think that Kansas State jumps Penn State in the rankings

Ironically, by losing we will make our “best win” better. How will the committee handle that?

Wexahu

Worth noting that in the rankings from last week the committee had Penn State ranked #11 and Kansas State ranked only 1 spot behind at #12. If Kansas State beats TCU on Saturday and wins the Big 12 championship, I would have to think that Kansas State jumps Penn State in the rankings

Ironically, by losing we will make our “best win” better. How will the committee handle that?
Yes, our loss would be to a Top 10 team, and KSU will pass PSU. Not sure how far KSU can rise, but they'll definitely be in the Top 10.

HFrog1999

The same goes for the committee, except their horse is named Ratings & Attendance.

It’s never been about the four best teams, or the four most deserving teams.

It’s always about generating ratings and ticket sales. That’s why their supposed criteria changes every week.

Wexahu

The same goes for the committee, except their horse is named Ratings & Attendance.

It’s never been about the four best teams, or the four most deserving teams.

It’s always about generating ratings and ticket sales. That’s why their supposed criteria changes every week.
Cincinnati last year?

If it's always about that, Cincinnati would have never been a playoff team. It would have been so easy to justify their exclusion had they wanted to.