• The KillerFrogs

General Bowl Games Conversation

Long Time Lurker

So, in the case of Cincy, it is a disparity of talent. How does that explain Michigan? They come from the B1G. Won the B1G as a matter of fact, beating the tar out of Mighty tOSU. Can't plead disparity of talent there now can we...

Are there other factors beyond the disposition of "talent" that come into play when the whistle blows? Methinks there are. This does not discount the "talent" angle at all, but as has been seen over and over again what a kid does in H.S. rarely translates into the same dominance in College. And, while teams like Florida are full of the very best talent, that talent is often wasted pointlessly. Every now and again, the stars align for a Program where the chance variables come together and they do wonderful things. But, it rarely lasts.

Alabama has achieved dominance through many avenues. Talent is most certainly one, but the proper evaluation of talent is key, as is the channeling of that talent in a fruitful direction through discipline and attrition. Managing to produce one Championship team over a 15 year span is a monumental achievement. Producing a slew of them, and being in the mix of all the others, is unprecedented. Saban has intelligently, and ruthlessly, removed many of the variables that could cause a lack of focus in his team. He stresses Old School fundamentals, and is merciless in seeing that his high standards of discipline, poise, and attention to detail are followed, not just among players but among his Staff as well.
It doesn’t hurt to play 3 FCS teams a year. Having the blind allegiance of an entire state, allowing tou to gray shirt, cut and screw over any kid you want with zero consequences helps. It also helps to have zero compunction about all that dirt you do.

helcap

I know. I'm saying if you transfer you sit a year, no exceptions. Doesn't matter if you've graduated or if your coach leaves. Too many loopholes involved with that. What if your coach quits or retires? What if he's fired? What if he's about to get fired and technically "quits" and then takes another job? Are their different rules for each situation?

Kids should choose carefully what SCHOOL they want to attend among the schools that are recruiting them (most have many, many choices), and then stick it out with that school. If they find out they made a mistake they can go wherever they want, just can't play their sport for a year. Very simple, and fair.
It got to the point where the NCAA granted 86% of waiver requests. All you had to do is hire an attorney and they were afraid to go to court. And they were probably correct. For example, when Fields transferred from Georgia to tOSU his basis for a waiver was that Georgia was a racist environment where he did not feel comfortable. In today's PC world how does the NCAA challenge that Reinstating the sit out a year rule won't change the inability to enforce it

Last edited:

tetonfrog

I love the current transfer rule. Why should a player have to sit out a year when any assistant or head coach can come & go freely? I would like to see a new rule saying a player would have to stay at least 2 years at his transfer school or go JUCO before switching schools another time.

FrogBall09

I love the current transfer rule. Why should a player have to sit out a year when any assistant or head coach can come & go freely? I would like to see a new rule saying a player would have to stay at least 2 years at his transfer school or go JUCO before switching schools another time.
So you hate the NFL then I assume since they restrict player movement and not coaches also?