• The KillerFrogs

Gary

Palliative Care

My roots run deep in TCU going back to my childhood growing up near the stadium. I have nine family members who graduated from our school and I even have a nephew who works on the football staff. So yes I remember the bad times before Coach Fran. We saw so many coaches struggle to win more games than we lost since Abe Martin left in 1959. Coach Fran suddenly turned us around and then soon left. Left behind was Gary Patterson. He looked less like a big time skeptics that he was the man. Gary brought to this small left behind school more national recognition even great Dutch Meyer ever did.
For this and the memories of the great player and teams we have been blessed with all these years, I will stand tomorrow and as the seniors are introduced I will be saying over and over to Coach Patterson in appreciation.... Gary, Gary, Gary. I am not asking this of anyone else but when you hear and see a crazy old man in the upper deck making a fool of himself know that it is me saying thanks the best way I can.

LisaLT

My roots run deep in TCU going back to my childhood growing up near the stadium. I have nine family members who graduated from our school and I even have a nephew who works on the football staff. So yes I remember the bad times before Coach Fran. We saw so many coaches struggle to win more games than we lost since Abe Martin left in 1959. Coach Fran suddenly turned us around and then soon left. Left behind was Gary Patterson. He looked less like a big time skeptics that he was the man. Gary brought to this small left behind school more national recognition even great Dutch Meyer ever did.
For this and the memories of the great player and teams we have been blessed with all these years, I will stand tomorrow and as the seniors are introduced I will be saying over and over to Coach Patterson in appreciation.... Gary, Gary, Gary. I am not asking this of anyone else but when you hear and see a crazy old man in the upper deck making a fool of himself know that it is me saying thanks the best way I can.
I think that is awesome. I wish I could be there too. I will be in spirit. GP got me interested in TCU football again, so I am forever appreciative of what he has accomplished.

ECoastFrog

I get that the team has been coasting for several years, and Gary was not responding effectively. But OMG, I, nor probably most people, wanted him to go out like this. I will always admire all he has done for TCU and Ft. Worth. That man has had a tremendous impact. I hope the entire stadium erupts in a cheers for Gary. He deserves it.

BleedNPurple

Right there with you brother! I spent my first year in FW in the apartments across from the stadium when that was a golf course - 1959. I was 4 years old. My dad would come home from work at TCU and take us across the street to watch Bob Lilly and the team work out. We got to mingle and meet the players - a year later Abe Martin was our neighbor in Wedgwood and we walked around the block with he and his poodle Gidget regularly. I knew who the new coach was going to be in every sport before it was released in the papers. It was an honor to spend so much time with Abe and my pop and he were good friends. I’m a real frog though and through - graduated 78.

Palliative Care

I really appreciated you stories BleedNPurple. We lived on Westcliff Road North. When I go to the games I park in the old neighborhood. The sounds of the games still fill the air there. A lot has changed. More changes to come too. However I loved the crowd’s response to Gary’s riph ram appearance. I bet that shook the old hood.