• The KillerFrogs

Gary to Nebraska?

Traveling Frog

GP’s issues are what a head coach’s main priority is, his lack of ability and trust in hiring good assistants. Once Bumpas left he was never replaced and the D fell apart. On offense he found lighting inside bottle in 2014 that had some type of fall out within the program and were fired and rehired. Why rehire a coach that was fired? He hired his friends and kept his friends On the staff to long. I don’t see that ever changing with GP so I think GP would make a great assistant coach or analyst.

Eight

Alright… I remember Fields being the apex of metroplex recruiting for ole Gary and he was doing great then the assault and etc. they kicked him off the team. I’ll always be curious what if Fields isn’t kicked off and goes into the probation counseling route. look at how long OU held onto Mixon.
Seems like we recruited like bleep in the metroplex since then.

granted, successfully recruiting the metroplex doesn't guarantee success but when you are the only p5 program in an area as fertile as the dfw area you should be able to pick up a solid number of kids each year without throwing a huge amount of resources at their recruitment (which is important for tcu) as well as have a fairly accurate judge on their potential due to knowing the kids, their programs, etc

in gary's last 3 classes (2019-2021) the frogs signed 6 kids out of the metroplex out of their total 62 kids signed overall or roughly 1/10 kids which seems a bit low.

compare that to the 2016-2018 classes where the frogs signed 5 kids each year and 15 of their total 70 kids signed or roughly 1/ ~4.5

the high water class was the 2015 class when tcu signed 12 of their 23 recruits from the metroplex

what is interesting is that in sonny's first class the frogs signed their first prospect out of arlington since that 2015 class or 7 years. arlington might not be loaded each year, but there are way too many schools and too many athletes for tcu not to sign someone out of there for 7 years

additionally, the 4 kids signed from the dallas area specifically in 2022 is again the most since that 2015 class or 7 years.

what changed? first, staff as the frogs in 2014 had kenny perry coaching cornerbacks and zarnell fitch as the director of high school coaches

when perry left for kansas and fitch went to being a postion coach gary hired brett lemoine who had been a head coach in a small town in nw louisiana . the same program where turpin was from and lemoine might be a great guy, but you go from a long time arlington coach in perry and a guy who coached in disd in fitch to a guy who was from a very small school several hundred miles away from ft worth

simply didn't make much sense and it did impact the frogs in the area, especially when a certain coach was hired at smu and they changed how they recruited there

westoverhillbilly

Gary's demise was similar to Darrell Royal's at Texas right down to their associations with country and western music. Royal lasted 20 years and Gary lasted 20 1/2. Like Gary, Royal apexed about 5 or 6 years prior to being softly counseled out. Rightly or wrongly, it appears TCU tried a similar approach with Gary which obviously didn't work. Both had some down and out seasons then recovered. Both arguably left their programs much better than when they began coaching them.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
Gary's demise was similar to Darrell Royal's at Texas right down to their associations with country and western music. Royal lasted 20 years and Gary lasted 20 1/2. Like Gary, Royal apexed about 5 or 6 years prior to being softly counseled out. Rightly or wrongly, it appears TCU tried a similar approach with Gary which obviously didn't work. Both had some down and out seasons then recovered. Both arguably left their programs much better than when they began coaching them.
Except DKR is revered at UT…

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
amazing what winning 3 coaches polls and 2 writers poll national titles with do for one's resume

he also finished up a bit stronger, with a 10-2 season in 75 and finished in the top 10 the year before he retired
I doubt DKR would ever get dropped 6 spots after winning by 40 or 50 while being ranked #3.

DKR generally played 2 real games a year against Arkansas and OU, had a steady diet of really bad Rice, Baylor, SMU (pre payroll days), TCU, mediocre A&M, mediocre TT, stockpiled 70 or 80 of the best talent in Texas and had the benefit of overly generous officiating.

Eight

I doubt DKR would ever get dropped 6 spots after winning by 40 or 50 while being ranked #3.

DKR generally played 2 real games a year against Arkansas and OU, had a steady diet of really bad Rice, Baylor, SMU (pre payroll days), TCU, mediocre A&M, mediocre TT, stockpiled 70 or 80 of the best talent in Texas and had the benefit of overly generous officiating.

so i guess the texas coaches before dkr and the ones after had a similar level of success and truly love the officiating comment

OICU812

amazing what winning 3 coaches polls and 2 writers poll national titles with do for one's resume

he also finished up a bit stronger, with a 10-2 season in 75 and finished in the top 10 the year before he retired
And left the cupboard so we’ll-stocked that they were ranked #1 for several weeks the following year (or maybe the year after) with some dudes named Campbell.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
so i guess the texas coaches before dkr and the ones after had a similar level of success and truly love the officiating comment
You keep switching tracks, you bring up Royal then when that fails you start fishing. But okay, the coaches before Royal had a tougher SWC, the conference took its nose dive in the 60s.

If you question the officiating you must not have been watching then…

Eight

You keep switching tracks, you bring up Royal then when that fails you start fishing. But okay, the coaches before Royal had a tougher SWC, the conference took its nose dive in the 60s.

i didn't bring up dkr, that was westover, and i haven't been swiching trackes, but merely responded to your comment "except dkr was revered at ut" and then your next reply which had all the reasons as to why dkr had success at texas that for some reason no one has seemed to match and then you again made an excuse about the officiating

gary like a number of college coaches experience a career to date that is straight from a greek tragedy where they seemed to be destined to be their own demise. he didn't go complete bust like say woody hayes, not sure he quite fits in the bowden or dkr category, but do think he to date has paralleled bill snyder in a number of ways.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
i didn't bring up dkr, that was westover, and i haven't been swiching trackes, but merely responded to your comment "except dkr was revered at ut" and then your next reply which had all the reasons as to why dkr had success at texas that for some reason no one has seemed to match and then you again made an excuse about the officiating

gary like a number of college coaches experience a career to date that is straight from a greek tragedy where they seemed to be destined to be their own demise. he didn't go complete bust like say woody hayes, not sure he quite fits in the bowden or dkr category, but do think he to date has paralleled bill snyder in a number of ways.
Often thought that about Snyder also.

You did bring up the prior UT coaches and officiating issue, which was never an excuse, but an observation.

Eight

Often thought that about Snyder also.

You did bring up the prior UT coaches and officiating issue, which was never an excuse, but an observation.

not sure if it is funny or sad that a quick scroll up reveals i was the third person to reference dkr after westsider's original comment and then your reply and you were the first to make a comment about texas and dkr benefitting from the officials

82 Frog Fever

Have you ever seen Cool Hand Luke? You remind me a lot of that movie.

Attachments

• 04AA7D54-0C99-440C-A8B3-ADE0F21D39B7.jpeg
    04AA7D54-0C99-440C-A8B3-ADE0F21D39B7.jpeg
    17.5 KB · Views: 4

FrogCop19

Except DKR is revered at UT…
Given a few years to settle down (and the fact that there's a statue), I think people will remember GP's tenure here as the thing that it truly was: an amazing ride, a path back to if not true greatness, then at the very least something that every single one of us were proud to wear purple on Monday because of the success we had on Saturday. History books will show his record, including the dip at the end, as the most successful coaching stint in the school's history up to that point.

GP's efforts, both on and off the field, were the catalyst for everything our alma mater has become over the past two decades. Yes, the last few years and the way the tenure ended sucked and a lot of people are bitter about it, and God knows I've had my moments of frustration with him like everyone else has, but there is absolutely no denying that history will be kind to him as the man who built our program back from the foundations.

Eight

Given a few years to settle down (and the fact that there's a statue), I think people will remember GP's tenure here as the thing that it truly was: an amazing ride, a path back to if not true greatness, then at the very least something that every single one of us were proud to wear purple on Monday because of the success we had on Saturday. History books will show his record, including the dip at the end, as the most successful coaching stint in the school's history up to that point.

GP's efforts, both on and off the field, were the catalyst for everything our alma mater has become over the past two decades. Yes, the last few years and the way the tenure ended sucked and a lot of people are bitter about it, and God knows I've had my moments of frustration with him like everyone else has, but there is absolutely no denying that history will be kind to him as the man who built our program back from the foundations.

think fairly or not, how the career ends will always influence the perception of the body of work

woody hayes as mentioned before is an extreme, but consider the end of bowden's time at fsu or the snyder 2.0 episode

heck, mack brown's time in austin is skewed to many even with the two national title game appearances because of how things played out after the loss to bama and it isn't merely about wins and losses

very similar to watching a tv series for several years and then coming to the end and then getting a clunker