• The KillerFrogs

Gary to Nebraska?

Eight

Coach P to the NFL as a defensive coordinator

you-see-me-trollin-trolling.gif

Toad Jones

Just for info, heard yesterday Alabama's staff numbers 77. Georgia came in slighty less by one or two. Next we'll hear the Alabama's staff meet in a convention hall. Would love to see a break down on coach specifics. ie: running back coach's.... 15 as an example. BTW ..support staff r not part of that 77. What ever the pro's run Saban will be on their shadow doing the same.

No coach' makes changes in offense, defense, style etc faster than Saban. no one!!

OICU812

Just for info, heard yesterday Alabama's staff numbers 77. Georgia came in slighty less by one or two. Next we'll hear the Alabama's staff meet in a convention hall. Would love to see a break down on coach specifics. ie: running back coach's.... 15 as an example. BTW ..support staff r not part of that 77. What ever the pro's run Saban will be on their shadow doing the same.

No coach' makes changes in offense, defense, style etc faster than Saban. no one!!
Wow, no wonder Nick didn’t recognize Gary, he probably doesn’t recognize 2/3 of his own guys

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
bama is not running the same style of offense they did when the beat texas for the title and they have changed aspects of their defense as well

whatever the origin story what remains is that nick is the one constant, he is the one hiring the new staff and i highly doubt he has had nothing to do with the changes in his program
GP didn’t stay with same offense through out his career either?

Eight

you were told wrong that bama has 77 coaches and analysts and that comes from one of those analysts or special assistants or whatever title they have given him now.

they do have a number of support people and it might total close to 50, but they do not have 77 coaches and analyst

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
i am really, really sorry you are struggling with what happened with gary, but i promise the sun will keep coming up and if it doesn't than gary being gone is the least of your worries
I’m not struggling with a thing. I’m retired, doing well, and have few complaints.
Thanks for the sincere concern.

I don’t believe I have ever said it may not have been time for a change. But I also don’t think he deserves to be treated like he had a personal vendetta against TCU fans and trashed his own program. GP was a flawed human. But it’s been over 2000 years since anyone wasn’t. But he also did more for TCU than any football coach in history. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m guessing the odds aren’t good anyone will match him for some time.

82 Frog Fever

I’m not struggling with a thing. I’m retired, doing well, and have few complaints.

I don’t believe I have ever said it may not have been time for a change. But I also don’t think he deserves to be treated like he had a personal vendetta against TCU fans and trashed his own program. GP was a flawed human. But it’s been over 2000 years since anyone wasn’t. But he also did more for TCU than any football coach in history. I hope I’m wrong, but I’m guessing the odds aren’t good anyone will match him for some time.
GP did a great job, until he didn’t.
He didn’t for at least the last 4 years. The last 4 years were painful & they’re still fresh in everyone’s memory, so they’re mentioned frequently.
It will take a few years of relative success before the last 4 years are mostly forgotten.

Eight

except he did trash his own program by refusing to change, by keeping staff around that had long passed being productive, by causing descension within the program and all you have to do is listen to player talk about how everyone is treated the same now, how there is no offense versus defense

there are so many things that happened inside that program that where the byproduct of no one else but gary patterson and while he did a great number of things to advance the program and the school he was also the biggest threat to the program in recent years

no one asked him to be perfect, no one expected him to be perfect, goodness knows mistakes were tolerated for quite some time. the only thing i think many desired is that it be remembered the program wasn't his, it was the schools, and he was not above criticism or reproach

NewFrogFan

Dont think NIL and Transfer Portal are his “thing”.

I think he keeps current deal just in case there are more “openings”.

Prince of Purpoole II

Reigning Smartarse
I understand that, but some people treat GP like he has kicked their dog. I understand that lot of people don’t have the perspective of how bad we were for decades. GP, with all his faults, will always be an icon for those of us that lived through coaches dying on the sidelines at Baylor, to coaches going airborne and losing a leg, to omens of doom (lighting hitting the field level railing), to losing to Rice, 0 win seasons and being on the low end of 80 point scores. Bashing GP for his decline diminishes all the good he accomplished. Time to get over it.
All I said is that GP isn’t much of a personal recruiter. That was said throughout the last decade or so of his tenure at TCU. It has been said hundreds of times on this board with very little pushback bc it’s really not debateable. It’s odd you want to respond to a criticism that is so well-founded in fact.

When Nebraska goes hunting for a head coach I don’t think GP will be their guy.

Last edited:

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
except he did trash his own program by refusing to change, by keeping staff around that had long passed being productive, by causing descension within the program and all you have to do is listen to player talk about how everyone is treated the same now, how there is no offense versus defense

there are so many things that happened inside that program that where the byproduct of no one else but gary patterson and while he did a great number of things to advance the program and the school he was also the biggest threat to the program in recent years

no one asked him to be perfect, no one expected him to be perfect, goodness knows mistakes were tolerated for quite some time. the only thing i think many desired is that it be remembered the program wasn't his, it was the schools, and he was not above criticism or reproach
He failed, like many-if not most coaches do at one time. He didn’t intentionally trash anything like much of vitriol aimed at him seems to reflect. I just don’t understand the continual bashing of someone not even associated with TCU anymore. You hear an FA Dry or Shofner comment every once in a while and these guys and many others did far more damage to TCU than GP. Is it because he succeeded and faded? Or didn’t do what all the experts with so much HC experience here would have wanted? Okay, he’s gone. All of this tear down the statue idiocy is, well just that.

On balance, were there more positives than negative years? It has always been my belief that he was a bit of a duck out of water. He was, at heart a defensive assistant coach that found some magic after have been given his shot. He never really was the articulate public speaker. He wasn’t the CEO type. He was always like the guy that installed transmissions that was placed in the president’s chair at GM. Sooner or later the narrow expertise gets exposed.
I think any interviews with Nebraska or any former or current big program will likely bring that to light (see Bo Pellini, Ws apparently aren’t everything). TCU gave him a shot a ran with it as long as he could.

Having lived through the black cloud years, I am grateful to have lived long enough to have witnessed things I was sure TCU would never ever do. I have seen TCU change from a brown grass unattractive campus to the jewel we see now. And that is in no small way attributable to Patterson. We all get old and many of us aren’t built to change. GP is a stubborn guy that probably has no control over the way he is. He has a genius defensive mind. But he is what he is, he likely won’t change. As far as TCU goes, he’s a dead horse that no amount of kicking will change anything.

Hemingway

All I said is that GP isn’t much of a personal recruiter. That was said throughout the last decade or so of his tenure at TCU. It has been said hundreds of times on this board with very little pushback bc it’s really not debateable. It’s odd you want to respond to a criticism that is so well-founded in fact.

When Nebraska goes hunting for a head coach I don’t think GP will be their guy.
The odd thing what was being said that he couldn’t recruit the metroplex that well. Or that he put little effort in it. That was really odd.

East Coast

Tier 1
you were told wrong that bama has 77 coaches and analysts and that comes from one of those analysts or special assistants or whatever title they have given him now.

they do have a number of support people and it might total close to 50, but they do not have 77 coaches and analyst
When you count support staff as well as coaches and analysts, Napier has something like 140 at Florida. The Florida team photo was hilarious; the players were outnumbered by everyone else.

Eight

The odd thing what was being said that he couldn’t recruit the metroplex that well. Or that he put little effort in it. That was really odd.

did you see the number of metroplex recruits the frogs signed the last 3-4 classes of gary's tenure

the common refrain was kids want to go away to school and some pointed to the lack of success in the program by metroplex kids

common story i was told by high school coaching friends is a shift in relationships and attitude in how the program was being pitched to recruits and high school staffs

Toad Jones

concise and very truthful. Good post!

Dutch

T C U Froooogs
This. He's got plenty in the bank, and Mrs P is a UTerus alum. Just wondering if, at age 62, does he value happiness and a less stress over another HC gig? Most coaches have "the bug," though.
See Mack Brown who was older and richer when he went to NC. GP will coach and win again, which will be a great surprise to the geniuses on FFF.

Hemingway

did you see the number of metroplex recruits the frogs signed the last 3-4 classes of gary's tenure

the common refrain was kids want to go away to school and some pointed to the lack of success in the program by metroplex kids

common story i was told by high school coaching friends is a shift in relationships and attitude in how the program was being pitched to recruits and high school staffs
Alright… I remember Fields being the apex of metroplex recruiting for ole Gary and he was doing great then the assault and etc. they kicked him off the team. I’ll always be curious what if Fields isn’t kicked off and goes into the probation counseling route. look at how long OU held onto Mixon.
Seems like we recruited like bleep in the metroplex since then.