• The KillerFrogs

Gary, Please Wake Up

Travis Trucks

What was Jerry Kill supposed to bring to this team again? Check and balance to Gary? Help with physicality and the offensive line? Better offensive decision making?

Has Gary shut him down?

What game did you guys watch yesterday? I felt the offense showed signs of life yesterday that I haven't seen since the first half of the Ohio State game. The OL had a bad first half but they were much better in the 2nd half.

Pharm Frog

What game did you guys watch yesterday? I felt the offense showed signs of life yesterday that I haven't seen since the first half of the Ohio State game. The OL had a bad first half but they were much better in the 2nd half.

I'm not sure about having to go back to the Ohio State game but I generally agree with this. Generally because I'm not sure the O line could have played much worse in the 2nd half than it did in the first half (minus the high snaps). I do think MD's decision making speed helped out. And I think we may forget that this ISU defense isn't a bad unit like some Big 12 D's we've seen. They are pretty good and they play a basic scheme very well. I saw a bit of creativity in the offense but just a bit. O line appears to be more suited to blocking run than pass at this point which shouldn't be surprising with a newer unit in the early season.

Moose Stuff

But I’m guessing all of the starters replacing them weren’t all freshmen. I guess I should have defined group as not just 22 guys.

That was the year we started 2 freshmen LB and then Mike Freeze quit. We also had a walk-on playing safety (Downing). That was a rag tag bunch.

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
I was just curious where we stand among all power five privates all time. A little surprising to me. Take into consideration the our A, AA, AAA leagues are included and maybe shouldn’t, but total wins and losses, ties not included.

1. USC - 839 - 340
2. Syracuse- 679 - 499 (mostly as an Independent.)
3. TCU - 635-499 (we hovered near .500 prior to GP)
4. Baylor- 607 - 578
5. Miami - 589 - 332 (also mostly as an independent.)
6. Stanford - 583-450
7. Vandy - 547-606
8. Northwestern-538-688
9. Duke - 495-523
10. Wake Forest -455-662

For what it’s worth, I’m doubting many if any of these schools have done as well this century as we have under GP. Since we’ve basically had three winning eras, none longer than GPs, our history might indicate a change doesn’t necessarily mean improvement.

FWIW...

Eight

I was just curious where we stand among all power five privates all time. A little surprising to me. Take into consideration the our A, AA, AAA leagues are included and maybe shouldn’t, but total wins and losses, ties not included.

1. USC - 839 - 340
2. Syracuse- 679 - 499 (mostly as an Independent.)
3. TCU - 635-499 (we hovered near .500 prior to GP)
4. Baylor- 607 - 578
5. Miami - 589 - 332 (also mostly as an independent.)
6. Stanford - 583-450
7. Vandy - 547-606
8. Northwestern-538-688
9. Duke - 495-523
10. Wake Forest -455-662

For what it’s worth, I’m doubting many if any of these schools have done as well this century as we have under GP. Since we’ve basically had three winning eras, none longer than GPs, our history might indicate a change doesn’t necessarily mean improvement.

FWIW...

never realized we were playing in the collegiate private school league similar to high school

the school opted to move from cusa to the mwc to the big east to the big 12. wasn't part of the actual process so i am fairly sure we never HAD to make the move

if we don't want to set expectations for the program cut salaries, ticket prices - box prices- expected donations and we can go back to being happy being part of the conference , but to avoid expectations because we might not be better......

Hoosierfrog

Tier 1
never realized we were playing in the collegiate private school league similar to high school

the school opted to move from cusa to the mwc to the big east to the big 12. wasn't part of the actual process so i am fairly sure we never HAD to make the move

if we don't want to set expectations for the program cut salaries, ticket prices - box prices- expected donations and we can go back to being happy being part of the conference , but to avoid expectations because we might not be better......

Wasn’t insinuating we were. I was merely pointing out where we stand with similar programs. Just thought it was an interesting stat. But to your point, wasn’t GP a rather big part of the jump in donations, salaries, construction, and being in a position to have higher expectations? I’m not tying to argue, I always want us to be good. I certainly don’t have any answers. I just hate all the whining after one game in very abnormal year.

Pharm Frog

Wasn’t insinuating we were. I was merely pointing out where we stand with similar programs. Just thought it was an interesting stat. But to your point, wasn’t GP a rather big part of the jump in donations, salaries, construction, and being in a position to have higher expectations? I’m not tying to argue, I always want us to be good. I certainly don’t have any answers. I just hate all the whining after one game in very abnormal year.

It is an abnormal year for sure but wasn’t what we saw yesterday pretty normal for what TCU football has become recently?

Eight

yes, gary was part of that progression, but there comes a point where it is tough to summon the same energy, you don't have the same level on your staff, and your foes start to know your tendencies

as far as that one game that mirrored the issues of 2018 and 2019

seems we are hoping for 2015 and 2016 magic with a roster with some real holes in it