• The KillerFrogs

Gary did this same crap last year in Ames...

Punter1

Punted at about the 45 with less then a minute before half on a 4th a manageable.

I swear GP coaches sometimes just for the sake of the defense and the opposing score.

Be aggressive, show some confidence in the offense and trust YOUR defense. Just an absurd call not to go for it there. Very little risk and a lot to gain..

dawg

Yeah, punt was the right call with an out-of-sync offense. With the 2014 offense? Hell yes we go for it, but not with this edition. ISU was never going to try and go the length of the field, but they certainly would have taken shots from midfield with two timeouts. Had they got into FG range then a poor half suddenly turns into a [ Finebaum ] storm.

f_399

Punted at about the 45 with less then a minute before half on a 4th a manageable.

I swear GP coaches sometimes just for the sake of the defense and the opposing score.

Be aggressive, show some confidence in the offense and trust YOUR defense. Just an absurd call not to go for it there. Very little risk and a lot to gain..

Show some confidence on your offense?

What offense?

Ron Swanson

I was fine with punting there. If you don’t get it, which is extremely likely, you have 35 seconds for the other team to go 30-35 yards to get a field goal

Punter1

I was fine with punting there. If you don’t get it, which is extremely likely, you have 35 seconds for the other team to go 30-35 yards to get a field goal

I think 4th and 5 is a 50/50 deal, especially with that 2 or 3 high saftey look they showed all game...the short stuff was easy and there all night.

And if we hadn't gotten it they would have had less then 40 seconds, granted with a couple timeouts...but with a new kicker and backup QB. I don't think they would have been too aggressive there.

Land Frog

Darn baylor!
Play to win! Go for it. Clock was in our favor. Go into half with momentum.

Gary's win by 1 philosophy doesn't work in the Big 12 when most teams can score with a good deep ball. We will be losing more with side to side passes and runs versus a good downfield passer.

Spike

Blame GP all you want but remember someone had a false start making it 1st and 15. That was the real killer there. Punt was not a terrible decision.

Wexahu

I think going for it was definitely the call there at the end of the half. They were going to be into a pretty decent wind so they'd probably would've had to go 35-40 yards to get into decent FG position. Not exactly sure how many TOs they had at the time but I don't think it was all of them. In any event, that's not a lot of time for an offense like ISU to go 35 yards. In fact, knowing ISU and how conservatively they play had they gotten the ball back they may have just kinda sat on it. Anyway, I think punting was a bad move.

finafrog

Yeah, punt was the right call with an out-of-sync offense. With the 2014 offense? Hell yes we go for it, but not with this edition. ISU was never going to try and go the length of the field, but they certainly would have taken shots from midfield with two timeouts. Had they got into FG range then a poor half suddenly turns into a [ steaming pile of Orgeron ] storm.

he did the same against Baylor in 2014 exactly before half time. botched snap lead to a Baylor field goal. so, no, not in 2014.