• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU vs Cyclones (Game Moved to 1PM)

Eight

We owe him time to fix this.

Make changes in the offensive staff and go from there. If GP balks, sit him down, make him watch tape of the games again and make him watch himself on the sideline. GP is a smart guy. Even he can see that we are lost on offense. Everyone is frustrated. And, yeah, his D needs some tweeks, too.

If he cannot get it done, then...…….

does changes in the offensive staff meaning truly starting over or with the next oc be saddled with having to keep certain staff members because gary or alums like them?

Wexahu

Wow … 3-2 and people want to walk GP out on the plank. Think there are a bunch of spoiled brats on this site... if we were a big state school with all the big star recruits every year... one could understand the whining. But lets get realistic.

We're a small private school that has tied for the B12 title one year and played in the CCG another year over the past 7 seasons. We've finished #2 and #3 last 10 yrs, with a great Bowl record too. So lets just chill out and finish the season 1st.

The record this early in the season is kind of irrelevant, We’ve played an FCS team, possibly the worst team in the Big 10 West, and the worst team in our conference. Those are the wins. Big deal. Too many listless performances, the team doesn’t play with anything near the edge they used to play with. That’s the most worrisome thing to me. That’s the hallmark of a stale program, listlessness within the program that carries over onto the field. See UT and OU in Mack and Stoops latter years.

Brog

TCU has about 10,000 students. UT Austin has 51,000 students. Even in Fort Worth, there are five UT alums for every TCU alum. OU "only" has 28,000 students, but they have 3 million T-shirt fans. Trust me, everyone in Oklahoma is a OU T-shirt fan. I lived there for several years.

The only program that I can think of that is similar to TCU is Notre Dame. They have 12,000 students. However they have an endowment that is roughly 8 times TCU's endowment and they have about 66 million T-shirt fans.

The point of this is GP's achievements at TCU have been nothing short of astounding. He made us relevant. Yes, the record has slipped since joining the Big 12, but did anyone really think that TCU would dominate the Big 12 like the the Mountain West or the WAC? If so, you need to re-evaluate your expectations. This was a ten year project going in. There will be set backs. Maybe GP is behind schedule, but he is working with 18-22 year old young men with fragile bodies and egos. Give it time.

"Trust me, everyone in Oklahoma is a OU T-shirt fan." Just lost all trust in you. If you ever visit the eastern half of Oklahoma you'll find fans at a football game cheering when they hear scores called out and OU is behind in the score. There are OU fans there, to be sure, but they are outnumbered by OSU and Tulsa fans. Everyone in Oklahoma is NOT an OU-T-shirt fan.

Putt4Purple

the thing about being fearful of change is that change is going to happen regardless.

no one said a new coach comes in and the frogs are winning the big 12.

merely that gary's position isn't a life time position and when a head coach either doesn't have the will or energy to continue to evolve with game then it is time to consider a change.

You are absolutely right about fearful of change. I have lived long enough to remember a drastic change made in years past from other programs in the NCAA college and the NFL. It is inevitable for sure for change, but you better be positive in your decision or it will bite you/us in the ass big time!

asleep003

If you want to cling to nostalgia and hold tight to the little engine that could identity, be my guest. And if you can't see going 9-8 in the last 17 regular season games isn't a major cause for concern that actually does invite a legitimate discussion as to whether Patterson is still suited for his current position, then I can't help you.
Never said I wasn't concerned … just this jabber about GP's urgent removal all of a sudden. He has made the serious changes when needed... though sometimes slow doing so. We finished in the top 10, 1 1/2 and 3 seasons ago; not really nostalgia.

We've started a HS Fr QB that makes mistakes as Dolton(7-5) did his RS Fr year. Expect over the next 2 weeks that Collins may get many more reps and hopefully they'll work on D. Anderson's blocking/protection for QBs.

Last edited:

Dogfrog

There seems to be a lack of desire on this team. Coaches are responsible. TCU has to be a little concerned that the on field product seems so lackadaisical given the money spent on football - like premium clubs and suites. Hell, the club folks will be the first people to bale out. Gary needs to accept accountability and do something.

PurpleBlood87

How many remember the "dark ages" from the mid 60's to Franchione. Patterson has been a blessing to this program. He deserves every opportunity to turn this around. If he cannot, he deserves to leave on his own terms. We (TCU fans) have not always been so delusional. In the end, it's only a football game.

Yes it is only a game. But then why build new suites and pay a coach millions of dollars. Problem is he might not turn it around. With realignment looming in three or four years that's not the time to be rebuilding while SMU might be just reloading.

PurpleBlood87

You newbies have no idea what losing is. Our program and coach is good. Panic has set in. If I may say almost like expecting beer in the parking lot at anytime you want.... Ooops too soon!!!!???

I have been a TCU fan since I was born.
This program is okay. Don't know if it's good. There is something wrong somewhere and it needs to get fixed. Would love for this team to get to a bowl game just for the extra practice days but I don't know if they can manage that.

PurpleBlood87

I agree. One loss or even one losing season does not mean panic. Two or more? We shall see. I personally uphold coach GP in the highest regards for bringing the program where it is compared to the past. His success has raised the expectations of some people beyond reason at times, I think!! Go Frogs.

Those three wins are over APB, Purdue, and Kansas. That isn't much to stake a claim of things are going fine. Remember last season wasn't good either.
Plus this squad is staring down the barrel of a tough gauntlet including road games at KSU, OSU, OU, and Texas Tech.

Tell me which games TCU will be favored in the rest of the way?
at KSU
Texas
at OSU
Baylor
at Texas Tech
at OU
WVU
And that's seven straight weeks without a break. That's a rugged stretch.

Putt4Purple

Those three wins are over APB, Purdue, and Kansas. That isn't much to stake a claim of things are going fine. Remember last season wasn't good either.
Plus this squad is staring down the barrel of a tough gauntlet including road games at KSU, OSU, OU, and Texas Tech.

Tell me which games TCU will be favored in the rest of the way?
at KSU
Texas
at OSU
Baylor
at Texas Tech
at OU
WVU
And that's seven straight weeks without a break. That's a rugged stretch.

And panic has set in for the whole GP program and tenure. Geez. Instant gratification I suppose. You have no clue.

Our defense is not playing with intensity. They are not all flying around to the ball like they used to. Don’t see as many celebrations after a good play. We look listless, soft, small, and we don’t play fast we are thinking way too much. The defense may just be too complicated right now. We don’t look right and something is very wrong. We are seeing a lot of transfers out.

Putt4Purple

I have been a TCU fan since I was born.
This program is okay. Don't know if it's good. There is something wrong somewhere and it needs to get fixed. Would love for this team to get to a bowl game just for the extra practice days but I don't know if they can manage that.

Again I say, patience. Do not panick after this loss. Don't jump off a cliff.