• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU v Arkansas

TechAdvisor

TX_Krötenechse said:
Their QB looked pretty sharp. Run game is definitely worse but I'd say their pass game is better than last year

More importantly though our team is much much worse
Definitely not. The QB is the younger Allen bro. Last years team was superior.  

TK2000

The two chop block calls in the first half in my option killed scoring drives and changes the whole vibe of the game. Were they that bad/cheap? Never saw the replay?

TX_Krötenechse

TK2000 said:
The two chop block calls in the first half in my option killed scoring drives and changes the whole vibe of the game. Were they that bad/cheap? Never saw the replay?
They were the right calls, but they weren't cheap shots

SwissArmyFrog

Too many things worked against us

- penalties

- erratic QB play (sometimes great, sometimes poor throws)

- too many 2nd and 14's (began to wonder how many times I would look at the screen and see '2nd and 14'  :biggrin:

Hill has great potential, I think.  Many think his gesture was actually sign language for "Lord" but if it was, it is too close to a slash for him to use.  Lots of silly, knee-jerk reactions about Hill's maturity, regardless. 

I tend to give the CB's a little less blame.  We played so often with our CB's having to account for both short and long routes, which made it a little easier for Hog receivers to get enough space for a catch...especially if there is no pass rush, which was the case too often, IMHO.  Credit to their QB, he put the ball on target very well. 

Since the first game, it seemed to me that our PK's had been a little low.  Remembered thinking this from the stands during the South Dakota State game.  Hard to tell on this game from a TV screen, and don't know if that was the case on the blocked kick (one would think, but...).  Regardless, that blocked kick was a kick to the gut.

I thought our run defense was - oddly enough - somewhat improved from the last game.  Playing a tougher, more physical team and not giving up an 87-yard TD  :biggrin:   There were some frustrating moments, though.

Turnovers and penalties really cost us the most, I think.  Duh, right?

Someone mentioned us carrying over the "not being a good first half team" from 2015.   Got to agree.  It's kind of weird, but I can't argue against that.

I have to say, it was really interesting seeing 2 teams with vastly different offensive philosophies play against each other.

gohogs14

TechAdvisor said:
Definitely not. The QB is the younger Allen bro. Last years team was superior.  

I think the defense is probably a little better than last year, but that isn't saying much.

The offense did lose a lot but Austin Allen is a former Elite 11 QB with a good group of receivers and a mackey award watch list TE to throw to. He probably won't lead the nation in QBR like Brandon Allen did but not many QBs played like BA did toward the end of last year. Beating TCU is better than losing to Toledo like we did in week 2 last year.

I still don't know how good we'll be this year but we're definitely heading in the right direction winning 8 of our last 9 dating back to last year

FrogFrog

The 400 Frogs said:
If you seriously think that wasn't a throat slash, please post the name of the fantasy world you live in. Might be fun to visit sometime.

We had it won. QB does *that*.

That was a throat slash.
Per TCU SID, he was doing sign language for the risen King. It was a Christian move, not a violent, arrogant throat slash.

DickBumpastache

FrogFrog said:
Per TCU SID, he was doing sign language for the risen King. It was a Christian move, not a violent, arrogant throat slash.

Who gives a damn what the intent was. Every human being who has watched college or pro football knows the rules regarding the gesture. It was an obvious call.

FrogFrog

DickBumpastache said:

Who gives a damn what the intent was. Every human being who has watched college or pro football knows the rules regarding the gesture. It was an obvious call.
I care. He wasn't being stupid or thuggish. Making a "K" on his chest was misinterpreted.

stbrab

DickBumpastache said:

It was unnecessary...lack of discipline. Lack of discipline cost us the game.

Chongo94

FrogFrog said:
I care. He wasn't being stupid or thuggish. Making a "K" on his chest was misinterpreted.
The problem is it is FAR too similar to the throat slash motion and most people are unaware it means what it means. Thus, given the similarity, it is probably best he stops doing it. Sadly, because most do not know what it means, he will get a lot of heat for it. The smart thing to do is to not do it as it avoids all of this mess entirely.

FrogFrog

Chongo94 said:
The problem is it is FAR too similar to the throat slash motion and most people are unaware it means what it means. Thus, given the similarity, it is probably best he stops doing it. Sadly, because most do not know what it means, he will get a lot of heat for it. The smart thing to do is to not do it as it avoids all of this mess entirely.
I agree with all of this.

It was obviously a planned bit -- you would think that's something you give give the heads up to the ref about. But it's obviously open to interpretation so probably best to find a new bit.

I just didn't like the kids getting raked over the coals for something he didn't do.

Chongo94

FrogFrog said:
I agree with all of this.

It was obviously a planned bit -- you would think that's something you give give the heads up to the ref about. But it's obviously open to interpretation so probably best to find a new bit.

I just didn't like the kids getting raked over the coals for something he didn't do.
Completely understand.

bmoney214

OUCH!!!
Horned Eagle said:

Kenny Hill is still very inconsistent and we need him to improve pretty rapidly.
His throws were all over the place tonight. He's lucky the receivers made some nice adjustments on some of those or we might not have been in the game at all.

frognutz

bmoney214 said:
His throws were all over the place tonight. He's lucky the receivers made some nice adjustments on some of those or we might not have been in the game at all.

At least 2 or 3 that if they were even close to the intended target they would have been intercepted.