• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: TCU at Texas

Eight

watched the game with friends at a brew pub and no one could recall a more screwed up final play in terms of the penalty, the officials not sure what to do, and then the final bit.

regardless it was a good win and the team found a way to make plays at the end

guy who symbolized the win to me was van zandt, he had some really rough moments today, but didn't quit and had the interception that resulted in the field goal just before half and then the saving tackle on the long pass

defensively mathis played more physical against the run and the staff is trying to find answers upfront. will be interesting to watch if they can't get a better pass rush as well saw teams have some ideas where to attack the scheme if they get time i.e. crossing routes, back out of the backfield, wheel route all reared their ugly head at times today

offensively, max has improved so much throwing the football it is amazing considering the time he has missed. only recall the missed throw to jd in the flat on 2nd and 5 in the red zone as a ball that max really didn't give the receiver a chance or was getting blasted on the throw

receivers made some nice catches, used their bodies well on two deep balls and johnson is a different level from any other tcu receiver i have seen this year. the deep ball where he almost made the one handed catch was impressive, but even more so was the reaction to the tipped pass

the staff needs to start isolating him and pumping multiple targets his way

speaking of must they really need to continue the down hill run game. it was nice at times, but why go away from it, especially near the opponents goal. three primary backs are averaging near 5 a carry and that average isn't pumped up by one really long run. only time the backs have been consistently shut down in the first two games is when the offensive staff goes away from them

most frustrating part of the game was the three offensive series that netted only 9 points when the frogs really could have put some distance between they and texas. will admit to these feelings:

there is huge potential on the offensive side of the ball for this team and hoping they can keep finding enough defense to win a few more

Pharm Frog

watched the game with friends at a brew pub and no one could recall a more screwed up final play in terms of the penalty, the officials not sure what to do, and then the final bit.

guy who symbolized the win to me was van zandt, he had some really rough moments today, but didn't quit and had the interception that resulted in the field goal just before half and then the saving tackle on the long pass

defensively mathis played more physical against the run and the staff is trying to find answers upfront. will be interesting to watch if they can't get a better pass rush as well saw teams have some ideas where to attack the scheme if they get time i.e. crossing routes, back out of the backfield, wheel route all reared their ugly head at times today

offensively, max has improved so much throwing the football it is amazing considering the time he has missed. only recall the missed throw to jd in the flat on 2nd and 5 in the red zone as a ball that max really didn't give the receiver a chance or was getting blasted on the throw

receivers made some nice catches, used their bodies well on two deep balls and johnson is a different level from any other tcu receiver i have seen this year. the deep ball where he almost made the one handed catch was impressive, but even more so was the reaction to the tipped pass

speaking of most they really need to continue the down hill run game. it was nice at times, but why go away from it, especially near the opponents goal. three primary backs are averaging near 5 a carry and that average isn't pumped up by one really long run. only time the backs have been consistently shut down in the first two games is when the offensive staff goes away from them

most frustrating part of the game was the three offensive series that netted only 9 points when the frogs really could have put some distance between they and texas. will admit to these feelings:

there is huge potential on the offensive side of the ball for this team and hoping they can keep finding enough defense to win a few more

I think this is very fair assessment. I would add that Spielman could be much more of a threat and I thought the way Barber was used was pretty innovative. Love the ways the RBs run hard and still protect the ball too.

Eight

I think this is very fair assessment. I would add that Spielman could be much more of a threat and I thought the way Barber was used was pretty innovative. Love the ways the RBs run hard and still protect the ball too.

agreed, spielman looks more explosive than some of the other slot receivers.

miller looked really good again running the football, darwin showed great lower body strength on the td run, and they have to make defenses commit to stopping the run. that will save hits on max and take pressure off the oline in pass blocking

Pharm Frog

agreed, spielman looks more explosive than some of the other slot receivers.

miller looked really good again running the football, darwin showed great lower body strength on the td run, and they have to make defenses commit to stopping the run. that will save hits on max and take pressure off the oline in pass blocking

Wells got a target too. We’ve got weapons.

tyler durden

Tyler Durden

speaking of must they really need to continue the down hill run game. it was nice at times, but why go away from it, especially near the opponents goal. three primary backs are averaging near 5 a carry and that average isn't pumped up by one really long run. only time the backs have been consistently shut down in the first two games is when the offensive staff goes away from them

Totally agree: Van Zandt was Man of the Match for me.

Surfrog

Here are some examples:

If you can hold them, even better as the play will go on for longer and burn more clock.

Virginia Frog

1). I totally agree with the general tone.
2). Any day we beat UT is a great day in America.
3). We won because the RB couldn't protect the football inside the 1 yard line. That could have just as easily been a loss and we'd be very, very grumpy at how we gave up the lead following our go ahead score. I don't want to say "lucky", but that play definitely bailed out what to that point had been a nearly game losing drive.
The "fumble" was a direct result of the D's hard play. (Like the D's hard hitting after being very behind at the Oregon Alamo Bowl.) They never surrendered and it paid off handsomely.