• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: Cowboys vs Horned Frogs

PO Frog

I was pretty disappointed with the two plays before the missed field goal. 2nd and 3 fade that was awful and then another pass play that was dead from the start.

Also confused by the 3rd and 9 at OSU 36 and we shift to five wide in which everyone on the planet saw QB draw coming. Then we subsequently punt it through the end zone. I think even a conservative GP could have taken a chance with a couple of runs there hoping for a first but even if we don’t get it, well that 15 yard difference doesn’t matter to an OSU that was moving the ball with ease all of the sudden. And I won’t ever understand why we can’t have someone casually mention to GP from the booth that the Mule spot on the long run was bad. Review that, get the first, then breathe a little easier closing out the game. “I know how to manage ball games.” LOL

flyfishingfrog

The idea that we could have done something to run an extra 18-20 seconds off the clock seems pretty far fetched to me. And someone absolutely would have complained about it. On the second down play OSU blitzed two guys off the edge that Grayson would have been running toward. I can only imagine the reaction if one of those two guys blew him up.

Imagine if we had done that and it resulted in another Kansas type turnover that game them 90 seconds to drive the field?

Then everyone complaining about how we won would really have had something to complain about

satis1103

DAOTONPYH EHT LIAH LLA
None of the last 2 minute game clock management arguments may happen at all if the refs didn't horribly misspot the 2nd and 19 scramble by Mule. He was at least a yard past the marker when they finally got him down, yet mysteriously it's 3rd and 1 with no replay review. I thought that was pure horse crap. Particularly when contrasted with the fact they made sure to review the non-backward pass OSU threw near their goal line to figure out whether it's 3rd and 10 or 12.

BABYFACE

None of the last 2 minute game clock management arguments may happen at all if the refs didn't horribly misspot the 2nd and 19 scramble by Mule. He was at least a yard past the marker when they finally got him down, yet mysteriously it's 3rd and 1 with no replay review. I thought that was pure horse crap. Particularly when contrasted with the fact they made sure to review the non-backward pass OSU threw near their goal line to figure out whether it's 3rd and 10 or 12.

Up around our row, we all wondered why GP didn’t challenge that spot. Even if replay didn’t confirm a first down, there is no way they agree with the spot being a full yard short.

PurpleBlood87

That was pretty apparent. There's a couple of key differences though including that JR had to hobble back on the field so everyone knew that he was either sandbagging or could only be a decoy. The other is that the Mule went under center instead of the wildfrog formation. They play was actually there to be had if we hadn't got beaten on the edge block. But we did get beaten and badly. At least we didn't run OOB or fumble.

I did like the use of the sugar huddle.

CountryFrog

How about some positive things:

GM bounced back after a rough start to play a very solid game. Made some plays with his legs, hit a couple throws downfield and played mistake free after the fumble.

Reagor was Reagor. He's an absolute beast. I really hope we can get things figured out at QB and OL next year and stay healthy so that we don't waste this tremendous talent. I have a feeling that he may only be around for one more season. He may be the most explosive player we've ever had. LT is the only guy I can remember being that explosive in the open field.

The defense played as close to perfect as you possibly can be for about the first 40 minutes of the game. I know they gave up some plays toward the end but their dominance for the first 2 and a half quarters is what allowed the offense to find its way and not have to get away from the game plan.

Jajuan Johnson and Jeff Gladney were all over the place making plays all night. Gladney totally shut down Wallace every time they were matched up. Johnson was a big part of shutting down the OSU running game and obviously had the TD.

I can't view this season as a success but these last two weeks were a huge success. Last night was a tremendously fun way to end the year and I'm looking forward to seeing this team one more time. Most importantly, more practice time for all the young guys.

Wexahu

GM bounced back after a rough start to play a very solid game. Made some plays with his legs, hit a couple throws downfield and played mistake free after the fumble.

Reagor was Reagor. He's an absolute beast. I really hope we can get things figured out at QB and OL next year and stay healthy so that we don't waste this tremendous talent. I have a feeling that he may only be around for one more season. He may be the most explosive player we've ever had. LT is the only guy I can remember being that explosive in the open field.

The defense played as close to perfect as you possibly can be for about the first 40 minutes of the game. I know they gave up some plays toward the end but their dominance for the first 2 and a half quarters is what allowed the offense to find its way and not have to get away from the game plan.

Jajuan Johnson and Jeff Gladney were all over the place making plays all night. Gladney totally shut down Wallace every time they were matched up. Johnson was a big part of shutting down the OSU running game and obviously had the TD.

I can't view this season as a success but these last two weeks were a huge success. Last night was a tremendously fun way to end the year and I'm looking forward to seeing this team one more time. Most importantly, more practice time for all the young guys.

IMO Gladney has gotten to that point where he's totally comfortable out there, knows he's really good, and now just dominates with a swagger. He's a badass. He's had a couple subpar games but even then they weren't that bad and I believe he was fighting through an injury. So glad he's coming back.

Moose Stuff

IMO Gladney has gotten to that point where he's totally comfortable out there, knows he's really good, and now just dominates with a swagger. He's a badass. He's had a couple subpar games but even then they weren't that bad and I believe he was fighting through an injury. So glad he's coming back.

Has it been stated as an absolute fact that he’s coming back for his SR year? GP dropping it into one of his rambling press conference dialogues means literally nothing to me.

Wexahu

Has it been stated as an absolute fact that he’s coming back for his SR year? GP dropping it into one of his rambling press conference dialogues means literally nothing to me.

No, it hasn’t. But I sure hope he does. Not sure what round he’d be projected at but I’d guess somewhere in 3-4 at the worst?

Moose Stuff

No, it hasn’t. But I sure hope he does. Not sure what round he’d be projected at but I’d guess somewhere in 3-4 at the worst?

I don’t know enough to argue one way or the other on that estimate. He’s an NFL caliber player though, no doubt about it. Reagor, Gaines, Banogu, Collier, Blacklock, and Gladney all seem destined for the NFL IMO. Niang and Sewo not far from that group.

ifrog

Kids won that, not the coaches. GP is lucky it worked out. I don't think he even realized OSU had a time out left.

Should have went for a td out the gate. Everyone watching with us was like..."wth, putting it on the kicker given what has happened this year?"

Even Gundy was in shock at the play calls on that end. He was border line laughing when he shook Gary's hand.

That was one of Coach P’s best victories yet. Some of you just can’t help yourself that you don’t like Patterson.

Last edited:

ThisIsOurTime

Well said. Also, think it is worth mentioning that Sewo had a big impact in our run game. His ability to give several tough runs and give others a breather was big. In addition, our willingness to use WRs as RBs was also effective for making some plays and giving our RBs a breather.

I also think we will see our WR group play better in the bowl game as they get some more practices with the Mule. There were several plays where the timing was slightly off that could change with some more repetitions. We are still looking for another receiver to emerge and am hoping we can get Hunt, Stephens or someone else to make the next jump. This bowl game could be that time.

I am hoping Cumbie opens things up more in this bowl game. We need to find a way to develop an intermediate passing game to keep the LBs back or make them pay for keying on our short passing and running game. For this reason, I think next year Pro Wells might have a field day even though the Muel will have moved on.