• The KillerFrogs

Gameday Thread: Cowboys vs Horned Frogs

Pharm Frog

I’m glad to read that y’all were as irritated with the end game management as I was. It’s one thing to have a bad night of math. But it’s quite another to have it happen repeatedly and over many years.

Not sure we’d need a “clock coach” but we damn sure need a spreadsheet that says how much clock could be killed given time out scenarios by direct snap kneels (2 seconds) v other plays (4 seconds or 5 seconds).

Pretty simple stuff without even doing PERT-like most optimistic v most likely v most pessimistic. Simple enough that we were able to figure out before the first quick kneel a scenario by which we could have gotten to a 4th down snap with the clock running at 5 seconds and never having to hand the ball off. In that case you just run a few receivers into the end zone and lob the ball high over their heads OOB.

But the killer was the FG attempt. Made less than no sense.

PO Frog

I think that was on Mule

I can’t imagine Song wanted it in the right hash - guessing mule lost where he was in the field
The refs didn't spot it properly. Mule ran to right center about 5 yards inside the right hash but the ref spotted it on the hash. Told my buddy sitting next to me that they couldn't have screwed us any worse.

Mean Purple

I think that was on Mule

I can’t imagine Song wanted it in the right hash - guessing mule lost where he was in the field
All in all, I think the whole offensive unit was confused as to why the hell they were not lining up to punch it in the end zone. Calls coming in were a mess. I'm sure Mule was like, "surely I am reading that sign wrong"

Pharm Frog

All in all, I think the whole offensive unit was confused as to why the hell they were not lining up to punch it in the end zone. Calls coming in were a mess. I'm sure Mule was like, "surely I am reading that sign wrong"

We should not have been trying to score anything at all. If we had just direct snapped and run toward the farthest sideline before laying it down on those three downs we could have snapped the ball on 4th down with the clock running and no more than 5-6 seconds left. Running receivers into the end zone and lobbing a ball 10 yards out the back of the EZ would have ended the game.

Scoring would have been dumb and they probably would have let us do that and helped push us in the end zone.

CountryFrog

We should not have been trying to score anything at all. If we had just direct snapped and run toward the farthest sideline before laying it down on those three downs we could have snapped the ball on 4th down with the clock running and no more than 5-6 seconds left. Running receivers into the end zone and lobbing a ball 10 yards out the back of the EZ would have ended the game.

Scoring would have been dumb and they probably would have let us do that and helped push us in the end zone.
My thought was to take a knee on first down, then during the timeout tell whoever you're about to give the ball to that the defense is probably going to let you score so go down at the 1. Then on third down take a knee in the middle of the field. It wouldn't have run as much time off the clock but then you're kicking a 20 yard field goal instead of a 35 yarder.

Moose Stuff

One thing I’m certain of is that no matter what we did and no matter what the result was somebody on here would have complained about it.

Moose Stuff

If anyone complained about winning the ballgame without giving Okie Lite the ball back, scheiss em

The idea that we could have done something to run an extra 18-20 seconds off the clock seems pretty far fetched to me. And someone absolutely would have complained about it. On the second down play OSU blitzed two guys off the edge that Grayson would have been running toward. I can only imagine the reaction if one of those two guys blew him up.

Pharm Frog

The idea that we could have done something to run an extra 18-20 seconds off the clock seems pretty far fetched to me. And someone absolutely would have complained about it. On the second down play OSU blitzed two guys off the edge that Grayson would have been running toward. I can only imagine the reaction if one of those two guys blew him up.

Didn’t need an extra 18-20 seconds...only about 8-9 before ending the game on the 4th down play. But as LisaT pointed out repeatedly and accurately last night it would have been nice to have a functioning play clock.

Moose Stuff

Didn’t need an extra 18-20 seconds...only about 8-9 before ending the game on the 4th down play. But as LisaT pointed out repeatedly and accurately last night it would have been nice to have a functioning play clock.

Whatever the timing of it was, it still seems far fetched to me to think we could have run an extra 9 seconds off the clock. Either way...... my sole point was that someone would have complained about it.

Pharm Frog

Whatever the timing of it was, it still seems far fetched to me to think we could have run an extra 9 seconds off the clock. Either way...... my sole point was that someone would have complained about it.

Some people wanted to throw the ball into the end zone and attempt a FG with our current special teams’ abilities, so you are correct that some idiots would complain.

PurpleBlood87

Is anyone else still baffled by the decision to run a toss sweep on third-and-one after TCU had lined up three times before with Mule under center and ran the sneak? Cumbie trying catch the magic of the Baylor game short-yardage play with Reagor.

Pharm Frog

Is anyone else still baffled by the decision to run a toss sweep on third-and-one after TCU had lined up three times before with Mule under center and ran the sneak? Cumbie trying catch the magic of the Baylor game short-yardage play with Reagor.

That was pretty apparent. There's a couple of key differences though including that JR had to hobble back on the field so everyone knew that he was either sandbagging or could only be a decoy. The other is that the Mule went under center instead of the wildfrog formation. They play was actually there to be had if we hadn't got beaten on the edge block. But we did get beaten and badly. At least we didn't run OOB or fumble.