• The KillerFrogs

Game thread: Frogs v. Indiana State

Portland Frog

In past years we can alll point to times when we got nervous when certain starters were given breathers throughout games and the production level would drop with the subs in. Now the depth is there where I don’t really get worried. For the most part the frogs just keep rolling.

Granted we will see what happens in conference play against better teams. And I still wonder how they look if Samuel gets into foul trouble early against the KUs, WVUs, etc. but this team is getting better and I can’t wait to see how they do when conference play begins.

Let’s get Mayen and Angus healthy to join the party soon.

BleedNPurple

I agree in Samuels - he’s going to be in foul trouble a lot. Was proud that he played last 7 minutes without fouling out today. Indiana St is very scrappy and TCU scrapped right there with them. Arche looks promising - Noi looks consistent and solid. That game against SMU and USC looked like breakout games for our physicality. We’re looking more like a B12 Baylor/ Kansas team right now than we did a few weeks ago. Going to fun to watch these guys hunt together!

BleedNPurple

Have to confess - haven’t followed Baylor this year - wow, that’s a drop off. Forget the Baylor part - focus on Kansas. I just remember how Baylor out muscled us last 2 seasons.

Frog Wild

Ticket Exchange Pass
I think Samuel is going to be a foul target, justified or not.
Having said that, this appears to be a deep team. Certainly a good eight players, I'm guessing ten if necessary.
I am very optimistic, best team in years

Horned Toad

Samuel had an awesome game today but if doesn’t get better at free throw shooting he’s going to experience a hack fest under the basket.

netty2424

I think Samuel is going to be a foul target, justified or not.
Having said that, this appears to be a deep team. Certainly a good eight players, I'm guessing ten if necessary.
I am very optimistic, best team in years
Yah the book is out on him for sure. You could tell IST went after him early trying to get fouls out of him. He’s going to be a hell of a player in the next couple years. Pumped he’s a Frog!!

He’s still adjusting to the speed of the game and often finds himself a step behind sometimes which forces a foul.

4th. down

In past years we can alll point to times when we got nervous when certain starters were given breathers throughout games and the production level would drop with the subs in. Now the depth is there where I don’t really get worried. For the most part the frogs just keep rolling.

Granted we will see what happens in conference play against better teams. And I still wonder how they look if Samuel gets into foul trouble early against the KUs, WVUs, etc. but this team is getting better and I can’t wait to see how they do when conference play begins.

Let’s get Mayen and Angus healthy to join the party soon.

The Big 12 teams will go after Samuel quick and take away our inside threat and rebounding. Alok is getting better though, needs more minutes too but so does Samuel.

A tight 3-2 zone press will give us trouble if Samuel fouls out - look for that from Kansas and Tech. Need Lat to play real bad, they say he's a shooter. Might RS Angus. Someone is going to get cut for next year as we will be 1 over, Nembhard?

JogginFrog

The perimeter defense is far better than anything I saw from last year's team. Hopefully that continues through Big 12 play.

Numbers bear that out. TCU's defensive efficiency for the season is 24th nationally at .883 points per possession, a vast reduction from 1.035 last season, which ranked 225th per https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/defensive-efficiency

On the other hand, the Frogs' offensive efficiency is only 69th so far this year at 1.069 ppp, down from 14th last year (1.127). It has taken the team a while to figure out what to do without Vlad, who was one of the most efficient scorers in the country last year. But the trend is positive--the last three games offensively have been much closer to last year's rate (1.132, ranking 36th).

Of course, that could change in conference, especially with Tech and Kansas State both in the top 5 in defensive efficiency. Tech is crazy stingy on D. Per 100 possessions, they have given up 73.5 points, 7.5 points less than the number-two team nationally in that category. Their SOS is only 85th, so it's partially the competition, but I would be shocked if they don't finish tops in that category in March. Will need a lot of patience to beat those guys.

netty2424

Numbers bear that out. TCU's defensive efficiency for the season is 24th nationally at .883 points per possession, a vast reduction from 1.035 last season, which ranked 225th per https://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-basketball/stat/defensive-efficiency

On the other hand, the Frogs' offensive efficiency is only 69th so far this year at 1.069 ppp, down from 14th last year (1.127). It has taken the team a while to figure out what to do without Vlad, who was one of the most efficient scorers in the country last year. But the trend is positive--the last three games offensively have been much closer to last year's rate (1.132, ranking 36th).

Of course, that could change in conference, especially with Tech and Kansas State both in the top 5 in defensive efficiency. Tech is crazy stingy on D. Per 100 possessions, they have given up 73.5 points, 7.5 points less than the number-two team nationally in that category. Their SOS is only 85th, so it's partially the competition, but I would be shocked if they don't finish tops in that category in March. Will need a lot of patience to beat those guys.
I’d imagine the offensive inefficiencies came from the two scorers in Fisher and Noi being injured early?