• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Why TCU won’t hesitate to start true freshman Max Duggan this season

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Why TCU won’t hesitate to start true freshman Max Duggan this season

By Drew Davison

TCU coach Gary Patterson didn’t hesitate when asked if he’d be comfortable starting a true freshman at quarterback this season.

“If he’s the guy …” Patterson said at Big 12 Media Days. “The key is we’re going to play whoever we have to play. Who’s the guy?”

In other words, do not rule out Max Duggan from winning the starting quarterback job for TCU. Duggan has impressed since arriving on campus in January, and has already earned the respect of the coaching staff and teammates.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article232738632.html#storylink=cpy

Eight

Our starter will wind up being a guy named Eddie...

2HvGkwT.jpg

SuperBarrFrog

"Patterson doesn't rule something out, says he will play the best player available" is about the least shocking thing ever said.

Whether orn it translates to a true freshman getting a start for only the second time in Patterson's 19 seasons is a different matter altogether. Thinking that's still exceedingly unlikely.
The times they are a changing. GP just saw Clemson crush Bama with a true freshman.

Froggish

As long as JR and Baldwin are in flux Duggan is no doubt going to get plenty of snaps early to see if he can be the guy. I have said it all along, it’s an open competition until ISU..Game 5 is where it gets real and by then being a Freshman is irrelevant. By Game 5 Duggan will have been on campus for 9 months..

1st half of game 1 snaps of the 2019 season are going to go to Delton after that Duggan and Collins will get their shot..To much shade around the JR injury for me to believe he’s going to really factor early, but I could see him being a player in the back half of the schedule.

My gut tells me Collins moves on as a Grad Transfer after the season

tcumaniac

The times they are a changing. GP just saw Clemson crush Bama with a true freshman.
A more reasonable comparison is that he just saw Brock Purdy take over half way through the season for a struggling Iowa State team and go 6-1.

I've become a broken record about this on 247, but I hope like hell our coaches have the guts to start Max Duggan. With Justin still not healthy and Baldwin still recovering from surgery, Max clearly has the highest upside potential. Everything coming out of TCU is that Max has been exceptional and continues to do nothing but impress. Son of a head coach. Weight room junkie. Film room junkie. Student of the game. Tremendous arm. 4.5 speed. Natural leader. Red hair. The kid has it all.

I don't care what people say about Alex Delton. He's a tremendous athlete, but he is NOT a Big 12 Championship caliber QB. Despite our atrocious quarterback play last year, there were two schools in the Big 12 that had a lower QB rating than us: KU and KState. Their sloppy seconds won't be winning us a championship.

And most importantly our season sets up PERFECTLY for breaking in a freshman QB. Our first real challenge at ISU isn't until week 6 due to an early bye week.

This is our year to compete for a championship. We have almost all the pieces, which includes a seasoned offensive line. We lose a ton of elite play makers after this season (Darius, Reagor, Niang, Blacklock, Gaines, Gladney to name a few), so we can't screw around and squander away this opportunity with a transfer QB with limited upside.

If Max is anywhere close to even with Delton or Collins coming out of fall camp, you start the freshman. He has the highest upside, more than a month of winnable games to get up to speed, and gives us the best chance to win a Big 12 Championship and beyond. All aboard the Max Train. Choooo Choooo! Letssssss go!

SuperBarrFrog

A more reasonable comparison is that he just saw Brock Purdy take over half way through the season for a struggling Iowa State team and go 6-1.

I've become a broken record about this on 247, but I hope like hell our coaches have the guts to start Max Duggan. With Justin still not healthy and Baldwin still recovering from surgery, Max clearly has the highest upside potential. Everything coming out of TCU is that Max has been exceptional and continues to do nothing but impress. Son of a head coach. Weight room junkie. Film room junkie. Student of the game. Tremendous arm. 4.5 speed. Natural leader. Red hair. The kid has it all.

I don't care what people say about Alex Delton. He's a tremendous athlete, but he is NOT a Big 12 Championship caliber QB. Despite our atrocious quarterback play last year, there were two schools in the Big 12 that had a lower QB rating than us: KU and KState. Their sloppy seconds won't be winning us a championship.

And most importantly our season sets up PERFECTLY for breaking in a freshman QB. Our first real challenge at ISU isn't until week 6 due to an early bye week.

This is our year to compete for a championship. We have almost all the pieces, which includes a seasoned offensive line. We lose a ton of elite play makers after this season (Darius, Reagor, Niang, Blacklock, Gaines, Gladney to name a few), so we can't screw around and squander away this opportunity with a transfer QB with limited upside.

If Max is anywhere close to even with Delton or Collins coming out of fall camp, you start the freshman. He has the highest upside, more than a month of winnable games to get up to speed, and gives us the best chance to win a Big 12 Championship and beyond. All aboard the Max Train. Choooo Choooo! Letssssss go!
This is exactly what I’ve been telling myself and my football knowledge doesn’t touch yours. If a dummy like me gets it, let’s hope the powers that be do too.

4th. down

As long as we are spitballing, on short yardage or goal line, Blacklock in the deep back position with an H back blocking and Delton under center. No more bubble screens on short yardage or goal line.

Putt4Purple

Whew, that was very exhausting, but good!

Froggish

This has been my narrative since the day they announced Deltons Transfer..History is very clear..We take a dumpster dive every year we have to start over at QB. If Im GP Im doing everything in my power to make sure I find a starter for 20-21-22...I have 3 options with 4 to play and I’m spending all my resources getting one of those guys built for it. Duggan is the most logical guy to ride or die with..

I’ll add that you can’t convince me that we can’t duplicate last years offensive production with any of our QBs on the roster. Add to that a healthy squad and we’ll give anyone in the conference a run and win 9 minimum.