• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Ty Summers might win job at defensive end

Peacefrog

Degenerate
It also speaks to the quality depth at LB, since apparently GP has been happy with them. Ty's weakness at LB was in pass coverage, so if we can add some more speed at LB while Summers provides great DE play, its a win-win. As has been discussed a lot on here, having a bunch of tackles doesn't tell the whole story.
Montrel Wilson has apparently looked very good in practice and GP has been very happy with him. From what I hear anyway.

Limp Lizard

Most of the guys listed as linebackers were highschool safties or safety / LB tweeniers (Arico Evans, Travin Howard, Sammy Douglas, Montrel Wilson). So we have safties playing LB & LBs playing D-end. Obviously Patterson favours speed over size and the strategy works in the 'finess' Big 12. The laws of physics suggest this will catch up to us when a team tries to run the ball down our throat. Of course the greatness of Patterson is not subject to the laws of physics. Just ask Wisconsin.

I'll add that - No offense to the great string of LBs that started with David Hawthorn, Tank Carder, Daryl Washington, Henson, Dawson, Brock, etal... we plug and play LBs and perhaps its an easy position to star in GP's defense. If Summers can show out at D-End, look for him to be drafted as a NFL Jack Linebacker like Jerry Hughes or Josh Carraway.
You need to tell GP that. Apparently he has no idea how to structure a defense against the run.:rolleyes: BTY he did address that in the interview when mentioned how they were getting bigger at tackle.

Uncle_Frog

Montrel Wilson has apparently looked very good in practice and GP has been very happy with him. From what I hear anyway.
If gofrogs is to be believed, Wilson is up to 225. In that after practice video, Patterson seemed to really perk up when talking about Wilson. With Howard, Wilson, Douglas, and Evans, I can understand the move with Ty to DE if the position is that lacking. Just a bit of a bummer that Chambers and Overshown haven't panned out yet and we have to move a starting LB to DE.

Question: Is Wilson a sophomore or junior? I've seen it written as both this off season but he never had a RS year and certainly could have gotten a medical RS last season. Would be surprised if he wasn't a RS sophomore.

LVH

Our run defense was ass last year, the worst I have ever seen it under Patterson. Giving up 200 yards on the ground was an extreme rarity until last season where it happened almost every game, we had many games where we gave up 300 on the ground.

Frog-in-law1995

Our run defense was ass last year, the worst I have ever seen it under Patterson. Giving up 200 yards on the ground was an extreme rarity until last season where it happened almost every game, we had many games where we gave up 300 on the ground.

If by "almost every game" you mean four games, and by "many games" you mean twice, then yes, 200+ yards on the ground happened almost every game and 300+ happened in many games.

netty2424

It also speaks to the quality depth at LB, since apparently GP has been happy with them. Ty's weakness at LB was in pass coverage, so if we can add some more speed at LB while Summers provides great DE play, its a win-win. As has been discussed a lot on here, having a bunch of tackles doesn't tell the whole story.
Agree onehundo about LB depth. Fortunate to have that type of problem, so there are seemingly parts to spare.

I also thought we had receivers who would pick up where JD and KL left off and that didn't happen. So even though number of tackles doesn't tell the whole story, that's still a lot of tackles someone else will have to come up with. There's no guarantee that happens either.

Another way too look at it is if we aren't "short" at DE, does TS name even come up as a potential move to that spot? I don't think it does. Meaning I don't believe he's a better DE than he is a LB.

But I'm just a fan board dude speculating while hoping I'm wrong. I would love it if TS dominates that DE position. Just think it's situation that's forced GP's hand. That's all I'm saying.

y2kFrog

Look at the sack leaders last year in the NFL. Lots of LB/DE combos around 250 (Ty at 240 is not far off especially since we're talking college ball). Sacks are so important in today's game, and if he can get them he needs to be there. I bet Ty will be able to hold his own against the run too.

Jet Set Frog

GP put TCU on the map by taking players from one spot, putting them in another, and making them stars.

I really like the idea of Ty at DE. He's going to get around blocks real quick and in a hurry and is going to play havoc in the offensive backfield. Dis gonna be guuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuud.