• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Twenty years ago today: A look back at the world the last time TCU danced

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Lee%20Nailon%20on%20ball%201998.JPG

Twenty years ago today: A look back at the world the last time TCU danced

BY STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

It was 20 years ago today — literally to the day on Tuesday — the last time TCU men's basketball played in the NCAA tournament.

Many current students on campus weren't even alive yet, including four players on the Horned Frogs' roster.

TCU (21-11) opens the Detroit Regional of the NCAA tournament at 8:40 p.m. Friday at Little Caesars Arena against the winner of Wednesday's play-in game between Arizona State and Syracuse.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article204645014.html

LVH

I was there 20 years ago.

What I remember most from that day was the Valpo-Ole Miss game. I was only 9 years old but all I remember is Florida State outplaying us and all the TCU fans telling me not to worry since we would be back next year since Fowler and Nailon would be back.

y2kFrog

That day was devastating, made even worse by Valpo taking out Ole Miss. I knew losing Penny, Jones, Johnson, and Davis meant we were going to take a step back. I didn't realize it would take 20 years to get back. If I had known that...

peacock

Im still convinced that team would have made the Final Four if we had beaten FSU....our region broke wide open for us...we would have had to beat 15 Valpo, 8 Rhode Island, and 3 Stanford to reach San Antonio that year.....so disappointing!

westoverhillbilly

I remember driving up for that game in downtown Oklahoma City feeling that Billy Tubbs would be familiar with the surroundings being that he was just a few years removed from OU.. I remember both of the MJ's took the ball down the court undefended on a fast break and one throwing the ball up for an easy alley oop and the other not going up and we didn't even get a bucket out of it, which was very typical for how the game went..

Like an earlier post, I thought that we would be back the following year even without the MJs but Billy was dead man walking at TCU in that they wouldn't extend his contract- the TCU execs (both academic and athletic) didn't like his only allegedly graduating 1 of about 35 scholarship players in his tenure..

Boomhauer

I had recently been accepted to TCU for enrollment that fall and was excited to watch the game to see what they were all about. Even though it was a disappointing game I figured they'd be back in the NCAA soon and after seeing the football team had gone 1-10 I was thinking TCU was going to be a basketball school.

Well, fast forward a month and I'm doing a Monday at TCU and remember the tour guide walking us up stadium drive and telling us how excited they were for football and how they were going to turn it around with this new guy named Franchione...

PurpleBlood87

Knew I wasn't going to get tickets from TCU so I called Valpo's ticket office and got on their waiting list on Monday.

The guy in charge said he doubted they would sell their allotment and luckily they didn't because I ended up with four tickets and sold them the other three to people KillerFrogs.