1. The KillerFrogs

FWST: Tomlinson says NFL’s handling of Kaepernick’s protests is ‘a black eye’ on the league

Discussion in 'Killingsworth Court, Formerly The General Forum' started by TopFrog, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Tomlinson says NFL’s handling of Kaepernick’s protests is ‘a black eye’ on the league

By Drew Davison

Hall of Fame running back LaDainian Tomlinson has gone through the gamut of emotions in the last week when thinking about the racial injustices still facing our country.

He’s been frustrated. He’s been sad. He’s been mad. He’s having conversations with his children, ages 8 and 9, and trying to explain the tension from city to city and even in Fort Worth as protests continue amid the death of George Floyd, a black man who died May 25 in Minneapolis after a white police officer pressed his knee into Floyd’s neck as he was handcuffed.

As a former NFL player and now analyst on NFL Network, Tomlinson can’t help but think back on the 2016 season when then-49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick knelt during the national anthem as a way to peacefully protest social injustices.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article243222491.html#storylink=cpy

Old Purple and PhillyFrog like this.
  2. Why would you bother to post the facts, LVH? No one is interested in facts. Facts are boring, and don't advance The Narrative.

3. We'll see. The next time he does will be the first.

4. Facts get in the way of my virtue signaling. Fie on facts! And fie on anyone who tries to identify root causes.

5. Can't get to root causes without first landing on a problem definition. Unfortunately, too many people find it expedient to "define the problem" in ways that make it impossible to get to "root cause(s)" much less apply solutions to predetermined desirable outcomes.

6. What was it about the information he posted that was not factual? Which points exactly?

Frog79, 4th. down, stbrab and 3 others like this.
  7. Most of those graphics relate to crime rates overall, and saying "blacks kill more people than whites" which is usually a dog whistle to the racist crowd, but let's give LVH the benefit of the doubt on that one.

But that's not what this is is about, it's not what LT is talking about, it wasnt what Kap was protesting. This is about the systemic injustice that African Americans face from the police and other positions of authority. There's only one graphic that addresses that directly, the one about whites being killed more by police than blacks (it's the "media focuses on this one" graphic). Even then, just looking at the chart should make obvious the issue: There aren't half as many African Americans as there are Whites. Indeed the stats show that while there are more whites killed by police (because there are more whites overall), blacks are 3x as likely to be killed by police than whites are.

8. What has that got to do with KP and the NFL other than Fox and Friends like the reports?

FrogCop19 and 2themax like this.
  9. That said, I still disagree with LT here. Kap was not "blackballed" by the 49ers nor anyone else. Hence the reason why he settled. After Harbaughs departure, his production dropped significantly and he had injury issues, so the Niners moved on. They tried to trade him to Denver, he wouldn't accept a restructured contract. He then became a free agent and no other team signed him. Some expressed interest, but they could never get together on money.

Yes, the negative attention surrounding his protest can't be ignored, but let's also be real and recognize that if he was Lamar Jackson he would be signed to a team right now. To the best of my knowledge, every other player that protested alongside him continue to play in the NFL. This was primarily, but not exclusively, a financial issue not a protest issue.

Kap is no more blackballed than Dak is today. He thought he was worth more than 32 teams thought he was. Fair play to him, don't settle if you think you're worth more, buuuuut it's not a crime to not pay you Top 10 QB money when realistically you're somewhere around around borderline starter / really good backup.

COWTOWN FAN, YA, Punter1 and 5 others like this.
  10. Your argument is so disingenuous and intellectually dishonest.

You can't just look at purely the population. You have to look at who is committing the crimes. Blacks account for over 50% of violent crimes.

You clearly didn't even look at all of the statistics he shared. For every 10,000 white people arrested 4 are killed. For every 10,000 black people arrested, 3 are killed. But go ahead and continue to insulate yourself with left wing media propagated narratives.

11. Brewing, LT is talking about beer and the people who want to justify the treatment of KP by arguing about French wine.

It is a complete disconnect from the problem at hand.

Police misconduct is always bad and a crime.

It crosses over into a higher and more disturbing level when racism is the motivator.

2themax and Todd D. like this.
  12. And why do you think that is? What are you saying here?

And do you think this somehow excuses being 3x more likely to be killed by police?

YA, screetch and TCUdirtbag like this.
  14. Point is simple, but apparently still going over your head.

Blacks are more likely to be killed by police because they are disproportionately more likely to be the one's committing the crimes, which is especially egregious relative to the proportion of the population they make up.

Want to argue there's a police brutality problem? Sure. Go for it. There's a case to be made if you want to.

But to say there's a police brutality problem specific to black people isn't statistically supported, no matter how much the media may try to push that narrative down our throats.

COWTOWN FAN, TheFDN, Frog79 and 2 others like this.
  15. OK, let's assume a just distribution of these arrests (that is, everyone caught is guilty, everyone not caught is innocent). That's a tall ask as we all know, but bear with me. Again I will ask: Why do you think they are "disproportionately more likely to the the one's committing the crimes"?

I'll ask another way. It seems you agree that:
    1) There's a police brutality issue (or at least you agree that there's a case to be made).
    2) Because they are (allegedly) committing more crimes, said brutality issue disproportionately affects African Americans more than whites.

So then...where exactly is your disagreement that African Americans are disproportionate victims of this issue?

screetch likes this.
  16. Despite my better judgment I’ll comment in this soon to be removed thread

The problem, as is often the case, is that nobody is saying what they really feel/want and nobody gets to the underlying issues.

Kind of like the COVID debate of whether to open things up or have everyone locked at home for longer. The real issue is that some people believe the government has the ability and obligation to support people for long/indefinite periods of time and others don’t believe this to be the case. Theres good points on both sides.

My hunch is that the real underlying issues with the protests go back many many years that have resulted in societal issues that can’t be fixed besides with hundreds of years of gradual movement. My guess is that until more immediate and financial “actions” are taken, one side won’t be happy.

17. If all cops are racist, as you seem to imply, then how is it possible that there are Black cops? Or Asian cops? Or Sikh cops? If the profession was the hive of screeching racism that it is claimed to be by the hordes of "social justice" loudmouths, then why would such people join the force?

Further, considering that the police force is indeed integrated to a very large degree, why would such overt (as claimed by the "social justice" race-mongers) racism be tolerated by their fellow officers?*

*There have been two Black law enforcement persons killed in the last few days. One, a Federal officer in Las Vegas was shot from a van passing by the building he was stationed in front of, and a retired St. Louis Police Captain was shot as he was helping a friend guard a Pawn Shop. Nobody seems to care about this. At all. Certainly not in the Media, which has portrayed the rioters and looters as "peaceful." Just more invisible black-on-black crime...

18. In your previous posts I understood what you were trying to get across, but didn't agree with it.

Right now, I'm not sure what you're trying to get across.

Again, my point is simple: if you commit more crimes, you then have more interactions with police, and therefore you are more likely to be killed by police. Black people commit a statistical majority of violent crimes, and are therefore more likely to have contentious interactions with police, and then are ultimately more likely to be shot.

The % of the population each race makes up is fairly irrelevant. If you want to make the claim that black people are exceptionally and unfairly more likely to be accused of a crime relative to a white person, and therefore their encounters with police are exceptionally higher, then so be it. But that point is purely anecdotal and can't be statistically proven.

Finally, I think it's reasonable for someone to argue that there is a police brutality issue in this country that stems from poor vetting and poor training. But again, there is no statistical evidence that shows that police brutality has anything to do with racial motivation. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you.

Salfrog likes this.
  19. I thought the federal officer was in Oakland. Or is there still another?