• The KillerFrogs

FWST: There’s a new batch of horned frogs in town — and not at TCU

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
texas%20horned%20lizard

FWST: There’s a new batch of horned frogs in town — and not at TCU

BY RYAN OSBORNE
rosborne@star-telegram.com

FORT WORTH – The TCU football team will have some new — and tiny — fans this season.

Thursday, the Fort Worth Zoo announced the hatching of 37 Texas horned lizards, each about the size of a bottle cap.

The zoo posted a picture on Facebook of one of the baby lizards — yes, they’re technically lizards, not frogs. But they still have a slight resemblance to TCU’s horned frog mascot, minus the shades of purple.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article164245152.html

Frog DJ

This is excellent news!

Back in the 50s, we could easily capture them right in our own backyards, every day.

Of course, there were also lots of red ants for them to eat back then, too - but no more.

Go Frogs!

hindry

there is (was) a horned frog entombed in the Throckmorton County Courthouse, he was one hungry rascal went the let him out,

also there are 2 Martians buried in Aurora cemetery.

FrogAbroad

there is (was) a horned frog entombed in the Throckmorton County Courthouse, he was one hungry rascal went the let him out,

also there are 2 Martians buried in Aurora cemetery.

Actually, just one alien body, origin unknown, in a grave now unmarked because vandals stole the marker placed there by the city.

Deep Purple

Not Throckmorton. Eastland County Courthouse in the town of Eastland, about 80 miles west of Fort Worth. I stopped there about 3 years ago on a TCU trip to/from Midland. The horned frog's mummified remains are still preserved in a little display window at the courthouse. His name was Old Rip.

When TCU dedicated the below sculpture outside of Reed Hall several years ago...

8b87125d8026808ec21c952767c3154a--frog-statues-fort-worth.jpg

...the student body voted to name it Old Rip, after the famous Eastland County horned frog.

also there are 2 Martians buried in Aurora cemetery
Yeah, one of those Martians was named Old Rip and his mummified remains are displayed at...

Kidding. I have no first-hand knowledge of the Martians buried at Aurora.

Bizarro Frog

Used to catch them at the Blue Raider athletic fields on Altamesa when I played sports there in 70's & 80's. They were all over the place and would shoot blood at you. Never contemplated they would virtually disappear in my lifetime.

Deep Purple

Used to catch them at the Blue Raider athletic fields on Altamesa when I played sports there in 70's & 80's. They were all over the place and would shoot blood at you.
You caught Martians off Alta Mese Blvd? And they shot blood at you? Was it green, toxic, and acidic, like in Alien?

Seriously, there's no part of Texas where, up until the 70s and 80s, you couldn't easily find and catch horned frogs almost anywhere. During the 60's and 70s as a boy, teen, and young adult, I used to catch them down in Houston, now the 4th largest city in the US. When I first moved to Fort Worth in 1978, I caught one in rock garden right outside my doctor's office.

Imported Brazilian fire ants have decimated the harvester ant colonies that were once so prolific in Texas, and which horned frogs thrived on.

Last edited:

Deep Purple

I'm pretty sure I saw one outside Clark freshmen year 2002. Didn't realize how little they were up to that point
Yeah, the Clark RA's caught one in a flower bed right next to the main crosswalk on University. They kept it in a shoebox on move-in day to show the incoming freshmen. End of day, they took it back to where they'd caught it and let it go.

RollToad

Baylor is Trash.
You caught Martians off Alta Mese Blvd? And they shot blood at you? Was it green, toxic, and acidic, like in Alien?

Seriously, there's no part of Texas where, up until the 70s and 80s, you couldn't easily find and catch horned frogs almost anywhere. During the 60's and 70s as a boy, teen, and young adult, I used to catch them down in Houston, now the 4th largest city in the US. When I first moved to Fort Worth in 1978, I caught one in rock garden right outside my doctor's office.

Imported Brazilian fire ants have decimated the harvester ant colonies that were once so prolific in Texas, and which horned frogs thrived on.
scheiss fire ants.