• The KillerFrogs

FWST: The story behind TCU’s new basketball tradition ... the BTF winner

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The story behind TCU’s new basketball tradition ... the BTF winner

BY DREW DAVISON

Judging by the box score, Desmond Bane didn’t have the best night in TCU’s 87-69 victory over Eastern Michigan.

Bane was just 1-for-7 from 3-point range, finishing with 11 points, five rebounds and three assists. But Bane did the little things on the defensive end to make a difference.

That’s why Bane earned “BTF” honors for his effort, TCU’s newest basketball tradition. BTF stands for “Big, Tough, Frogman,” something implemented when former UT-Arlington head coach Scott Cross joined the program as an assistant last offseason.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article222405020.html

Benny

What is up with the new tradition of standing until the other team makes their first basket? Who came up with that and why? I might be showing my age, but I find myself rooting for the opposing team to score so that I can sit down.

I wish they would bring back the tradition of having the student section hold up newspapers while the opposing team is being announced pregame, but I guess it is hard to find newspapers these days, and the current millennial college students probably wouldn't understand it.

Brog

What is up with the new tradition of standing until the other team makes their first basket? Who came up with that and why? I might be showing my age, but I find myself rooting for the opposing team to score so that I can sit down.

I wish they would bring back the tradition of having the student section hold up newspapers while the opposing team is being announced pregame, but I guess it is hard to find newspapers these days, and the current millennial college students probably wouldn't understand it.

An absolutely ridiculous "tradition". We stand for the anthem, great, then are told to stand through all the almost deafening music and video and player introduction, then remain standing until the opponent, of all things, scores their first basket. I notice that absolutely no one, that's no one, sitting in the highest price area behind where Mr. Schollmeier sits, follows this "tradition". No one in the folding chair line down by the court follows it. If we were asked to stand until the Frogs score their first basket, might be more understandable. But to finally give a sigh of relief and sit down when the opponent scores its basket, somehow doesn't seem to fit. Get the committee together, please, and find us a new "tradition".

Yeah I’m out

Now the whole crowd just stares down at their phone 75% of the game.

Limp Lizard

Uh, this string was supposed to be about the BTF award, not about the new fan tradition they are trying to start.
I thought Fisher deserved the BTF award for Friday, he was physical, making rebounds, really hustling despite just coming back from knee surgery.

froginmn

An absolutely ridiculous "tradition". We stand for the anthem, great, then are told to stand through all the almost deafening music and video and player introduction, then remain standing until the opponent, of all things, scores their first basket. I notice that absolutely no one, that's no one, sitting in the highest price area behind where Mr. Schollmeier sits, follows this "tradition". No one in the folding chair line down by the court follows it. If we were asked to stand until the Frogs score their first basket, might be more understandable. But to finally give a sigh of relief and sit down when the opponent scores its basket, somehow doesn't seem to fit. Get the committee together, please, and find us a new "tradition".
Bold statement.

Moose Stuff

Or you could just not do it.

Brog

Or you could just not do it.

You're right, Moose. But if you're not really able to stand that long, and one of the few people who do, stand right in front of you, you miss out on the first few minutes of the game. Don't know how to get around that.