• The KillerFrogs

FWST: The future is now: Jamie Dixon predicted TCU basketball success

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
The future is now: Jamie Dixon predicted TCU basketball success

BY STEFAN STEVENSON
sstevenson@star-telegram.com

When Jamie Dixon was introduced as TCU's basketball coach in March 2016, he didn't hesitate to set the bar high.

"We are here to win. We are here to win right now," Dixon said on March 22, 2016.

Even the staunchest of TCU diehards, however, couldn't be blamed for thinking it would take Dixon, back on campus at his alma mater after a 13-year tenure leading Pittsburgh, a few more years to have the Horned Frogs riding high.

Read more at http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article204298719.html

WhiteHispanicFrog

Curmudgeon
CA64E0F8-2330-4EBC-A332-EA37B5854646.gif

tcumaniac

"It was like a surreal moment for me. Being here for four years," Kenrich Williams said. "Coming in to TCU I had this planned out in my head, so to see it happen in real life is a blessing. I think the future for TCU basketball is bright. We’re just getting it over the hump and setting it up for the future. This is huge for the city of Fort Worth, huge for TCU and huge for TCU basketball."

Kenrich will go down as one of my favorite Frogs of all time.

BleedNPurple

I love it when a plan comes together. Had hoped to have CJD here many years ago and wrote about that in this board routinely. The minute it was announced he was coming I oicked up the phone and bought season tickets. I have been watching TCU basketball all the way back to Buster Brannon. After Billy I couldn’t believe the cliff we fell off of. Inexcusable!

Happy days are here again and thrilled about it!

Leap Frog

I love it when a plan comes together. Had hoped to have CJD here many years ago and wrote about that in this board routinely. The minute it was announced he was coming I oicked up the phone and bought season tickets. I have been watching TCU basketball all the way back to Buster Brannon. After Billy I couldn’t believe the cliff we fell off of. Inexcusable!

Happy days are here again and thrilled about it!
The hiring of Buster Brannon is not in the ball park with Jamie's, but it was a real winner in it's day.
Coach Brannon put the Frogs on the map by winning 3 straight SWC titles and playing in the NCAA's.
He also did away with the "Barn" and got DMC built.-- quite a big deal at the time. Might say he got things started.
Now, off to bigger and better times, and as stated above, "Happy Days".

Horny 4 Life

The hiring of Buster Brannon is not in the ball park with Jamie's, but it was a real winner in it's day.
Coach Brannon put the Frogs on the map by winning 3 straight SWC titles and playing in the NCAA's.
He also did away with the "Barn" and got DMC built.-- quite a big deal at the time. Might say he got things started.
Now, off to bigger and better times, and as stated above, "Happy Days".

What happened to Coach Brannon's teams after that last SWC championship in 59? I know nothing of the man or his teams, but his wiki page shows that the team records fell off a cliff after that season.

Leap Frog

What happened to Coach Brannon's teams after that last SWC championship in 59? I know nothing of the man or his teams, but his wiki page shows that the team records fell off a cliff after that season.
Before coming to TCU,Brannon had been a coach for awhile and was pretty successful at Rice until lured home.
About the nicest man I ever met, and did the job that he was hired for-- to get the Frogs serious about basketball.
It's right to say his teams did not do well in his last few years, and he retired leaving things to Johnny Swaim.
He did however, bring in the first black player (James Cash) and leave a good bunch ('67-'68) to win the SWC for his successor.

BleedNPurple

Johnny Swaim and of of course Coach Killingsworth - great basketball! Billy Stubbs was fun. Don’t know why we had to suffer with everything else in between. I was a kid living in the apartments across the street from AGC - we went over and watched football practice every day with Bob Lilly etc.. I watched DMC get built. I’m old - what can I say :)