• The KillerFrogs

FWST: Team Purple won TCU football’s spring game. Did a QB start to separate himself too?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Team Purple won TCU football’s spring game. Did a QB start to separate himself too?

BY DREW DAVISON

Parking wasn’t easy to come by outside of Amon G. Carter Stadium on Friday night.

Sonny Dykes’ debut spring football game generated a nice buzz with nearby lots filling up more than an hour before the scrimmage started at 7 p.m. And fans weren’t disappointed in the outcome. Hey, TCU won.

More specifically, Team Purple pulled out a thrilling 10-7 victory over Team White in a two-quarter scrimmage. After time had expired, Team White was given two chances for a walk-off victory from the 16-yard line but senior quarterback Max Duggan missed on both of his pass attempts.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article260531897.html#storylink=cpy

asleep003

3 quarters would have been nice... 1 1/2 quarters to watch the #1s and #2s was a little too light to evaluate. But do thank you SD, for the openness!

Last edited:

Tony Lema

Ticket Exchange Pass
From what I understand, the read option play had to be either a pass or handoff, the option for the QB to read, keep, and run was not available. Too much risk of injury.

Eight

After watching Sam Jackson last night. Why can't he play some slot receiver or be used as a ball carrier in some packages?

He's too fast and elusive to be sitting on the bench.

Or as a returner.

the counter would be time spent at other positions is time spent away from reps at quarterback and max has one more year so you are talking about a player who could possibly be competing for a starting role at quarterback in 2023

asleep003

After watching Sam Jackson last night. Why can't he play some slot receiver or be used as a ball carrier in some packages?

He's too fast and elusive to be sitting on the bench.

Or as a returner.
I agree with 8... plus we do have a plethora of skilled players, so a couple times a game max, as our #3 at QB and nothing for now behind him... but return man, Ha Ha Ha!!

PurpleBlood87

the counter would be time spent at other positions is time spent away from reps at quarterback and max has one more year so you are talking about a player who could possibly be competing for a starting role at quarterback in 2023

Why waste a season.
At least use him a few series.

Eight

Why waste a season.
At least use him a few series.

if sonny and riley think it brings something to the offense do it

my thoughts are indeed skewed based upon the past seasons where the offense didn't really have an identity as much as concepts and far too many gimmicks, trick plays, and such that never really fit or built on anything

first goal to me is build and offense that uses the talent you have and there is a bunch of talent on that side of the ball, maximize the number of touches for some key people, and then if you can add something like jackson for a few series great

i just don't want to see plays that could and should be focused on someone like quentin or miller be wasted on gimmicks and packages

asleep003

I think he could do some damage on punt returns.
So could Max... but you really want our top 3 QBs dodging 11 missiles coming at them 6-8 times a game... when our #1 and #2 missed games last season. After #1 and #2, he's by far the best we got, then it's a green freshman. But yes, he could do some damage in that area.