• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU to open Big 12 football season as SMU game moved to Friday primetime slot

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU to open Big 12 football season as SMU game moved to Friday primetime slot

BY DREW DAVISON

The Battle for the Iron Skillet will have a Friday Night Lights feel to it this season.

The Big 12 announced kickoff and TV information for upcoming games on Tuesday, and the TCU-SMU game is getting primetime treatment by moving into a Friday night (Sept. 11) slot on Fox Sports 1. Kickoff is set for 8 p.m. at Amon G. Carter Stadium.

The game had been scheduled for Saturday Sept. 12. By moving it up a day, TCU will be the conference’s first game of the season. The conference announced that remaining television selections will be announced on a 12-day or six-day basis.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article245394710.html#storylink=cpy

Putt4Purple

I'm glad I deferred for next year. Friday night at 8pm in a practically empty Stadium. 0 excitement for this set up. Sad how things have played out this year. I'm rooting for the team though. Go Frogs!

The prospect of opening the 2020 season as the TV 'National Game of the Week' is somewhat

bothersome. Particularly, since at the helm we have a transfer, inexperienced, fourth string QB

being pitted...against what is allegedly SMU's most experienced team in decades. This Frog team

seems to be somewhat of an enigma. Concerned, but hopeful.....

Froginbedford

The prospect of opening the 2020 season as the TV 'National Game of the Week' is somewhat

bothersome. Particularly, since at the helm we have a transfer, inexperienced, fourth string QB

being pitted...against what is allegedly SMU's most experienced team in decades. This Frog team

seems to be somewhat of an enigma. Concerned, but hopeful.....

Do not sleep on SMU....

Wog68

I'm hoping that the baseball game preceding our telecast doesn't go extra innings and I have to stay up til after midnight here in the Eastern time zone.

riffram2011

I think the fact that hockey and basketball are still playing is messing with my brain. It doesn’t feel right that CFB is starting next week. Am I the only one feeling like this? I’m excited but just confused haha

Froginbedford

Why not? We certainly did last year.

That was the most unprepared and clueless TCU effort I believe I have ever seen. I think there's a lot of folks who want to lay 100 on them this time around.

That's what I'm saying....Sleeping on the Mustangs did and will again result in a complete embarrassment and possibly serious consideration of program shake-ups....

SMU returns a lot of players from the team that served up FrogFannies on a plate last year....

Another untested quarterback on our side of the Tom Landry Freeway....A suspect offense....

Very little to the homefield advantage myth wihout a packed house....

Mean Purple

That's what I'm saying....Sleeping on the Mustangs did and will again result in a complete embarrassment and possibly serious consideration of program shake-ups....

SMU returns a lot of players from the team that served up FrogFannies on a plate last year....

Another untested quarterback on our side of the Tom Landry Freeway....A suspect offense....

Very little to the homefield advantage myth wihout a packed house....
SMU has a good squad and the have built some depth. They win this week, we may be the underdogs this year.

Mean Purple

Another thing to consider is that while this is their qb's second year in the system, he did not have the spring with them before that first season. Now he has had more time to get comfortable with that system, even though he obviously did not have a real Spring practice this year.

asleep003

Very comfortable with Downing under center. He's smart, played in 4 games at Georgia as 3rd team Tr Fr behind Jake Fromm and Justin Fields. Completed 8 of 10 passes for 88 yards and no ints.

He's been in our program for over a year, though the off. will have a new look. We should expect, by the 2nd quarter, what he can do.