1. The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU to investigate its historic ties to racism, slavery amid recent pushes for change

Discussion in 'Hell's Half Acre' started by TopFrog, Aug 15, 2020.

1. TCU to investigate its historic ties to racism, slavery amid recent pushes for change

By Jack Howland

TCU is launching an effort to research its own historic ties to racism following a string of controversial incidents that have called into question the culture and legacy of the school.

The endeavor of academic self-examination has been named the Race and Reconciliation Initiative, the college announced in a news release on Friday. Frederick Gooding, associate professor of African American Studies in the John V. Roach Honors College, will lead the 15-person group over the course of multiple years as they look into TCU’s founders, traditions and named structures on campus as they relate to the Confederacy and the institution of slavery. Students, graduates and professors are all a part of the initiative.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/education/article244972365.html#storylink=cpy

2. In other words "The Snowflake Department will do its best to dredge up every conceivable instance from the past 200 years where a person of color might possibly have been offended. Then we'll escalate that into a big production that will make everyone connected with the university grovel in shame and beg forgiveness for things that happened so long ago that nobody alive today can even remember. Then we'll demand that the names of all the buildings be changed. Then we'll demand that the school's name be changed to Texas Colored University."

Is that about how this will go?

Frog79, DelFrog, CardFrog and 8 others like this.
  3. World’s gone crazy

Salfrog likes this.
  4. Or we will learn a little more of our history.

Some people will try to weaponize it to change things to get what they want...and other people will [ hundin] and moan about the world today.

But while it might be an annoying process...it will be a net positive to know more about our history.

5. They've let the cancer that is "Studies" into the University, and the infection is proving fatal.

The University is at a crossroads. They can either take this opportunity to cut away the cancer spreading and metastisizing, or they can let them destroy the University as a whole. With this move, it seems they have chosen the latter course. With enthusiasm.

6. That sentence about the school name could be considered offensive and ill-chosen for usage....Maybe like use of an inappropriate word in the locker room....

HG73 likes this.
  7. It's all I could think of on short notice. How about "Westernmost Confederate State Now Enlightened About Its Former Abuses of African Slaves University".

BankerFrog likes this.
  8. It's weird how tearing down statues, renaming schools/buildings, and cancelling prominent figures from our past helps us learn MORE about our history.

9. If it was decades ago, what would we be afraid of learning from finding out more of what happened and what motivations were for decisions?? In most countries (USA included) there's a tendency to try and let bygones be long gone . . But they aren't:
    “The past is never dead. It's not even past.”
    ― William Faulkner, Requiem for a Nun
    Edmund Burke (1729-1797) “Those who don’t know history are destined to repeat it.”

Eight likes this.
  10. Will there be a Billy Tohill section?

11. I think Yakov Smirnoff had it right about Soviet history: "The future doesn't bother me. It's the past that's always changing!"

12. So while I agree with your sentiment - so far all this “learning” has resulted in destruction

and it hasn’t been all civil war soldier statues - so using that as an excuse is BS

13. Actually we don’t give a wit about the collective of history, until it can be cherry picked to service a political agenda and punish selective people or groups.

14. #14 Pure Purple, Aug 17, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    Such a farcical endeavor can only be described as...an exercise

in futility or simply a total cluster(censor).

Paint It Purple likes this.
  15. Yeah I agree on this one. Growing up I had assumed that somehow that was a nicer than saying black. Then in college one of my good friends who was black said he didnt like somebody because he used the word colored. Over the years I understand why.

16. That no matter what, WILL NOT change.

17. Charles Tandy made and sold Indian moccasins. That’s some racist bleep. Get his name outta here

18. Geez, get a grip!

froginaustin likes this.