• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU shows fight to force OT, but falls to Kansas in front of raucous crowd

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU shows fight to force OT, but falls to Kansas in front of raucous crowd

By Drew Davison

TCU coach Jamie Dixon felt his team should have won the game. So did guards Alex Robinson and Desmond Bane.

“This one is on us,” Robinson said. “I feel like we lost it more than they won it.”

Yes, there is no consolation for a Frogs team that hung with No. 14 Kansas and had its chances to win it down the stretch. Instead, TCU didn’t get it done in an 82-77 overtime loss on a night that seemingly had everything going the Frogs’ way.

Read more here: https://www.star-telegram.com/sport...niversity/article226104180.html#storylink=cpy

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Great effort and fight but we leave too many points at the line and then too many possessions where we drain the play clock and don't get into a play in time before having to throw up a poor shot at the last second.

Limey Frog

Bottom line: less talent teams clinging to single-digit leads in the game's final two minutes need to resist the urge to slow down the game, eat clock and truncate their offense. Up four with under two to play in regulation TCU had the game won if we just kept scoring. Holding the ball for 25 seconds at the top of the key and trying to blow through a perfectly set KU defense for a score in a five-second flurry of activity was never going to work. It didn't work. It wouldn't have worked a hundred times in a row. KU gets the ball, scores in under ten seconds, rinse and repeat and boom! There goes your ball game. We didn't have a prayer in overtime after the emotional crash of flushing victory down the toilet.

Why do even great coaches like JD give in to the urge to slow down the game this way? Very, very frustrating. Sickening; two hours of hard-fought effort thrown away.

HFrog12

Bottom line: less talent teams clinging to single-digit leads in the game's final two minutes need to resist the urge to slow down the game, eat clock and truncate their offense. Up four with under two to play in regulation TCU had the game won if we just kept scoring. Holding the ball for 25 seconds at the top of the key and trying to blow through a perfectly set KU defense for a score in a five-second flurry of activity was never going to work. It didn't work. It wouldn't have worked a hundred times in a row. KU gets the ball, scores in under ten seconds, rinse and repeat and boom! There goes your ball game. We didn't have a prayer in overtime after the emotional crash of flushing victory down the toilet.

Why do even great coaches like JD give in to the urge to slow down the game this way? Very, very frustrating. Sickening; two hours of hard-fought effort thrown away.

I hate how we do this. It wasn't just last night but we have done it all season. We had incredible momentum and could have put them away. Instead we had three straight possessions of just dribbling into a no shot situation and turning it over. Frustrating. Other than that there were many positives from the crowd and young players growing up.

Jackson

KU gave this win to us but we kicked it back to them like a hot potato. Hard to understand how any College BB Team can he the ball with plenty of time on the clock plus a timeout to give and fail to get a shot off prior to the buzzer. Robinson needs to quit dribbling way more than necessary and pay attention to what really matters....scoring more points than TCU’s opponent. A bonus to doing this....a reduction in his turnovers!

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
Like a prevent defense, trying to shorten the game and reduce their possessions and opportunities, but if you don't score it is going likely to backfire.

Last edited:

CountryFrog

I don't mind running the clock down at the end. I just don't understand why we didn't get our best player involved in the action instead of spotting up in the corner. If someone is going to take a contested shot at the end of the clock then I want it to be Bane.

Peacefrog

Degenerate
I don't mind running the clock down at the end. I just don't understand why we didn't get our best player involved in the action instead of spotting up in the corner. If someone is going to take a contested shot at the end of the clock then I want it to be Bane.
Yeah, I would take Noi from three with someone in his face over almost any other option at that point. But I’m assuming Moneybags Self knows the frogs best shot is Noi it Bane and set up the defense accordingly.

K. Davis has played great the last couple of games, but I wonder why so often he lets the ball roll up the court before picking it up to dribble. I understand there might be some instances at the end of a game or half where you might do that to delay starting the clock a little, but why do that with several minutes left in the half/game?

CountryFrog

Yeah, I would take Noi from three with someone in his face over almost any other option at that point. But I’m assuming Moneybags Self knows the frogs best shot is Noi it Bane and set up the defense accordingly.
No doubt Self knows, but we didn't even ATTEMPT getting those guys the ball at the end so it's hard for me to give the KU defense too much credit.

PO Frog

K. Davis has played great the last couple of games, but I wonder why so often he lets the ball roll up the court before picking it up to dribble. I understand there might be some instances at the end of a game or half where you might do that to delay starting the clock a little, but why do that with several minutes left in the half/game?
The shot clock doesn’t start until he touches it, so we can get deeper into our “offense” (lol) and run more clock.

Froggish

Slowing the ball down at the end of a tight game is best reserved for teams who execute at a high level in the half court. I think the worst mistake a team can make is to go completely away from their identity in crunch time.

The shot clock doesn’t start until he touches it, so we can get deeper into our “offense” (lol) and run more clock.
When our offense (which the announcers lauded us for in the Iowa State game) sometimes amounts to K. Davis standing just inside of half court watching the clock to run down, it seems like we could help it run down by picking up the ball and starting the clock. I guess that is what the LOL is for...…...

PO Frog

When our offense (which the announcers lauded us for in the Iowa State game) sometimes amounts to K. Davis standing just inside of half court watching the clock to run down, it seems like we could help it run down by picking up the ball and starting the clock. I guess that is what the LOL is for...…...
Except the game clock is running the whole time so you can run off some extra seconds from that. So if you're protecting a lead or outmatched (like against KU) and want to shorten the game, you can actually run 35ish off the clock in the possession after a made FG. Probably not a huge deal but you could conceivably limit the number of possessions by 4 or 5 I'm guessing.

MTfrog5

Slowing the ball down at the end of a tight game is best reserved for teams who execute at a high level in the half court. I think the worst mistake a team can make is to go completely away from their identity in crunch time.
Think you can argue we didn't go away from our identity. How many times do we see 10 seconds left on shot clock and then the pick and roll comes up?