• The KillerFrogs

FWST: TCU sees three recruits de-commit in last week. Is Texas stealing them?

TopFrog

Lifelong Frog
TCU sees three recruits de-commit in last week. Is Texas stealing them?

BY DREW DAVISON
ddavison@star-telegram.com

TCU coach Gary Patterson and his staff have done a nice job recruiting over his tenure. This year is no different, but it appears the Frogs may be identifying talent for the rival Texas Longhorns.

TCU has seen a wave of decommitments of late, as well as a current player, sophomore running back Kenedy Snell, announce his intention to transfer.

Defensive lineman Myron Warren, a three-star recruit from Louisiana, announced intentions to re-open his recruitment after receiving offers from Texas and Tennessee. So did Kennedy Lewis, a three-star wide receiver out of Melissa, who had an “amazing” official visit to Texas last weekend.

Read more at https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/university-of-texas/article220143195.html

This isn't even a story. They just put all the decommit tweets and transfer tweets together.

This is just another example of the local media not supporting the local team and showing that it supports the Longhorns. It's pitiful. Everywhere else there would be a story of how could these kids think about leaving the local team or don't worry we talked to the coaches and this wasn't a surprise head coach says they have a plan. Nope, not the Fort Worth Star Telegram or any DFW media.

Mean Purple

Might read if the article purported to indicate “why” the decommits instead of “where”
Because they are doing a better job of recruiting at Texas. Folks may not like to hear that, but if these players are backing off verbal committments this close to early signing, it says a lot.

CountryFrog

Because they are doing a better job of recruiting at Texas. Folks may not like to hear that, but if these players are backing off verbal committments this close to early signing, it says a lot.
This happens every year at every school to varying degrees. Only thing unique about this is that we had 3 guys do it in a short window of time.

Pharm Frog

Do we really have to play the 5 Why’s game? Why are they doing a better job? Why aren’t they better than us earlier in recruiting? Is it really “them”? Without some real strong root cause work I’m not sure what these late period decommits are saying, if anything, at any decibel level. Did the author reach out and interview these kids or their parents or their buddies? That would be an article I’d like to read.

netty2424

I mean I guess the results may suggest that, but big blue bloods like Texas specifically, attract kids before recruiting even begins.....just because.

Does that mean Herman and staff has out recruited GP and staff, or does UT have a significant advantage from the start and Herman and crew don’t have to do as much to begin with?

I don’t have the answer, just spitballing. But my gut tells me we have to do a hell of a lot more.

Wexahu

Watch for one to recommit. Another one we didn't want.

I'm sure these coaches are keeping an eye on all these kids. Not hard to imagine at all a kid who is 16 years old that for some reason or another (genes as much as anything else probably) just doesn't quite develop into what they thought he would as a 17 or 18-year old, so they politely move on. As fans you see the stars and just assume a 4-star kid is better than a 3-star kid......and so on. But the rankings don't keep up with reality. Sometimes "losing" a kid is a good thing.

CryptoMiner

Myron Warren getting all kinds of attention from LSU (will OV the Alabama game) and Lewis is expected to take an OV to Notre Dame.

Last edited:

Wexahu

In the "don't be all that disappointed when we lose out on a recruit" department, Fabian Franklin through 5 games this season at Coahoma Community College is averaging 6.6 carries and 18 yards per game.

Regardless on what his star ranking was, I'm convinced he would have almost never seen the field at TCU, even if he did make grades. The trends toward the latter part of HS career were pointing down sharply.

Dogfrog

This along with is Justin Rogers gonna play this year? Hard hitting stuff.

I don’t think they are doing a better job of recruiting, they are doing a better job of winning (so far this season).